Battle Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 or Avast Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalwareFire

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 10, 2014
i already have the for bitdefender for 9 months but i want to know wich you recomend

Rohugh

Level 2
Verified
Jul 11, 2014
Comparing chalk and cheese. :) If you want something solid, use Bitdefender, if you would be happy with something a bit crumbly round the edges, use Avast. Having said that they are both very good and both adequately protect the average user.

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
personally I would prefer Avast, I am not a supporter of Bit Defendera I always had problems with it.
slow loading pages.:p

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
I really hate Bitdefender and I am a big fan of Avast :D

So Avast for me.

I got 9 months of Bit Defender 2015 Internet Security Key but still I am not using it. I installed it and reverted. Because

1. Huge Impact on system.
2. Web Browsing felt slow.
3. Download speed decreased ( donno why :S )
4. 455 MB installer
5. Taking so much time to run a Full Scan
6. Was not getting alerts. Donno why UserMode always automatically was changing to AutoPilot.
7. I hate the UI ( But it's my personal choice)

Reactions: frogboy

Rus Anca

Level 25
Verified
Jun 18, 2014
I really help Bitdefender and I am a big fan of Avast :D

So Avast for me.

I got 9 months of Bit Defender 2015 Internet Security Key but still I am not using it. I installed it and reverted. Because

1. Huge Impact on system.
2. Web Browsing felt slow.
3. Download speed decreased ( donno why :S )
4. 455 MB installer
5. Taking so much time to run a Full Scan
6. Was not getting alerts. Donno why UserMode always automatically was changing to AutoPilot.
7. I hate the UI ( But it's my personal choice)
Bitdefender Internet Security 2015-it is a very good product, if you make the correct settings initially !

GabiCRX

Level 8
Verified
Jun 24, 2011
None and both!
Bitdefender it's heavy, avast is light.
Bitdefender has good protection, avast has medium protection.
Between these two i choose Emsisoft, it has the lightness of Avast and protection of Bitdefender!

Reactions: Anupam

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Bitdefender Internet Security 2015-it is a very good product, if you make the correct settings initially !

bitdefender is good product. But it's not kind of an Antivirus atleast I am looking for. Everywhere they promises "Fastest system Speed" but very less users will agree with them on that.

Reactions: frogboy

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
None and both!
Bitdefender it's heavy, avast is light.
Bitdefender has good protection, avast has medium protection.
Between these two i choose Emsisoft, it has the lightness of Avast and protection of Bitdefender!

Between Bitdefender and Avast you choose Emsisoft :eek: . That's out of the box answer :cool:

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
Has the black screen problem after boot been corrected? What is you boot-speed?
-- Do share your observations for the members so we may have a glimpse of the 2015 version.

How can you compare a suite to a stand alone av? You cannot.

I agree there. Have tried out BID 2014 way back and did not like it at all. So many questions left unanswered especially on the firewall side with BD tech support (which after a week of long emails and evidences sent me to the BD forums) and when I got there just a handful helped to no avail. It is there that I have discovered there are also some existing issues not been solved with no replies from the devs themselves. That experience made me not want to try BID 2015 (just yet).

So suite versus a standalone AV may not be a good comparison if I base it on my trial of 2014. (as with LABView707 you cannot do that effectively) (-- opinion based solely on 2014 and my trials).

The AV part I do not question in BD (which is the same as that of Avast's. But everything else when I tried ver2014 was insuffcient to convince me to hang-on to it longer. The alternative comparison that I had was the combi of Avira Free + Comodo firewall with HIPS. All issues with BID 2014 was none as compared with the Avira + Comodo combi (all was well including the boot speed/black screen issue and especially the firewall issues).

Have also tried Avast Free + Comodo and I can say that it's the same as that of the Avira Free + Comodo firewall. No issues like that of BID 2014.

But if I were to choose, it'll be Avast but I'll pair it with a firewall ( Avast plus Comodo or Online Armor) as it's lighter than BDIS and I trust that combi to perform better than BDIS.

Just my two cents :)

Edit/Add:

Black screen is still existing (in Windows 7) as reported here by Rohugh -- I saw him also at the BD forums :)

Y45lTxQ.png

http://malwaretips.com/threads/chec...ternet-security-2014-performance.25189/page-3

I was looking out for the new "Startup Optimizer" that I chanced upon earlier from here, http://www.hotforsecurity.com/blog/...cks-your-launch-time-into-high-gear-9846.html but could not find any info at the BD forums.

Some existing issues with BD 2015,

[escalated] Wallet Autofill, Doesn't work in some websites
http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=54698

Wallet Services
http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=54667

Display glitch on Bitdefender 2015
http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=55133

Autopilot Causes Sound Problems In Vlc
http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=55331

Last edited:
R

RevolutionSphere

Both are good. But as you are comparing with Internet security you must know that it has Firewall plus few more options ( though for me those are junk).

Here is the comparison.

Bitdefender IS :
1. Nice signature
2. Good Zero Day defense
3. Complete package ( Firewall + few more options)
4. High memory uses
5. No ads
6. Web-surfing felt slow ( personal experience on my system)

Avast Free:
1. Fair signature
2. Fair Zero day defense
3. No firewall
4. Ads for premium products
5. Very low memory usage

Now the choice is yours. :)
BITDEFENDER IS MUCH BETTER THAN THIS

Last edited by a moderator:

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
I told that BitDefender is a bad product but people are used with what other people say and not to think, @Raul90 already said a few issues. People love when they lie to themselves,this product is good just because some "suspicious" tests like AV-C, AV-Test ... said.

I posted A lie called protection just to open some eyes, I did good or not ? I don't know time will tell (and maybe some users).

Read EULA before you start using any security software (it is a must)

It is wierd because people send me PM with "bad words" or message me when I tell them this (and other security things that are not welcomed by some).

Last edited:
Reactions: yigido

GLADYS

Apr 16, 2015
What is it you want or need to get out of the AV? for general public AVAST is great, Not everyone is processing customer billing details, so you don't need to worry about PCI Compliance.
I have installed bitdefender on my puter at home, I use that one as a test ground. yes Bitdefender does use a bit of ram. I was ready to remove it for another program and decided to give it one more look thru. #1) I found google chrome was a REAL hog on memory usage. I found that properly setting the bitdefender to the correct mode also made a big difference, so now when playing my little FB games it no longer drags.
Once I get an even better hold of Bitdefender I will then install on work puter for the Additional Security Measures Required. In the meanwhile I will use Epic browser for thing that require higher security standards.
I have also recommended to my family that work, should NEVER be mixed with play. Either have one puter for WORK, and one for play, or at least partition one part for work, and the other for play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.