Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
McAfee Product Comparison (via Promo page):
http://promos.mcafee.com/Offer.aspx?id=559180

Bitdefender Product Comparison (Scroll down):
http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/solutions/antivirus-comparison.html

Which one is better? Why not try both on spare PC, or VM, or check the Internet for reviews?
I used Bitdefender for 1 year, and its too buggy :/
One of my friends used McAfee in 2008 she has bad dreams with that,but I've heard that the new version of McAfee is vastly improved.

Why not try both on spare PC( i am not tester :p), or VM, or check the Internet for reviews?(i see many review but they are't trustful,50% said bitdefender is the best av but its lie :confused: and 50% said another thing! i trust here more than another forums and sites...:D)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Logethica and Kent

MTUser

Level 4
Verified
Sep 11, 2014
I don't understand how bitdefender can score first on AV-Test and AV-Comparatives VS ESET (in performance and detection).

ESET, in my opinion (and i think i'm not the only one with this opinion) is the best paid antivirus ;)

I'm using BitDefender right now and I don't like it.. Too many bugs. ESET needs to make some 6 months licenses giveaway like BitDefender :'(

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I can't help you much because i have never used Mcaffe but i have tried bitdefender 2014 a few months back and it wasn't buggy at all. the only problem i had with BD is that it's a little heavy on my laptop (which is almost 6 years old) and after a few days i was experiencing heavy browsing on the internet(not much). that is my mane concern for BD and i think they should improve PUP detection. i hope i have helped you;)

Neno

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
I tested McAfee (Total Protection) few days ago and i never used an IS suite that heavy. On some samples it scored below average (my own experience). BitDefender IS 2015 is a much better product, but there are better solutions out there. My advice would be go for Norton IS, but than again you should test them one by one and decide yourself :).

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
I can not say anything about McAfee because it never had while Bitdefender I uninstalled it and I was not very happy with it especially slowing the system browser.
Generally speaking I am not a supporter of Bitdefender.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Well I definitely think there are better choices than McAfee.Especially after viewing the John McAfee video.It is quite comical and probably made for that reason but I suppose there is some truth in what he says.I have never personally used it but from discussions here and on other sites I gather it is not your first choice as a line of defense.
I think there are better choices than Bitdefender also.When tested on Windows 8 I found it to be heavy,buggy which caused conflicts and BSOD's.In its defense I am sure they have made improvements since then.However the way they give it away makes me wonder.Similar to a certain VPN software that is also given away like 55,000 bowls of Halloween candy left unattended on the front porch.It's buggy with conflicts.
I voted none.However if I had to choose between the 2 I would choose Bitdefender because it's Av engine is used by many very good programs and has better detection.Of course these are just my personal opinions and others might find one of these 2 choices to work very well for them.

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
My vote is neither.

Well I have had a chance of using both products and let me tell you I have had bad experiences with both of them.

Bitdefender, I had a one year license so I installed it a couple months ago and when I restarted my computer it decided to intercept my WiFi connection and completely cut it off. So I opened it up and dug around the firewall settings and managed to configure it and get the WiFi back up and running. So I go to open up Chrome and browse away. I notice that web pages load very slow. Which I found quite odd cause I'm using fibre here in Canada. So I restarted the computer again to see if that solved the issue and I notice such a slow boot up. I then get so fed up with it within a hour or so installing it and decide to try my best to get into the control panel which took forever ,mind you. I go to click uninstall button and bam I get a BSOD, needless to say I wasn't happy at all with Bitdefender and ain't ever going back. I don't understand how they are constantly rated number 1 in detection and performance. Boggles my mind. Bitdefender has an amazing engine I give them that but the sad part is their software just has so many issues.

McAfee, this was actually the antivirus that came preinstalled on this laptop with Windows 8. Soon as went through the Windows setup and got tot the desktop and seen Mcafee I knew it wasn't going to go well. It basically slowed my computer down to a crawl and took ages to uninstall. At least it didn't mess up my internet or give me a BSOD when I went to uninstall it. It was much easier to uninstall than Bitdefender. I have heard Mcafee has improved their detection but however it still is known to slow your computer down to a crawl.

I'm now using Emsisoft Internet Security and extremely happy with it since it uses the amazing Bitdfender engine and it's in house engine. It's pretty sad how most of the products that use Bitdefender's engine are actually way better. Oh and don't forget Emsisoft's amazing behaviour blocker which I find way better than Bitdefender's active virus control component.

brit

Jan 30, 2014
Last version of bitdefender 18.17.0.1227 is much better than the others.The system boot very nice and the time to scan is much shorter. So i vote bitdefender without hesitation.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
I'm now using Emsisoft Internet Security and extremely happy with it since it uses the amazing Bitdfender engine and it's in house engine. It's pretty sad how most of the products that use Bitdefender's engine are actually way better. Oh and don't forget Emsisoft's amazing behaviour blocker which I find way better than Bitdefender's active virus control component.
Very much agree. 360 IS and Emsisoft use BitDefender engine much better. In fact, I like Emsisoft's way of battling against malwares - direct to the point, specific, no unnecessary whistles, and no bloat. Just protection. And, after weeks of usage, it becomes light even in a netbook computer.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I want to say Bitdefender, however I had major issues with internet connection(s) and one BSOD. The actual Bitdefender engine is truly amazing - excellent signatures, and one must remember that a lot of antivirus software use their engine. Bitdefender just need to work on fixing bugs etc., as it would seem the same bugs occur year after year.

McAfee takes forever to install, the UI is appealing but I'm not too sure whether they provide enough security.

Tony :)

Reactions: omidomi

MisterToto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
I voted McAfee: Bitdefender too buggy, not so hot on detection (McAfee did good on it and improved), I tested the two of them and I prefer McAfee!
Have a nice day !

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I cannot choose between the two but if we are going to base on paperworks it shows Bitdefender is better than McAfee at all instance.

I'm not sure about this however McAfee is capable in business environment than home.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.