Battle Bitdefender free VS kaspersky Free

budda

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 13, 2013
I am using both of these on my pc with comodo firewall.
Today while browsing bitdefender blocked few phishing sites and kaspersky blocked none of it. No notification or alert from kaspersky free.
So it looks like bitdefernder free looks much better than kaspersky free because even though bitdefender is cloud antivirus it uses behavour shiled with anti-phishing and anti-fraud sites.
According to bidefender website
"Bitdefender Antivirus Free uses an innovative technique called behavioral detection to closely monitor your active apps. When it detects anything suspicious, it takes instant action."
so which one do you think is the best?
If there is some one here who can test both the av's with same samples i would like to see the results.
PS.. When petya was launched by hackers pc's with bitdefender free are protected from it so would love to see one on one test from these top antivirus softwares..
I love kaspersky paid one though.

davetenay

Level 2
Verified
Jul 31, 2015
Bitdefender free offers the same protection of the paid version except the antiransomware module. But its active threats control is very capable, while Kaspersky free doesn't have any behaviour blocker. So the choice is easy for me.

Reactions: Kuttz

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
A good reason why Kaspersky didn't protect you well enough is because you have two different piece of antivirus software installed on the same system, with everything that implies (incompatibilities, lack of protectio, BSOD, etc). If you want to test two antivirus or programs, use a virtual machine or use passive mode if the software includes it.

Regarding to your question, both of them should perform really good. They don't provide too much protection compared to the paid versions, but they have some good modules and be complemented with CFW, or WF. I may consider VoodooShield.

permar4

Level 1
Verified
Jul 23, 2017
Bitdefender for me, although in some "youtube test" kasperky had better peformance blocking malware despite not having "BB".

Kaspersky has the option for block "PUP", but bitdefender does not count on it I think..

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I am using both of these on my pc with comodo firewall.
Today while browsing bitdefender blocked few phishing sites and kaspersky blocked none of it. No notification or alert from kaspersky free.
So it looks like bitdefernder free looks much better than kaspersky free because even though bitdefender is cloud antivirus it uses behavour shiled with anti-phishing and anti-fraud sites.
According to bidefender website
"Bitdefender Antivirus Free uses an innovative technique called behavioral detection to closely monitor your active apps. When it detects anything suspicious, it takes instant action."
so which one do you think is the best?
If there is some one here who can test both the av's with same samples i would like to see the results.
PS.. When petya was launched by hackers pc's with bitdefender free are protected from it so would love to see one on one test from these top antivirus softwares..
I love kaspersky paid one though.
First, you have to remove one of the two antivirus. You should use only one antivirus.
Then, if you run COMODO Firewall with proper settings, you won't even need an antivirus software.
COMODO Firewall, if properly tweaked, can become an efficient security solution, more effective than each antivirus software because of their whitelist approach (I can pass you my configuration file, if you want).
Then, you may want to keep only COMODO Firewall, or pair it with one of the two antivirus (but it's not needed in my opinion).
I would recommend Kaspersky free, because, from my experience, Kaspersky lab is faster adding new signatures than Bitdefender.

An other option to consider, as mentioned by @RoboMan is VoodooShield free. It's a free security software which uses VirusTotal to detect malware. VirusTotal includes the local signatures of 60+ antivirus. Then, VoodooShield free is default-deny (as COMODO): it doesn't allow any unknown file to execute,

In the end, I would recommend you to use VoodooShield free, because it's much more user-friendly than COMODO Firewall. VoodooShield free can be run standalone, without any antivirus software, as COMODO

Reactions: harlan4096

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
Also, if you don't like popup ads, you will have to find out if there is any or if there is a feature to disable them.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.