• Others - Pls specify

Votes: 23 16.8%
  • Total voters

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 37
Verified
Trusted
Hello!

Actually I have no grunts against Avast, it is one of the companies who respect most your privacy (with Emsisoft), great protection and lightness.

I have only one negative comment for the new software.....

GUI Glitches!

Sometimes the Main Screen is almost blank.....only showing the placeholders for the images and texts...experiencing now on my old netbook (after 30 mins of fresh install), and have seen this too on our desktop...the GUI goes blank sometimes :(
Sadly, so called "Glitches" can often be the bane in many new updates of software, and very frustrating too!:confused:

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Sadly, so called "Glitches" can often be the bane in many new updates of software, and very frustrating too!:confused:
Yes, this new GUI glitch is never present during their Nitro days....after some time after acquiring AVG then this glitch occurred. But of course it has nothing to do with AVG

JakeXPMan

Level 15
Verified
For me it doesn't leave slow system depends on how configures, but it is fact Avira has many processes and general consumption revolves around 300k
I had opposite experience, my Avira was extremely light, and no slowdown at all. (lack of behavior block compared to others) and if it was heavy at all it was a bit of CPU during the start up but calmed to 0 to 4 percent.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
I had opposite experience, my Avira was extremely light, and no slowdown at all. (lack of behavior block compared to others) and if it was heavy at all it was a bit of CPU during the start up.
When it finds malware, Avira immediately starts a system scan - then my system halts.

Reactions: stefanos

JakeXPMan

Level 15
Verified
When it finds malware, Avira immediately starts a system scan - then my system halts.
I guess laptop/netbook is different. As my old single core PC was able to use Avira very well, with no conflicts, even when removing 2 minor threats.

Can you try Comodo Cloud? it has a nice sandbox, or maybe Avast ?

Last edited:

Kwan ST

Level 2
Really, is it bugless?

But it has ads as one commented here. Also, its BitDefender signatures do not update frequently
for ads block PromoUtil.exe in your firewall, Bitdefender signatures update frequently. I believe that was a problem for 360 TSE

Kuttz

Level 12
Verified
Bitdefender Free simply a fuss free AV with absolutely no ads. BD Free is a bit heavy on RAM but not necessarily a slow AV by any mean. General usage scenarios like opening apps, folder navigation etc BD Free is more responsive than WD despite the latter consuming much less RAM.

The other thing which is a personal opinion is that Avast runs their Free AV as a business by selling user data to 3rd parties for advertisement purposes and there is always the possibility of Avast classifying files as good adware/spyware and bad adware/spyware. BD, Kaspersky on the other hand maintains Free AVs to promote their paid AVs and also to strengthen their intelligence collection network in order to capture zero day threats even better a debatable topic indeed:whistle:.

Sathya

Bitdefender free uses the same engine for scanning as the one used in commercial one. No difference at all. You miss some features thats it. We all know of bitdefender reputation. Kaspersky and all other av use poor scanning engines.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Bitdefender free uses the same engine for scanning as the one used in commercial one. No difference at all. You miss some features thats it. We all know of bitdefender reputation. Kaspersky and all other av use poor scanning engines.
Well I think Kaspersky has good scanning engine.

About Bitdefender, it has good engine and good behavior blocker for a free product.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Bitdefender Free simply a fuss free AV with absolutely no ads. BD Free is a bit heavy on RAM but not necessarily a slow AV by any mean. General usage scenarios like opening apps, folder navigation etc BD Free is more responsive than WD despite the latter consuming much less RAM.

The other thing which is a personal opinion is that Avast runs their Free AV as a business by selling user data to 3rd parties for advertisement purposes and there is always the possibility of Avast classifying files as good adware/spyware and bad adware/spyware. BD, Kaspersky on the other hand maintains Free AVs to promote their paid AVs and also to strengthen their intelligence collection network in order to capture zero day threats even better a debatable topic indeed:whistle:.
I read in some articles before that in many AV today, the two that respect most your privacy are:

Emsisoft and Avast.

Correct me if I'm wrong.