Battle Bitdefender Internet Security vs. Avast Premium Security vs. Kaspersky Internet Security

Compare list
Bitdefender Internet Security
Avast Premium Security
Kaspersky Internet Security
In-depth Comparison

ChristianP

Level 1
May 1, 2020
I feel kinda disappointed about Kaspersky, i like their software, but it seems that in the latest test of malware protection their detection rate offline and online are pretty low, protection rate is high, pretty much like the others, but that means you could have malware on your computer , and Kaspersky won't detect it until it's executed. Main reason for me why i switched to Norton, even if i still have 900+ days on my Kaspersky license.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    127.8 KB · Views: 343

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I feel kinda disappointed about Kaspersky, i like their software, but it seems that in the latest test of malware protection their detection rate offline and online are pretty low, protection rate is high, pretty much like the others, but that means you could have malware on your computer , and Kaspersky won't detect it until it's executed. Main reason for me why i switched to Norton, even if i still have 900+ days on my Kaspersky license.
Offline detection means without internet connection. Norton is only 4% higher than Kaspersky in this test. When there was internet connection Kaspersky detected 99.97% and missed only 3. With internet connection threats will be detected as soon as they are placed on your PC. Kaspersky do check new files saved on your disk via their cloud.

ChristianP

Level 1
May 1, 2020
Offline detection means without internet connection. Norton is only 4% higher than Kaspersky in this test. When there was internet connection Kaspersky detected 99.97% and missed only 3. With internet connection threats will be detected as soon as they are placed on your PC. Kaspersky do check new files saved on your disk via their cloud.
Actually it says online detection rate 92.3% , the protection rate is 99.97%, i believe protection is the malicious file being executed, and detection, it's the file itself being on computer but not doing anything, not being executed.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Actually it says online detection rate 92.3% , the protection rate is 99.97%, i believe protection is the malicious file being executed, and detection, it's the file itself being on computer but not doing anything, not being executed.
It's normal for AV to not detect inactive threats by real time protection. But Kaspersky's on demand scanner has cloud access so if you scan your system then malware for which Kaspersky yet not have any signature but already have cloud reputation will be detected during scan.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015

Just some points I'd like to make.

1. Basing your decision in a single test is not wise. The results usually vary a lot from a test to the next and depends on the methodology adopted.
2. Inactive malware in your system is harmless. It can't be allowed to run.
3. If I would choose a product based on that single test it would be ESET with a remarkably high protection and low false positives.
4. Anything offering 99%+ protection is more than enough for real life situations. The fact is that no product out there will offer you 100% protection.

ChristianP

Level 1
May 1, 2020
Just some points I'd like to make.

1. Basing your decision in a single test is not wise. The results usually vary a lot from a test to the next and depends on the methodology adopted.
2. Inactive malware in your system is harmless. It can't be allowed to run.
3. If I would choose a product based on that single test it would be ESET with a remarkably high protection and low false positives.
4. Anything offering 99%+ protection is more than enough for real life situations. The fact is that no product out there will offer you 100% protection.
Indeed, nothing give you 100% protection, the result K got is respectable, i was just pointing out the fact that their online detection is kinda low, in a little over 10.000 malware samples they used. I'm not saying it's bad, just a little disappointed. I was expecting Kaspersky to have a higher detection rate, online and offline.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Indeed, nothing give you 100% protection, the result K got is respectable, i was just pointing out the fact that their online detection is kinda low, in a little over 10.000 malware samples they used. I'm not saying it's bad, just a little disappointed. I was expecting Kaspersky to have a higher detection rate, online and offline.

It still means nothing. It's a single test. If you want to have any idea of what might be the real scenario you should consider at least one year of tests preferably from multiple respected test labs. Never base your decision in a single test.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
from the 3 listed, voted for Kaspersky due to its features and reliability on protection in comparison to the others. One thing I struggled to find is any settings to disable from within kaspersky certain apps/software from using Webcam without disabling as a whole. Maybe latest version has this feature enabled. Last version i used didnt have it (latest in some countries is now 21)

Oh and one grip i always had with Kaspersky: full scan time is just horribly slow (1st scan)...

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
You can block WebCam access for every application via its Application Control rights ;)

View attachment 245147
Ah i never digged into the application control part of the settings, no wonder why I couldnt find it. I made a note so next time I add it to one of my systems I will know where to look for.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.