BitDefender IS 2016

Product name
BitDefender IS 2016
Pros
  • -Vulnerability Scan: the software scans all critical Windows Updates; missing Microsoft software, compare versions of known applications (Flash, JAVA, Skype etc.) and weak passwords on user accounts. Nice to get an overview of what you need to upgrade.

-Password Manager that integrates with browsers, is rather slow (at least on my system) and it's better to disable the default Web browsers like Firefox, otherwise two pop-ups with the request for password entry.

-Pay safe: a sandbox with a virtualized browser inside, no plugins or addons, virtual keyboard. A way to make online payments away from any spyware on your system.

-Firewall: standard, does what It says, the pc is still visible with an ARP scan or PING scan by nmap but has filtered ports.

-IDs: protects critical sistem logs and files, BitDefender itself; prevents DLL Injection and malicious driver installation, check for the presence of API against keyloggers, should prevent homepage changes and default settings of the browser by third parts software .

-Ransomware Protection: you can specify a set of folders to be monitored and a set of software that can access it and make changes, BitDefender monitors those directories and blocks any software (no users changes) attempts to make changes.
CONS
-MITM: BitDefender, for scanning in HTTPS &TLS/SSL connections, install a certificate on the system and use it for a Man in The Middle attack, this allows It to read the contents of the connections by inserting Its certificate at the beginning of all connections.

-VBOX: after installing BitDefender, VirtualBox is no longer functioning. It seems, in fact, that Bitdefender take control on any Hypervisor, I do not know whether to handle SafePay or for a internal sandboxing mechanism for heuristic analysis ... you know, however, that I could no longer use virtual machine, It was rather uncomfortable.

-Ransomware Protection (again): simply boring having to authorise all software that need access to the My Documents folder etc etc.
BOTTOM LINE
Overall rating: To give you two info, once running software occupies approximately 372MB in RAM.
BitDefender is definitely a good product, has a good engine for the recognition of malware and a decent heuristics (heuristics on which other antivirus free or commercial applications, which integrate part of its "engine"). Has many features and is quite customizable. Even if you terminate your services and core processes, ransomware protection remains somewhat active. It is not overly consuming in terms of resources. That's fine for a normal computer user, consumer is uncomfortable on a PC set to security research activities.
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Also, Bitdefender's B.R.A.I.N. only works best with Autopilot.

Does Bitdefender have this protection?

Do you have link to technical infos that BRAIN network is only enabled while in Auto-Pilot mode, @XhenEd ? BRAIN is Bitdefender cloud... so local config shouldn't matter... but I did find comment from BD Support to @Rohugh that BRAIN algorithms work best when Auto-Pilot is enabled.

Bitdefender is a lot like Comodo in that they're cryptic about technical infos... is it marketing BS or is it actually worthwhile ? User can never decide if there is no infos...

Script protection... not in traditional sense like anti-executable. Bitdefender will allow script to run, but some malicious changes will not permanently damage system. See Cyber Review at You Tube for videos (BIS 2015 ... Malware Tests 1, 2, 3).

Bitdefender is not complete protection; I supplement it with Sandboxie and NVT ERP (solves malicious script problem immediately).

If you test Bitdefender against malwares you will see it is a very interesting product... nice toy for malware tester. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Do you have link to technical infos that BRAIN network is only enabled while in Auto-Pilot mode, @XhenEd ? BRAIN is Bitdefender cloud... so local config shouldn't matter... but I did find comment from BD Support to @Rohugh that BRAIN algorithms work best when Auto-Pilot is enabled.

Bitdefender is a lot like Comodo in that they're cryptic about technical infos... is it marketing BS or is it actually worthwhile ? User can never decide if there is no infos...

Script protection... not in traditional sense like anti-executable. Bitdefender will allow script to run, but some malicious changes will not permanently damage system. See Cyber Review at You Tube for videos (BIS 2015 ... Malware Tests 1, 2, 3).

Bitdefender is not complete protection; I supplement it with Sandboxie and NVT ERP (solves malicious script problem immediately).

If you test Bitdefender against malwares you will see it is a very interesting product... nice toy for malware tester. :D
I read the BRAIN and Autopilot here: Bitdefender BRAIN, No Where to be Seen???

Edit: I believe you already read that link. :D hahaha...

H

hjlbx

Thread author
I read the BRAIN and Autopilot here: Bitdefender BRAIN, No Where to be Seen???

Edit: I believe you already read that link. :D hahaha...

BRAIN = cloud.

They say it works best with Auto Pilot enabled. I am not too sure, but this is what I surmise.

If use Auto Pilot, the cloud will have accurate infos on Active Virus Control and Intrusion Detection System auto-actions as designed\intended.

The more people that use Auto Pilot, the more accurate Bitdefender cloud will be in terms of rating files and allowing Bitdefender to tweak its products.

In other words, Bitdefender has confidence in their algorithms, but none in user response to alerts... whereby user can over-ride Bitdefender and allow a file that it would have blocked according to its algorithms.

A guess...

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
Questions

1) Do you recommend users to install Bitdefender products on their computer?

2) From 1 to 100 what do you guys rate on Bitdefender products?

I might try Bitdefender later on, but first i need detail and information as much as possible.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Questions

1) Do you recommend users to install Bitdefender products on their computer?

2) From 1 to 100 what do you guys rate on Bitdefender products?

I might try Bitdefender later on, but first i need detail and information as much as possible.

Just a general observation about Bitdefender:

• It is geared towards someone that wants little to no interaction with their security soft; even in Paranoid Mode alerts are few.
  • The GUI takes some practice.
  • There are settings dependencies; change one setting and it will change another setting - not a bug, just not explained in manual.
  • There are minor bugs - some bugs aren't bugs - but correct behavior based upon settings.
  • Protection wise it seems good against malwares from testing, but malicious scripts are still a problem (although, it appears BD prevented scripts from permanently damaging system). I got these infos from Cyber Review on You Tube.
  • It is not a complete security solution in my book: it needs to be supplemented with Sandboxie and anti-executable - but I say this sort of thing about all other security suites except Comodo.
  • You need ample RAM; at maximum settings the average RAM use is 250 or so. It goes to 212 up to 300+ on my system.
  • It does impact system shutdown and reboot times... that has never changed from version to version... so I have absolutely no idea how PCMag's Rubenking comes up with his figures. Nor does PASSMARK's testing agree with what I have seen. So I think it is really a system specific performance issue... you have to try it for yourself to see how it affects your system.

It is interesting security soft...

It is one of the security softs that you really must try on your specific system to see how well it will perform.

I am very harsh when assessing security softs - from GUI to protection to system impact to complexity.

I give Bitdefender Internet Security 2016 an 87.5 = B+. 2015 I rated a D...

I think in Auto Pilot mode with maximum settings it will be more than sufficient for typical, daily use.

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
Just a general observation about Bitdefender:

• It is geared towards someone that wants little to no interaction with their security soft; even in Paranoid Mode alerts are few.
  • The GUI takes some practice.
  • There are settings dependencies; change one setting and it will change another setting - not a bug, just not explained in manual.
  • There are minor bugs - some bugs aren't bugs - but correct behavior based upon settings.
  • Protection wise it seems good against malwares from testing, but malicious scripts are still a problem (although, it appears BD prevented scripts from permanently damaging system). I got these infos from Cyber Review on You Tube.
  • It is not a complete security solution in my book: it needs to be supplemented with Sandboxie and anti-executable - but I say this sort of thing about all other security suites except Comodo.
  • You need ample RAM; at maximum settings the average RAM use is 250 or so. It goes to 212 up to 300+ on my system.
  • It does impact system shutdown and reboot times... that has never changed from version to version... so I have absolutely no idea how PCMag's Rubenking comes up with his figures. Nor does PASSMARK's testing agree with what I have seen. So I think it is really a system specific performance issue... you have to try it for yourself to see how it affects your system.

It is interesting security soft...

It is one of the security softs that you really must try on your specific system to see how well it will perform.

I am very harsh when assessing security softs - from GUI to protection to system impact to complexity.

I give Bitdefender Internet Security 2016 an 87.5 = B+. 2015 I rated a D...

I think in Auto Pilot mode with maximum settings it will be more than sufficient for typical, daily use.

@hjlbx You are the man, nice detail and information i needed. Thanks a lot, and will try out Bitdefender 2016 when i have free time to do so.

Reactions: XhenEd
L

LabZero

Thread author
I'm itching to try BIS 2016. :)
Will this work in a VM since the VM won't work if it's installed in the host?
I installed BIS on the Host and VBOX not work, I don't know if other guys have the same problem but i think about a Hipervisor conflict.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Sometimes when Bitdefender disinfects system it will delete Internet Explorer home page for maximum security. If, after you reset the Internet Explorer home page via Internet Options, the issue persists (about:blank) in browser, you can try the following Bitdefender home page reset tool:

What to do when Home Page resets to about:blank in Internet Explorer

Tip: Bitdefender hasn't fully documented 2016 products... so you have to search through 2015 product Knowledge Base for some answers.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Answers to most common stuff is currently listed under Bitdefender Antivirus 2016:

Support

Tip: Search through both 2015 and 2016 product Knowledge Bases... plus read 2015 User Manual.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Unexpected behavior for someone that doesn't know how BD works...

In Auto Pilot mode, BD will block, disinfect and quarantine files without notification.

Can you imagine novice that attempts to launch file - and all of a sudden - it disappears ?

Of course there are ways to fix this within BD (enable alerts = Paranoid Mode), but I think Auto Pilot without notifications is mis-guided.

Bitdefender's official answer is that if Auto Pilot generated alerts then it really wouldn't be a silent mode.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
On i7 SSD system, reboot time:

without BIS 2016 = 11 to 15 seconds.

with BIS 2016 = 20 to 25 seconds.

So essentially 100 % increase in reboot time - from active desktop to desktop.

Active BIS 2016 user interface takes about another 30 seconds... "Bitdenfender. Awake."

H

hjlbx

Thread author
On W8/8.1 you might see in Windows Reliability Monitor many entries for:

Bitdefender Security Center (secctr.exe) AppCrash.

It is not a critical issue... I think it is NET Framework related.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
After few days, Photon Technology will reduce Bitdefender Security Service RAM usage from 250 MB down into the hundreds of MB (it will vary dependent upon your usage and number\type of other applications installed; on my system it ranges from low 100s to upper 300s MB):

NOTE: You have to perform a system Shut-Down. It takes anywhere from a few hours to a few days to see reduction in RAM.

5pihsk.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.