Bitdefender Internet Security 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
This is my first review...Suggestions are welcome:)

My system configuration:
windows 7 64 bit,intel dual core processor,4gb RAM

Settings for Bitdefender:
Active virus control(Heuristics) is set to high.
Intrusion detection system was enabled.

Previously I tried ESET smart security 6 and Kaspersky Internet Security 12..So I compare BD with ESET and Kaspersky in my review as much as I can to compare them

When someone hears the name about Bitdefender first they think that they are resource hungry.I was also having the same feeling till their 2012 products.But when I tried BD internet security 2013 you have to change that opinion:)let me explain their components separately...

Antivirus:
Their detection rates are high compared to other security vendors.I feel that detection rates are far better than ESET and on par with Kaspersky.Let me quote some examples from malware tips forums..detection rates from ESET and Kaspersky are taken from other users who have posted in the respective threads..

240 samples:
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Malware-Pack-240-malware-samples-by-ReviewsAntivirus-InternetChicken

Bitdefender=212/240=88.33%
kaspersky=201/240=83.75%
ESET=226/240=94.16%(2 days after samples were posted)

150 samples:
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Malware-Pack-150-malware-samples-by-ReviewsAntivirus-InternetChicken?page=2

Bitdefender=140/150=93.33%
kaspersky=143/150=95.33%
ESET=108/150=72%

30 samples:
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Malware-Pack-30-files

Bitdefender=29/20=96.66%
ESET=22/30=73.33%

Scans:
1)When I run a full system scan it took hours...In my system full system scan took 5 hours and still did not complete..so I cancelled it...but kaspersky and ESET took only approximately 2 hours!!
2)Cleaning malware also took some time!
3)While scanning I was able to watch videos without any interruptions..But in kaspersky while running full system scans videos will be stuck..while this problem will not be with ESET,the lightest antivirus I have used..

Updates:
Only one option in automatic updates to turn it on or off..I think it will run per hour...cannot schedule updates per 2 hours or daily etc like in ESET and Kaspersky!
Update size is larger compared to ESET and Kaspersky..

Intrusin Detection System:
IDS is better to HIPS in ESET and on par with Kaspersky's Application control...But I feel Kaspersky's application control is best:)

URL scanner:
URL scanner of BD is very good compared to Kaspersky

Privacy control:
BD IS also has chat encryption and identity data protection which is not there in ESET..

Autopilot:
If you want no alerts and notifications use this for silent security!

Comparisons:
Protection:
(Bitdefender=Kaspersky)>ESET
Impact on System:
ESET<Bitdefender<Kaspersky
Usage:
Bitdefender=ESET=Kaspersky

Overall I feel Bitdefender sneaks ahead of ESET and Kaspersky but by just!

Summary:
I feel those who want to have bullet-proof protection use Bitdefender Internet Security...great improvement from BD 2012!

P

Plexx

One suggestion: When reviewing a product, try not to compare to other products. Reason being when a user compares program A with program B and so forth, it tends to go off track and into personal opinion.

If you wish to compare a product against another product, you may use the War room section of the forum.

In regards of the actual tests you conducted: ESET taking 2 hours to complete a full scan leaves me to believe you have tested in a Host machine and not VM. Reason I say that is because ESET on my Host with games etc installed took 1 hour and 20 mins last time I did, just right before switching to CAV.

When I reviewed BitDefender 2013 on a 1 core 1 GB ram 40GB hard disk and not even fully filled, it took 28 minutes.

If you going to test out security suites and against malware, it is strongly recommended to do it in a virtualized system.

BitDefender Auto-pilot does have a draw back which allows some infections to bypass and connections to bypass the firewall.

You can't compare IDS with HIPS. Two different things.

Feel free to view other text reviewes by other users as well.

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
Biozfear said:
One suggestion: When reviewing a product, try not to compare to other products. Reason being when a user compares program A with program B and so forth, it tends to go off track and into personal opinion.

If you wish to compare a product against another product, you may use the War room section of the forum.

In regards of the actual tests you conducted: ESET taking 2 hours to complete a full scan leaves me to believe you have tested in a Host machine and not VM. Reason I say that is because ESET on my Host with games etc installed took 1 hour and 20 mins last time I did, just right before switching to CAV.

When I reviewed BitDefender 2013 on a 1 core 1 GB ram 40GB hard disk and not even fully filled, it took 28 minutes.

If you going to test out security suites and against malware, it is strongly recommended to do it in a virtualized system.

BitDefender Auto-pilot does have a draw back which allows some infections to bypass and connections to bypass the firewall.

Thanks for your suggestion...But I feel HIPS to be less efficient to IDS and application control in kaspersky...

I tested all malwares in my own system...though it is dangerous I trust the 3 AV's that I used...probably I will not test with other AV's...

then BD scan time takes reallly a huge amount of time!

where is the war room section?

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Could you try Emsisoft Anti-Malware with Online Armor? It has the BitDefender engine? With the same samples?
And post the results?

D

Deleted member 178

Moose said:
Could you try Emsisoft Anti-Malware with Online Armor? It has the BitDefender engine? With the same samples?
And post the results?

i posted detection rate of EAM v7 for the 240 & 150 malwares packs, 30 is coming soon.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Biozfear said:

Hello Biozfear, Sir i want to tell you that comparing AV with AV make users able to understand easily but as you are a expert in reviewing your views are right but i think maaster do a cool test.
& In My PC eset does not take more than 40min to complete scan with 1tb of HDD(around 450GB filled.)

ONT209

Level 1
Verified
Feb 2, 2013
Bitdefender don't have HIPS protection unlike Eset and Kaspersky.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=36405

And Bitdefender takes a very very long time on taking action, if we select "Take Proper Actions" option.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=33995

I have some discussion on both matters on the Bitdefender forum, but ..........

Binload

Verified
Apr 21, 2013
I actually like Bitdefender. Auto Pilot is good. Reminds me in a way of Norton's let it run and decide model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.