Battle Bitdefender Free vs Emsisoft Anti-Malware

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Hi i am looking for a ligthweigth configuration. I see my computer works well whith Bitdefender free, but i am fan of emsisoft. I like emsi for quick support, professional people, ligthweigth and not unecesary add ons. I know bitdefender free have behavior blocker. In terms of protection i think they are similar and in terms of resource consumtion are similar. What advantaje have Emsi? I see less FP in BD free (include BD is have less alerts and less FP) i never report a suspicious file to bitdefender support and dont know if they are good. ¿What do you think? ¿Emsi offer any advantaje over BD Free?

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
Emsi of course, btw Bitdefender free is not light it consuming about 500 mb of ram

The RAM is the fastest memory in your system....so that's not an good indicator if a program is light or not.
you have to look how many processes are working and if there are any slow downs or breaks

p.s: i have tested a trial of bitdefender antivirus plus 2019 and it was light on
my system (i5 8600k overclocked, 16GB RAM, WIN 10 64 bit, SSD 850 EVO)

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Emsi of course, btw Bitdefender free is not light it consuming about 500 mb of ram
You talk Bull.... ! On my system it is lighter than Kaspersky free, folders and other things are opening faster with BD free

Bd_RAM_usage.jpg

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Isn't Emsisoft uses Bitdefender engine ? If it still does why not use an original Bitdefender AV itself than Emsisoft AV with a modified Bitdefender engine? :p Protection wise both AVs are more or less similar, what differs is the features and configurability which Emsisoft is obviously better. I would say instead of paying for Emsisoft, use BD Free (if you prefer BD engine) coupled with OS armor, SysHardener etc will give you lots of protection free of cost. With the saved money on Emsisoft get an SSD or RAM upgrade which is more worth the money returns.

212eta

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
May 11, 2011
It is, if you're comparing cost-benefit. Instead of "X or Y", more like "Do I need to pay for X or Y is enough? What more do I get that I might need?".
this comparison makes no sense.
Bitdefender Free as the name suggests is free with limited options.
Emsisoft is a paid program with full capabilities and is better known in every respect.
all you need to do is read on the internet about each of these programs.
(y) (y) (y)

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
@Aktiffiso. I am the same as others here who found Bitdefender Free anything but light, in fact one of the heaviest av's I've used and it made things noticeably sluggish, and it was also pretty buggy as some other folk here have mentioned. It's a while since I used Emsisoft but that wasn't exactly light either, so I wouldn't recommend either of your choices if you're looking for light.

How about something like Kaspersky Security Cloud Free alongside OSArmor, although it's probably unnecessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: amico81
L

Local Host

You talk Bull.... ! On my system it is lighter than Kaspersky free, folders and other things are opening faster with BD free

Bd_RAM_usage.jpg
Windows Task Manager is hardly a benchmark, and even there is using way more resources than Kaspersky Free,
Untitled.png

Using memory as performance hit is dumb though, under the right circumstances Kaspersky is extremely light, doesn't take long to go through Kaspersky Sub-Forum and check the performance feedback (the opposite is said of Bit Defender on it's Sub-Forum).
We can't also forget how unstable and buggy BitDefender is too, specially the Free version!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.