Bitdefender + HMP.A : compatibility / redundancy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msoquet

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 10, 2017
Hi,

Taking care of my computer’s security seriously for the first time to the next level. After some research, I am targeting to use the following combo :
- Bitdefender Internet Security 2018
- HitmanPro.Alert
- AppGuard
- ReHips
- AdGuard
- Brave browser

Are BD IS and HMP.A fully compatible running in parallel or will I encounter some conflicts ? Should I desactivate some of their features to avoid redundancy ?

Despite the aggressive protection, I still would like to have a functional anti-keylogger working on my desktop, not only browsers. I read that the one from HMP was of mediocre quality, sometime inoperative. Is the one included in BD IS any better or should I add SpyShelter on top ? Is SpS Premium likely to generate problems with the rest of my setup ?

Thanks in advance

P

plat1098

There have been little clashes between Bitdefender and HitmanPro Alert in the past but none recently (within past month) that I know of. If you have slowdowns or errors/crashes, exclude BD and HMP-Alert from one another to start. This is provided you can cut loose some of the winter parka, sweater, scarf, hat and boots so your machine can breathe on a hot sunny day.

Basically, what you're saying you have on one machine could secure at least two. :) Agreed: Bitdefender/Alert/Adguard makes a fine core combination. Alert's keystroke encryption is serviceable if used in conjunction with other browser hardening techniques, especially uMatrix (if you're so inclined). Otherwise, your antivirus should take care of the flat-out spyware should you ever come across it.

msoquet

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 10, 2017
(y)Thanks for your valuable inputs. I don’t mean to make extreme choices but I would not want to fall on the light side neither experiencing some loophole. My end goal is actually to play with a very secured machine.

Not minding to buy AppGuard and AdGuard since they cost a one time fee, no subscription. Brave probably then makes little sense after AG but then again, it is free and enjoyable.
Bitdefender I will get from eBay for cheap and it seems to have less false positives than Emsisoft which was my other choice. Its signature (database shared with Emsi here) scanning seems rock solid and I don’t mind a mediocre performance and some latency, only best protection.
HMP.A mostly to cover anti-exploit and anti-ransomware, anti-malware more than BD to a lesser extent ?
I am actually unsure about the quality of antiransomware / antimalware ? Most seem to praize it for the anti-virus part, also anti-phishing.
ReHips (and how its supposed to evolve) make it very appealing to test out new software past AppGuard block, sandboxed instead of using a VM. It represents however the most costly expense. So maybe only good judgemental behavior will replace it.

Thanks for the uMatrix advice as anti-keylogger top up, will have a look at it. :X3:(y) I am really after best key encryption

Side note, already very pleased with ProtonMail Plus for encrypted emails which I can only praise !

What about extra firewall or VPN for internet/WiFi tunneling ? Unneeded to compliment my armor shield ? Thx for your welcomed opinions

I should in fact use only BD + VoodooShield on other machines which I am more relaxed about :geek::coffee:

Last edited:
Reactions: Garzaman

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
For vpn I would like to suggest windscribe ; stacksocial usually has a sweet deal for this on lifetime subscriptions. If you are worried about staying safe and annonymous online , you can also ad dnscrypt

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Bitdefender Internet Security has built-in behavior blocking etc.
If you combine it with HMPA -- even if you don't see issues -- you are taking a calculated risk. Because you might not get protection when you really need it. Both programs will be trying to block a certain behavior, and might end up conflicting with each other, rather than stopping the malware. "Too many cooks spoil the soup."

That's why @Umbra's advice is good. If you are running a complex AV suite, don't burden it with another complex product like HMPA.

As for Appguard and ReHIPS, there is a significant learning curve. Don't underestimate it.

If you want to build an advanced security config that comprises several complex programs, don't build it on top of Bitdefender suite. Build it on top of a simple AV such as Windows Defender or Avast free.

P

plat1098

If you want a learning curve, uMatrix has one. I used it in the past but now use more "automatic" browser extensions.

Bitdefender/Alert is a popular combination--also used this combination in the past w/no obvious issues but it's true: Microsoft security is much more amenable to layers. I would use Bitdefender by itself out of the box before Windows Def. any time. :)

msoquet

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 10, 2017
Hi guys,

So I have been trying to take into account your (various) remarks. Please stay tolerant : until a week ago I had zero knowledge on all these security software and was merely using paid IObit stuff, what a joke. Long story short, despite this naked setting, I haven’t encountered a single problem for almost 10 years even though being on internet night and day by paying basic behavioral attention.
Consequently, I must acknowledge first that I started an overkill quest, now trying to strip it down.

I have now spent more time reading forums and watching videos.

Where I am now :

1) stick to Bitdefender TS because I am attracted to strong anti-phishing and good signature AV with little False Positives. Not minding some resources load/delays. TS edition (instead of AV, very close in features ?) so its basic optimizer will make me drop IObit ASC Pro for good and avoid any redundancy of engine or unnecessary messing up of registry.

2) ditch IObit Uninstaller for AppFalcon which looks to go slightly beyond the minimal installer with crapps remover and program versioning checker. I will also forget about IObit Smart Defrag Pro for Windows Defrag

3) I should disable BD firewall to use the free Binisoft Firewall Control and experience its simplified GUI

4) once very attracted to SpyShelter Premium, after closer investigation, I’ll just pass. Its miscellaneous anti-logging (screen / copy-clipboard / getText) should be pointless and taken care of similarly by my BD protection. ReHips can take care of audio/webcam privacy already. I probably would make a bad use of SpS’ HIPS ability since I am starting over and feel I could lose patience on handling settings properly ...especially since I could get no dedicated help outside documentation from their support (bad reputation)

Instead, since I maintain that I want some last resort past infection key encryption for global desktop use, not only browser, I will pay for KeyScrambler Pro. I requested its dev to add support to my favorite apps already.

5) About Anti-Ransomware, BD’s safety is reported as average. HitmanPro.Alert supposedly knows some failures too.
So, I was thinking that it would become an excuse to train myself ReHips.. and its sandbox features... it sounds more appealing than maintaining a VM with VirtualBox that could leak to host anyway.
Can I take the time to master ReHips on its own to the point of bypassing extra layers of pure anti .exe , namely VoodooShield / NoVirusThanks, + SRP by AppGuard ?
Is there fine educational material on ReHips out there or is it essentially a matter of trial and errors as mandatory?
ReHips is looking to have some updates to come and I like the idea of ongoing active involvement with the promise it could only get better

6) am I failing about the Anti-Exploit part? It is one of my topic of paranoia w/ keylogging cause I eventually use programs prone to this vulnerability to a good extent. I doubt its a good enough reason to buy HMP.A solely of this motivation ?! Sadly Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit has been discontinued and since you recommended not to overlap 2 security suites, Premium is out of the question. Rely on BD and pray god?

7) AdGuard as cherry on the cake, still on my quest to tighten web surfing on poor sites

Overall, what’s your stance on my journey? No pride here, feel shameless to comment if I didn’t connect the dots logically. Thanks for your time reading my noob rambling

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: shmu26 and Garzaman

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hi guys,

So I have been trying to take into account your (various) remarks. Please bear tolerant : until a week ago I had zero knowledge on all these security softwares and was merely using paid IObit stuff, what a joke. Long story short, despite this naked setting, I haven’t encountered a single problem since almost 10 years even though being on internet night and day and paying basic behavoriak attention.
Consequently, I must acknowledge first that I started an overkill quest, now trying to strip it down.

I have now spent more time reading forums and watching videos.

Where I am now :

1) stick to Bitdefender TS because I am attracted to strong anti-phishing and good signature AV with little False Positives. Not minding some ressources load / delays. TS edition (instead of AV, very close in features ?) so its basic optimizer will make me drop IObit ASC Pro for good and avoid any redundance of engine or unnecessary messing up of registry.

2) ditch IObit Uninstaller for AppFalcon which looks to go slightly beyong the minimal installer with crapps remover and program versioning checker. I will also forget about IObit Smart Defrag Pro for Windows Defrag

3) I should disable BD firewall to use the free Binisoft Firewall Control and experience its simplified GUI

4) once very attracted to SpyShelter Premium, after closer investigation, I’ll just pass. Its miscellaneous anti-logging (screen / copyclipboard / getText) should be pointless and taken care of similarly by my BD protection. ReHips can take care of audio/webcam privacy already. I probably would make a bad use of SpS’ HIPS ability since I am starting over and feel I could lose patience on handling settings properly ...especially since I could get no dedicated help outside documentation from their support (bad reputation)

Instead, since I maintain that I want some last resort past infection key encryption for global desktop use, not only browser, I will pay for KeyScrambler Pro. I requested its dev to add support to my favourite apps already.

5) About Anti-Ransomware, BD’s safety is reported as average. HitmanPro.Alert supposidly knows some failures too.
So, I was thinking that it would become an excuse to use ReHips and train myself.. and its sandbox features... it sounds more appealing than maintaining a VM with VirtuaBox that could leak to host anyway.
Can I take the time to master ReHips on its own to the point of bypassing extra layers of pure anti .exe , namely VoodooShield / NoVirusThanks, + SRP by AppGuard ?
Is there fine educational material on ReHips out there or is it essentially a matter of trial and errors as mandatory ?
ReHips is looking to have some updates to come and I like the idea such ongoing active involvement with the promise it could only get better

6) am I failing about the Anti-Exploit part ? It is one of my topic of paranoia w/ keylogging cause I eventually use programs prone to this vulnerability to a good extent. I doubt its a good enough reason to buy HMP.A solely for this motivation ?! Sadly MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit has been discontinued and since you recommended not to overlap 2 security suites, Premium is out of question. Rely on BD and pray god ?

7) AdGuard as cherry on the cake, still on my quest to tighten web surfing on poor sites

Overall, what’s your stance about my journey ? No pride here, feel shamessly to comment if I didn’t join the dots logically. Thanks for your time reading my noob rambling
A few remarks: I tried Keyscrambler recently and was a little disappointed, because it randomly blocked typing in Chrome. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. So don't pay right away, take a trial version and make sure it works right for you. Give it some time.

I agree that SpyShelter Premium is not the way to go, but they do have a cheaper version with only keystroke encryption: SpyShelter Silent. That is something to look into.

Please note that ReHIPS has anti-exe and command line control built in, so you absolutely don't need Voodooshield or NoVirusThanks ERP. Absolutely not necessary.

There are some people who combine ReHIPS with AppGuard, but they themselves admit that either one on its own is sufficient.

By the way, if you made it for many years without heavy-duty security apps, that says a lot. Now that you are more educated, your chances of digital survival are even greater. So there really is no need to drown yourself in advanced security tools, unless you enjoy the challenge. Careful users will avoid infection even with bare minimum protection, and happy clickers will always get infected in the end, no matter what.

boldrake

Level 1
Oct 21, 2016
By the way, if you made it for many years without heavy-duty security apps, that says a lot. Now that you are more educated, your chances of digital survival are even greater. So there really is no need to drown yourself in advanced security tools, unless you enjoy the challenge. Careful users will avoid infection even with bare minimum protection, and happy clickers will always get infected in the end, no matter what.

(y)(y)(y)

msoquet

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 10, 2017
Actually I am taking a step forward a routine of newer threats, hence the extra measures now.

Cool, with your validation, I feel like I am closer to nail it down.

I had missed SpS Silent. Excellent
Okay about KS. I was also heading for it after side by side comparison of some internet trial reports. For instance, it seemed it could block Elite Keylogger whereas SpS could not, amongst others. For some reason, I made the assumption that it could be more powerful. Maybe I am mistaken and there is never a clear winner. Will take tests with both.

Reactions: shmu26

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I would keep:

• Bitdefender Internet Security 2018
  • AdGuard
  • Brave browser

Maybe an anti-executable solution. That's it. Pretty much everything is covered. As @Umbra pointed out, suites are meant to cover everything.

msoquet

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 10, 2017
I am actually interested to the anti-theft mecanism of BDTS (more so than optimizer), unless there’s a free alternative in the wild ? I understand it, as lock or erase system remotely on command (if online or better would be if a confirmation is missed every x time schedule or something like that)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.