harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
BitDefender IS - May 2021 Report
Due to the small number of samples used in this tests, you should take results with a grain of salt. We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
__

C: Clean / P: Protected / P - NC: Protected - Not Clean / I: Infected / E: Encrypted

* Dynamic BB Bonus Test (Resident Protection Disabled)
* Partially Blocked
BSR: Before System Reboot

ASR: After System Reboot

May
2021​
Samples
Pack​
Static
Detection​
Dynamic
Detection​
Total
Detection​
System Files
Encrypted​
2nd Opinion
Scanners​
System
Final Status​
Thread
Link​
30/04/2021
3 / 3
2 / 3*
3 / 3
2 / 3 *
No*
I*
C
BSR: I*
ASR: P - NC*
04/05/2021
0 / 4
2 / 4
2 / 4
No
C: WV
I: HMP NPE
BSR: I
ASR: I
07/05/2021
0 / 3
3 / 3
3 / 3
No
C
P - NC
09/05/2021
1 / 2
0 / 1
1*/ 1*
1 / 2
1* / 1 *
No
Yes (21)*
C
C
P - NC
E*
12/05/2021
1 / 5
3 / 4
4 / 5
No
C
P
17/05/2021
1 / 3
1 / 2
1 / 1*
2 / 3
1 / 1*
No
C
C
ASR: P
C*
19/05/2021
1 / 6
2 / 5
3 / 6
No
I
20/05/2021
2 / 3
0 / 1
2 / 2*
2 / 3
2 / 2*
No
C
C
C*
24/05/2021
1 / 2
1 / 1
0 / 1*
2 / 2
0 / 1*
No
No*
C
C
C
P*
26/05/2021
2 / 3
1 / 1
1 / 2 *
3 / 3
1 / 2*
No
No*
C
N/A*
I*
29/05/2021
0 / 2
1 / 2
1 / 2
No
C: HMP NPE
I: WV

Last edited:

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Its strange , many av's don't do so good in Malware hub like Bitdefender , Sophos .... but they get exellent results in other tests ->
see : SE LABS Jan-March 2021
and many other tests.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Its strange , many av's don't do so good in Malware hub like Bitdefender , Sophos .... but they get exellent results in other tests
One answer among several is that many samples shared in the Hub has a extreme payload of work behind them that are fully known by few. With as fresh/new samples as possible, and the faster those are tested, the better and more fair the actual results will be. A hint/tips for those that don't know, is to check and compare the time stamps.

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
Last time I tested it, it was a huge disappointment. It mostly got infected and it took extremely long time to process the threats
The update was time-consuming, too

There is no perfect av, I can believe that in the 2019 version, did you try the 2021? The 2021 is quite robust, I have even seen a lot of tests where it optimizes a result superior to Kaspersky. All avs fail, all. The strange thing about Bitdefender is that despite consuming ram (350 - 400 mb), the system feels ultra light, which does not happen with antivirus like Kapersky.
Sorry but this is my opinion and it is my experience.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Bitdefender is one of those products that do not work well with modules disabled. I expect it to fail a lot of dynamic tests in the hub.
I used the default settings. By the way, the behavioral blocker of BD is really good but the signatures cannot catch up with the latest threats like other well-known AVs -> more misses
There is no perfect av, I can believe that in the 2019 version, did you try the 2021? The 2021 is quite robust, I have even seen a lot of tests where it optimizes a result superior to Kaspersky. All avs fail, all. The strange thing about Bitdefender is that despite consuming ram (350 - 400 mb), the system feels ultra light, which does not happen with antivirus like Kapersky.
Sorry but this is my opinion and it is my experience.
No. I only tested the 2019 version. I don't feel good about newer versions. I have been using Wisevector since then and don't have any plan of changing AV (no time to test)
WV is better than most AVs I have tested and it's very light. Surely, Kaspersky, BD or Avast are not lighter WV

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Even with this result, I still went very impressed with Bitdefenders engine Theta. The developers done that part very correct. It covers a huge amount of samples/variants fast.

Thanks for another great test @harlan4096 , and looking forward to the next. (y)
Is Theta active now in their products? I’ve been impressed with how it performs on VT, but it’s been a while since I’ve run BitDefender locally and back then Theta looked experimental.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Is Theta active now in their products? I’ve been impressed with how it performs on VT, but it’s been a while since I’ve run BitDefender locally and back then Theta looked experimental.
My bad. I wasn't clear enough as I meant the exact same with VT. Personal I never had my hands on BD locally, not even during this test period so can't say, and now when I asked @harlan4096 today to check if BD has some similar info like F-Secure and it's engines, he ain't even allowed to click on settings. The trial license has ended, but maybe some other BD user can help and confirm? I didn't do any deep dive search so all I could find was this:

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
No Java no problems?
I'd be worried about people bringing their own Java, just like how we've seen malware ship a copy of Chrome V8 or some other Javascript interpreter and then run their own Javascript. Of course if you've got a hardened host that won't allow new executables you might be a bit stronger against such an attack.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I'd be worried about people bringing their own Java, just like how we've seen malware ship a copy of Chrome V8 or some other Javascript interpreter and then run their own Javascript. Of course if you've got a hardened host that won't allow new executables you might be a bit stronger against such an attack.
I guess in this case your downloading and browsing habits have a strong influence on the risk of this infection vector. But isn't that really most things these days?

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
I guess in this case your downloading and browsing habits have a strong influence on the risk of this infection vector. But isn't that really most things these days?
Oh absolutely. I worry more about this attack vector for corporate environments where employees might not care or think twice about a phishing email coming from IT with instructions on installing something.
Either way, every security software tends to have an area of weakness and Java RATs I don’t think are common for home users. I wouldn’t worry much about it personally.

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Here in Spain the use of personal digital certificates is increasingly common to manage on public administration pages, and those pages that operate with digital certificates need to have Java installed, so We have to think that not only corporate environments are in danger about Java RATs attacks...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.