App Review Bitdefender Premium Security 2020

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Product name
Bitdefender Premium Security 24
Installation (rating)
5.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
Interface is clean and user friendly also easy to reach to the settings.
Performance (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
I'm a very paranoid and protective user. but it's a proven product however i've done my own testing with some brand new malwares and it's Advanced Threat Defense detected them all. so i guess it's effective.
Browser protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Many features
    • Lightning fast scans
    • Easy to use
    • Ransomware protection
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Consistently high test scores
    • Accurate results and reliable antivirus engine
    • Effective malicious URL blocking
    • Virus signatures are updated daily
    • Excellent scores in independent tests
    • Effective malware removal
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Advanced users may want more control
    • Short on configuration options
Time spent using product
Reviewed over a 30-day period
Computer specs
i7 8700
2080 Ti
16Gb 3/200
500Gb ssd + 1TB
Recommended for
  1. All types of users
Overall rating
5.00 star(s)

Like a Western!

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
Well, it's Bitdefender. everyone interested in this industry know that it is indeed one of the leaders and one of the best cybersecurity solutions out there.

the thing that i'd like to point to here more than anything is it's Customer Services. in terms of protection there is not much to say you probably already know it's reliable.
the Customer Service tho, is something that is very important but, but we see it rarely discussed here on MT, which i can't see why. the Protection fails. not always but one day every protection fails no matter if it's Bitdefender' Advanced Threat Defense or Kaspersky' System Watcher or the legendary Mamuto DeepGuard or SONAR. they all will fail at some point. the thing left for you is the Customer Service, the Support that your AV is offering to you in hard situations, even the geeks like to have that left after their protection fails.

i've chosen Bitdefender Premium Security cause it was offering something interesting to me, and that's "Priority Support", i've tested it, they were there whenever i've email any kind of question/issue to them, in maximum 1 hour sometimes in 10 minutes. that is what i like to have when my protection fails, i'd like to have someone to talk to and explain the situation to soon enough.

hope it was helpful for those who thinking about this service from Bitdefender. it most probably worth it.

XLR8R

Level 4
Jan 20, 2020
Like a Western! said:
i've chosen Bitdefender Premium Security cause it was offering something interesting to me, and that's "Priority Support", i've tested it, they were there whenever i've email any kind of question/issue to them, in maximum 1 hour sometimes in 10 minutes. that is what i like to have when my protection fails, i'd like to have someone to talk to and explain the situation to soon enough.

That was BitDefender 10 years ago. Now their region-specific license thing has driven me crazy. They actually ask me to claim support from the country distributor as BitDefender won't support region-specific licenses through their global support.

In all my years using any AV product, I have never had such kind of funny support scheme from anyone. BitDefender lost a lot of trust right there for me.

XLR8R

Level 4
Jan 20, 2020
i don't know about region-specific licesnses but the name is on it, IF you buy a "region-specific" license then you know what you're buying, just get an ordinary license..
Here's the thing.

You buy BitDefender from your local store/shop/local country Amazon or ebay.

You don't know whether that's a global license or a regional one.

You buy 2/3 years license. Then one day you have an issue, the developer asks you to call the reseller.

Tell me how this affects the consumer who sells the product? If BitDefender sells it directly in retail or e-store then why are these distinctions not made in stores?

It is unacceptable no matter how you put it.

You are the developer of a product, you support it to one who pays. That's it.

MegenM

Level 3
Well-known
Jun 8, 2020
Here's the thing.

You buy BitDefender from your local store/shop/local country Amazon or ebay.

You don't know whether that's a global license or a regional one.

You buy 2/3 years license. Then one day you have an issue, the developer asks you to call the reseller.

Tell me how this affects the consumer who sells the product? If BitDefender sells it directly in retail or e-store then why are these distinctions not made in stores?

It is unacceptable no matter how you put it.

You are the developer of a product, you support it to one who pays. That's it.
That's strange. I am using Bitdefender for a long time now and regularly buy from third-party resellers. I have never faced this issue with their support. Be it regional or not, the primary global support should help you as it's ultimately their product. The only thing they cannot help you with logically is transaction support like refunds or subscription modifications as that part belongs to the reseller.

I was trying to search for this support policy but was not able to get any data on the global website.

simbatippe1234

Level 3
Oct 14, 2021
Bitdefender/Kaspersky are very much alike both protection/support wise, they are the best of the best in 2021, and I predict in many years to come, I have had Bitdefender Total Security for at least 5 years, would never consider to switch, never have I had any problems of any kind not with support(who are extremely friendly & competent)or in any other way, it is like @Like a Western! says(if you wish), install & forget, Bitdefender will take care of the rest with a recomendation here and there, I can not stress enough to try this AV-Suite, it is very cheap also.
Kind Regards isaccasi.;)

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Many spit on Bitdefender for its bugs or RAM consumption, but I wanted to point out that it is the MOST REACTIVE lab (along with Avira) when I submit an unknown malware!

Yesterday I found a Trojan stealing a discord account (in FUD), I sent it to all the antivirus editors.
Bitdefender was the first to identify it, here is the VT capture

G2zbix4t.png

ESET still hasn't answered me for example... (it makes me think of @Anthony Qian post, strangely enough)

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Many spit on Bitdefender for its bugs or RAM consumption, but I wanted to point out that it is the MOST REACTIVE lab (along with Avira) when I submit an unknown malware!

Yesterday I found a Trojan stealing a discord account (in FUD), I sent it to all the antivirus editors.

G2zbix4t.png

ESET still hasn't answered me for example... (it makes me think of @Anthony Qian post, strangely enough)

Maybe you are right, but on the negative side Bitdefender lab has the reputation of adding anything to its database without much further analysis; personally I prefer Kaspersky and ESET approach on this.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Maybe you are right, but on the negative side Bitdefender lab has the reputation of adding anything to its database without much further analysis; personally I prefer Kaspersky and ESET approach on this.
Personally I prefer a FP that I can easily bypass if I'm 100% sure the file is safe, than an Infected system. FPs are not an issue if you know that file is safe a few clicks and add to exception and you on your way without much hassle.

Compared to the process of getting infected and then cleaning you whole OS. I rather have an FP any-day compared to an infected OS.

Despite some peoples opinion BD does not have a high FP rate compared to other AVs its usually well below the industry average in all the recent tests I have seen.
Kaspersky seems to be slipping on its detection rate recently.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Personally I prefer a FP that I can easily bypass if I'm 100% sure the file is safe, than an Infected system. FPs are not an issue if you know that file is safe a few clicks and add to exception and you on your way without much hassle.

Compared to the process of getting infected and then cleaning you whole OS. I rather have an FP any-day compared to an infected OS.

Despite some peoples opinion BD does not have a high FP rate compared to other AVs its usually well below the industry average in all the recent tests I have seen.
Kaspersky seems to be slipping on its detection rate recently.

Thats a question of preference, I have not been infected for years and I have many ways to avoid a infection, but a false positive can destroy my system and my productivity.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021

G2zbix4t.png

You should expect no reaction or very slow reaction from ESET's Malware Research Team after you submit malware sample to them, unless your email address has been added to their VIP list. :)

Bitdefender's virus analysis team responds to every submission it receives. (y)

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
You should expect no reaction or very slow reaction from ESET's Malware Research Team after you submit malware sample to them, unless your email address has been added to their VIP list. :)

Bitdefender's virus analysis team responds to every submission it receives. (y)

ESET answered me 2 hours ago (finally) but no update of the virus database yet...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.