BitDefender IS 2016

Product name
BitDefender IS 2016
Pros
  • -Vulnerability Scan: the software scans all critical Windows Updates; missing Microsoft software, compare versions of known applications (Flash, JAVA, Skype etc.) and weak passwords on user accounts. Nice to get an overview of what you need to upgrade.

-Password Manager that integrates with browsers, is rather slow (at least on my system) and it's better to disable the default Web browsers like Firefox, otherwise two pop-ups with the request for password entry.

-Pay safe: a sandbox with a virtualized browser inside, no plugins or addons, virtual keyboard. A way to make online payments away from any spyware on your system.

-Firewall: standard, does what It says, the pc is still visible with an ARP scan or PING scan by nmap but has filtered ports.

-IDs: protects critical sistem logs and files, BitDefender itself; prevents DLL Injection and malicious driver installation, check for the presence of API against keyloggers, should prevent homepage changes and default settings of the browser by third parts software .

-Ransomware Protection: you can specify a set of folders to be monitored and a set of software that can access it and make changes, BitDefender monitors those directories and blocks any software (no users changes) attempts to make changes.
CONS
-MITM: BitDefender, for scanning in HTTPS &TLS/SSL connections, install a certificate on the system and use it for a Man in The Middle attack, this allows It to read the contents of the connections by inserting Its certificate at the beginning of all connections.

-VBOX: after installing BitDefender, VirtualBox is no longer functioning. It seems, in fact, that Bitdefender take control on any Hypervisor, I do not know whether to handle SafePay or for a internal sandboxing mechanism for heuristic analysis ... you know, however, that I could no longer use virtual machine, It was rather uncomfortable.

-Ransomware Protection (again): simply boring having to authorise all software that need access to the My Documents folder etc etc.
BOTTOM LINE
Overall rating: To give you two info, once running software occupies approximately 372MB in RAM.
BitDefender is definitely a good product, has a good engine for the recognition of malware and a decent heuristics (heuristics on which other antivirus free or commercial applications, which integrate part of its "engine"). Has many features and is quite customizable. Even if you terminate your services and core processes, ransomware protection remains somewhat active. It is not overly consuming in terms of resources. That's fine for a normal computer user, consumer is uncomfortable on a PC set to security research activities.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Maybe the reason you didn't get a notification or pop-up alert was because Bitdefender was in Autopilot mode. Nevertheless, you should be able to see the actions taken by Bitdefender in the Events (logs).

Hi XhenEd,

I did check the Events Log which is why I know that my installation got blocked. However, sometimes it's user do wish that they have control over what they wanted on their system.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
I recently tried the Bitdefender Internet Security 2016 using 6mth free passes.

What I noticed:
1) my boot time decreased from 3.3 seconds to 2.4 seconds.
2) With intrusion detection set high, the Malwarebye anti-malware failed to install and surprisingly, there is no notification or alert from Bitdefender that it block.
3) RAM usage initially high but it lowers to 180+ MB which is a lil too high for me.

Overall, there is no lag. But I wonder if I can set notification/alert pop-up for Bitdefender?

On a side note, will Lastpass and Sandboxie work with Bitdefender IS?

Read some thread says that both are incompatible and would require some config tweaking which would lowers the security protection. Is that true?

• Password Manager (Wallet) will not work with Sandboxie
  • Invincea recommends turning off Active Threat Control - In that case, you might as well uninstall BD then as turning off Active Threat Control disables most of BD's protections - since - Intrusion Detection System is dependent upon Active Threat Control being enabled !
  • Not sure about LastPass

If you want to have notifications (alerts), then you must:
  • Turn off Profiles (if completely disabled will be blue "Activate Now")
  • Turn off Auto-Pilot
  • Turn on Paranoid Mode

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Hi XhenEd,

I did check the Events Log which is why I know that my installation got blocked. However, sometimes it's user do wish that they have control over what they wanted on their system.
You can always disable Autopilot mode. However, Bitdefender may bog you down with too many alerts. And also, Bitdefender's BRAIN (advanced cloud technology of Bitdefender) is working best with Autopilot mode.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
  • Password Manager (Wallet) will not work with Sandboxie
  • Invincea recommends turning off Active Threat Control - In that case, you might as well uninstall BD then as turning off Active Threat Control disables most of BD's protections - since - Intrusion Detection System is dependent upon Active Threat Control being enabled !
  • Not sure about LastPass

Thanks @hjlbx !

So, basically sandboxie will not work well with Bitdefender? or is it just the password manager?
If sandboxie can't be use, would there be any alternative for sandboxie?

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Thanks @hjlbx !

So, basically sandboxie will not work well with Bitdefender? or is it just the password manager?
If sandboxie can't be use, would there be any alternative for sandboxie?

Sandboxie itself worked fine on my W8.1 with BD. BD Wallet doesn't work with Sandboxie.

Kind of a general indication, but you won't know for sure whether or not SBIE and BD will work together on your specific system until you try it. SBIE is a fast, clean uninstall if need be.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.