Status
Not open for further replies.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
is default settings for Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 ok
or should I configure it more and please guide me on those settings for BIS 2013 to increase my system protection just 2 more level above the default protection considering if level 4 might be the extreme one.

and also now that I've got license of zemana anti-logger I wanted to use it along with BIS 2013 so please guide me the settings for it to run along with BIS 2013 realtime.

and and I read Umbra sir's post of
"How to setup Webroot SA alongside another Antivirus"
so I'm also interested in trying this with BIS 2013 and wanted to know if I can follow that guide to use WSAV along with BIS 2013 and zemana anti-logger in realtime.

So in short, please guide me on all the settings, exclusions to do,
to run these 3 security softwares alongside each other in realtime protection without any conflict or lagg to my system and no unusual behavior.
And also comment on what u think of this combo & how it would work together in realtime protection.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Bitdefender as far as I've tested it can be used on default settings and still offer great protection. Some might want to change it, but other not. If I'm right Earth used to use Bitdefender for a while there, so he might be able to help you. :)

VectorFool

Verified
Dec 17, 2012
Bitdefender is a great AV no doubt about it
but the Firewall is simply not upto the mark (if you believe matousec tests and also my personal experience)

If i had a BDIS license, i would contact tech support to convert it into a BDAV license and install some other firewall like Comodo(sandbox disabled, preferably v5.12), Privatefirewall, Outpost etc.

That's the only major configuration change i would do.
and its the only one needed IMO

P

Plexx

Word of advice: turn off Auto Pilot mode since it can make the firewall behave a bit differently and allow/block stuff that shouldn't.

As for settings, default settings are just fine.

No need to over complicate things. If you want a solution with quite a few settings to tweak, BD is not for you.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have only used Bitdefender Antivirus Plus and assuming the default settings are the similar, the web browser Toolbar is disabled. You can enable it if you want to use the Browser Sandbox.

I found default settings perfect for normal use, having only the Antivirus I had the Auto-Pilot switched on.

I may have turned on/increased another setting, but am unsure because it was back in October.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
See Bitdefender Firewall and IDS is good enough. I have stopped using Matousec benchmark.
Use the following configurations for best possible security.
1- Set Antivirus to high.
2- Set Active Virus Sheild AVC to high
3- Turn on IDS(Intrusion detection system) and put it on high. Will catch 99% threats but flags some less known valid programs too. But unblocking is easy with one click.
That is the best possible configuration for BDIS.
Use it and tell me. Dont worry about the Fw component. I did some test and port scan and it was rock solid.
The default config does not have IDS enabled. Thats why it misses some threats.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
malbky said:
3- Turn on IDS(Intrusion detection system) and put it on high. Will catch 99% threats but flags some less known valid programs too. But unblocking is easy with one click.
The default config does not have IDS enabled. Thats why it misses some threats.
:+1:
Also anti-spam to be enabled as it is also OFF by default hehe.

And what does this mean
Biozfear said:
Word of advice: turn off Auto Pilot mode since it can make the firewall behave a bit differently and allow/block stuff that shouldn't.
why to turn off auto-pilot mode.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Auto-Pilot is automated, meaning the program makes choices for you with User Interaction (ie. Choices).

I don't know what rules or policies Bitdefender Firewall uses for making decisions, but what Biozfear is saying it may make a decision that you didn't want. For example: Bitdefender Firewall allowing IObit Uninstaller to have Access to the Internet, when you didn't want it to, because it didn't ask you.

Biozfear, that is what I understood, am I correct?

maaster

Level 1
Aug 5, 2012
default settings is okay for ordinary use...but if you access some risky websites and test malwares consider the following options and its uses..

on-access scanning:
1)In shield option under antivirus u can select aggressive ...It will scan all files including zompressed files on access..this might use system resources...if your configuration is high you can select this..
2)I want to add one point in that in on-access scanning click modify and select actions tab and click "move to quarantine"...BD's on-access scanner will automatically delete the file...this is dangerous if it is a false positive!

Active virus control:
If you select aggressive BD's heuristics will be set to very and there may be false positives

aggressive=high heuristics (many false positives)
normal=medium heuristics (few fp's)
permissive=low heuristics (low fp's)

vulnerability scan:
Turn it ON (default-ON) to check for windows and applcation updates and weak passwords

firewall:
1)beware this problem still exists!
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-unknown-data-usage
this issue exists for months!

2)set paranoid mode to ON if u want to add rules for applications...if automatic laptop mode is ON and when it is run on battery this mode will get OFF and it will not automatically turn ON again!this is a bug...this issue exists for years!

3)turn On "monitor wifi connections" if u frequently connect via wifi

4)Turn on Intrusion detection system (default OFF)..this will impact system performance ...turn ON only if u have good config!

safego:
activate safego for twitter and faceboook

privacy:
I don't know how to use this feature!

In general setting turn password protection ON to prevent un-authorised changes to BD if u use shared computer!

BD cannot be used along with other security programs without any problems...I contacted support for a problem and they asked me to uninstall MBAM although it was disabled!

jasonX

Level 9
Apr 13, 2012
BD cannot be used along with other security programs without any problems...I contacted support for a problem and they asked me to uninstall MBAM although it was disabled!

When I first ran BD IS 2013 I had Mbam "on" as there was no other security layer that was protecting me and that was a first install-first spin with BD IS 2013. Man, even web surfing, updates was darn slow.

P

Plexx

Earth said:
Auto-Pilot is automated, meaning the program makes choices for you with User Interaction (ie. Choices).

I don't know what rules or policies Bitdefender Firewall uses for making decisions, but what Biozfear is saying it may make a decision that you didn't want. For example: Bitdefender Firewall allowing IObit Uninstaller to have Access to the Internet, when you didn't want it to, because it didn't ask you.

Biozfear, that is what I understood, am I correct?

That is correct Earth.

From my tests, some malwares needed to communicate to specific ports not common used and firewall allowed.

I then did the same exact test with auto pilot disabled and got the firewall pop up.

Nothing is perfect but to rely on an auto-pilot to do everything for you has its flaws.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
after doing the 3 things malkby said my PC startup has become damn slow like from 15 secs to 45 and it takes more 10 secs to load to start menu after the welcome. And after clicking on desktop there's no bitdefender icon in taskbar and also the network icon from which I connect to internet also takes more than 30 secs to load. So I would try and revert back to all normal settings with ids on and lets see if it works and startup again becomes fast. When I used to use ESS it was the quickest startup time. Feeling sad but bitdefender will offer more protection than ESS right so I guess its worth to get that 5 more seconds delay in startup. And ok biozfear sir I would turn off auto-pilot and see but it won't be more heavier on resources right, just more pop-ups. And I've 4 GB RAM

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I never had any of these problems. Used bitdefender for 3-4months until license ran out. Now I have a new license so will be using it again.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
Ok now I know and also read that I can only use BitDefender Internet Security 2013 and cannot use other companion antiviruses like Webroot with it, so np about that.
Now please have a look at these settings of mine i.e
BitDefender Internet Security 2013 with Zemana AntiLogger both realtime protection ON
and see if they are fine -
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/5882/setting1.jpg
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/8508/setting2.jpg
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/3821/setting3.jpg

I searched if zemana anti-logger is compatible with BitDefender in realtime protection and got the answer easily here -
http://www.zemana.com/product/antilogger/overview/ (Click on Compatibility and Requirements).
So now using BitDefender Internet Security 2013 + Zemana AntiLogger both realtime protection with the above settings done.

And a FINAL Task Manager view to see if there's no much consumption of memory (Do comment on this if it looks fine or if a bit heavy on resources) -
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9117/taske.jpg
I think everything's fine now. No more heavy RAM usage or anything wrong in settings and exclusions. Right ?

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
All set just put AV also on high. Leave AVC alone let it be at normal levels.
Actually more FPs are gonna come from IDS than AVC so if youwant you can turn AVC to high too.
Thats it you are ready to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.