BitDefender Internet Security 2012 - Idiosyncratic Excellence

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanF1

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
The focus for the 2012 release has definitely shifted from outright capabilities to improved user experience. For the most part the intention has been successful, especially for the previously uninitiated.

The interface is very polished now and the navigation has been improved greatly. That said, though, the new interface layout has been heavily influenced by the Intermediate View of the previous version. And with that, a lot of the options that were available for anyone wishing to tackle the Expert View have been removed. Obviously, the intention was to make the suite as quiet and unobtrusive as possible.

The ambitiousness of the technical approach combined with the still developing cloud infrastructure impact browsing experience and this would have to be one of the areas BitDefender should focus on [obviously they are lagging behind other well established vendors].

It feels a lot more organic now, streamlined and well organized, but still trails the main competitors in terms of impact on system performance and ease-of-use. Although improved, the quietness actually detracts from the overall usability by not providing detailed feedback, for example.

Technically advanced and with usability improving, BitDefender should optimize their products to further enhance speed and impact.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Good review, personally I will add from the cons:

A) When MBAM was installed on the system then trying to install with Bitdefender, it will prompt that MBAM must be uninstall in order to install Bitdefender.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
From that case, surely MBAM will install fine after Bitdefender is in the system.

NathanF1

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
I installed BitDefender first thing after installing the OS and Online Armor Premium, so I didn't have any prompts to remove incompatible software. As it turned out, I had a few issues with OAP itself, which caused me a few headaches, but once I reinstalled OAP [and then the latest OAP 5.1 BETA] it's been good coexistence.

I've used both installer methods - web and offline, the installer is pretty fast [e.g. the online was downloading at an average of 350-370 kB/s] and all up downloads an eye-watering 240+ MB.

In typical BitDefender fashion if any threats have been removed as part of the pre-installation scan, you wouldn't have a clue what they were, apart from a brief notification displaying the number of threads removed, but no further details [names, locations], in the installer window.

Another good point is that you don't have to restart to finalize installation.

I've posted some of the issues and impressions in Security Discussions » Security Products » BitDefender » Bit Defender 2012 thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.