Bitdefender Safepay : Final Version Launched

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeff

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 18, 2011
EXCITING NEWS! We've just launched a new FREE & cool Desktop application: Bitdefender Safepay. It features a secure hacker-proof browser that engages to keep your online and banking transactions private.

2sale1d.png

Bank and shop online with complete confidence! FREE DOWNLOAD HERE

Reactions: TrojanSmart

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks for the update, can be beneficial for some.

I would like to see this tested against keyloggers, does anyone have these resources for testing? :D I assume it is Chromium-based?

ZenMate for Chrome, also uses secure tunnelling + VPN-like connection in a single browser plugin package, only current issues is the slow browsing speed, at least it's free.

xpressive

Level 1
Verified
Jul 28, 2013
@Earth

I already test the program with keylogger (Ardamax and KGB(Refog))

Those keylogger fail in duty.
Are those able to use tor? http://www.torproject.org/

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I tried Bitdefender Safepay and I was quite disappointed.

It is just an edited version of Chrome with no extensions, no password manager or adblocker.
It doesn't provide phishing protection against fake websites. You can add extensions to Google Chrome have have better secure online banking and shopping protection.

Many freeware products or extensions will give you hotspot protection and similar features.

Another fail for BitDefender in my book.

Thanks. :D

xpressive

Level 1
Verified
Jul 28, 2013
@Littlebits
you're right, better use Comodo Dragon rather than this program.

It's just keylogger stopper.

camarie

Aug 3, 2013
Littlebits said:
I tried Bitdefender Safepay and I was quite disappointed.

It is just an edited version of Chrome with no extensions, no password manager or adblocker.
Extensions disabling is for security (is one of the main attack vector against browsers). Password manager and adblocker are not really part of securing online banking (password manager is really a convenience tool, while adblocker is a browser supplement; my bank generates a different password for each logon - and expires it in few minutes, and does not pop advertising neither).
I think you judge safepay as if it would be a day-to-day browser, which is not. Just two features I don't think you will find in Chrome - startup scan of processes and system files, and VPN protection.

Littlebits said:
It doesn't provide phishing protection against fake websites.
Yes it does. Every URL is scanned in our cloud database for malware, phising, fraud, spam, untrusted etc. And Safepay blocks the page if this occurs. Can you elaborate on this?

Littlebits said:
You can add extensions to Google Chrome have have better secure online banking and shopping protection.
Such as?
I doubt a Chrome extension, which is nothing more than a bunch of Javascript/HTML/manifest files packed in a CRX zip file, will protect your computer. Do they have self protect on binaries, or protect themselves against another extension?

Littlebits said:
Many freeware products or extensions will give you hotspot protection and similar features.

Another fail for BitDefender in my book.

Thanks for taking the time evaluating Safepay.

Cristian

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Anybody know how to completely remove Bitdefender Safepay from
one PC? Under the hood within the regedit. There are folders of Bitdefender Safepay. I have tried to delete these folders and the PC said, that it is being use by another program? Any suggestions on how to remove? Is there unnstall tool for Bitdefender Safepay?

Thanks!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Not sure if they have a dedicated tool for SafePay uninstallation. Have you tried uninstalling the program from the Control Panel? Have you tried to restart the computer, then uninstall? Make sure the services aren't running on boot/start-up.

For a fast response, you can try their Chat Support.
http://www.bitdefender.com/support/chat-support.html

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Password manager and adblocker are not really part of securing online banking (password manager is really a convenience tool, while adblocker is a browser supplement; my bank generates a different password for each logon - and expires it in few minutes, and does not pop advertising neither).

Not all banking sites are the same, I have a set password for my online bank that I have to change every 3 months. Password manager like LastPass can encrypt your data and keep you from logging on to a fake banking site. I believe it is a must have for online banking. It is true not most banking sites will have ads but wonder if you happen to stumble upon a fake banking site with phishing ads? I would like to have an adblocker just in case.

Just two features I don't think you will find in Chrome - startup scan of processes and system files, and VPN protection.

Doesn't your real-time AV already scan your processes and system files?

VPN protection is offered in many freeware products like Steganos OkayFreedom, Hotspot Shield, Spotflux, SafeIP, Tor Browser Bundle, SecurityKISS and Expat Shield. But BitDefender wants to change you for the same services.

Yes it does. Every URL is scanned in our cloud database for malware, phising, fraud, spam, untrusted etc. And Safepay blocks the page if this occurs. Can you elaborate on this?

Are you trying to say that Safepay will detect every single zero-day malicious site? I don't think so. Malicious sites are created so fast that no solution will detect them all no matter how good the detection rate appears to be according to testing sites.

Such as?
I doubt a Chrome extension, which is nothing more than a bunch of Javascript/HTML/manifest files packed in a CRX zip file, will protect your computer. Do they have self protect on binaries, or protect themselves against another extension?

Most Chrome extension run sanboxed, so if one crashes or has compatibility issues it does not effect the other extensions. Google has disabled the ability to add extensions from third-party sources, only extension from Google Web Store are allowed and they are all reviewed by Google before they are allowed to be listed in the store. Of coarse in the past some have got by Google but now Google has cracked down on most of them. Still if anyone has doubts, they can run Google Chrome in Sandboxie or BufferZone Pro which will protect their computer. Also can add Trusteer Rapport banking protection which is free which will protect all browsers and allow users to keep their settings and extensions.

camarie

Aug 3, 2013
Littlebits said:
Password manager and adblocker are not really part of securing online banking (password manager is really a convenience tool, while adblocker is a browser supplement; my bank generates a different password for each logon - and expires it in few minutes, and does not pop advertising neither).

Not all banking sites are the same, I have a set password for my online bank that I have to change every 3 months. Password manager like LastPass can encrypt your data and keep you from logging on to a fake banking site. I believe it is a must have for online banking. It is true not most banking sites will have ads but wonder if you happen to stumble upon a fake banking site with phishing ads? I would like to have an adblocker just in case.
It is true that some banks allows a fixed password (for some time, or for good), and others generates one every logon. Data encryption in LastPass (or name your password manager) is done when save/load data - we're doing the same in BD Wallet - not when populating browser page fields. (Don't ignore that LastPass phising is available in Pro version AFAIK). This is a longer discussion, anyways - LastPass is a dedicated product for password management, Safepay is a secure browser. But point taken.

Littlebits said:
Just two features I don't think you will find in Chrome - startup scan of processes and system files, and VPN protection.

Doesn't your real-time AV already scan your processes and system files?

VPN protection is offered in many freeware products like Steganos OkayFreedom, Hotspot Shield, Spotflux, SafeIP, Tor Browser Bundle, SecurityKISS and Expat Shield. But BitDefender wants to change you for the same services.
For sure BD didn't invented VPN, and the user with sufficient technical knowledge can configure and use whatever he likes. Safepay integrates all these in a single mechanism. About charging, it's not so simple. Some of the providers listed above are free up to a traffic quota, others have investors - again, is a longer discussion. Everyone have to generate revenue one way or another.

Littlebits said:

Are you trying to say that Safepay will detect every single zero-day malicious site? I don't think so. Malicious sites are created so fast that no solution will detect them all no matter how good the detection rate appears to be according to testing sites.
Every single 0-day? No. I don't thing somebody does. What I can say is that AS/APH teams here are working around the clock 24/7 and continuously hunt for these kinds of attacks.

Littlebits said:
Such as?

Most Chrome extension run sanboxed, so if one crashes or has compatibility issues it does not effect the other extensions. Google has disabled the ability to add extensions from third-party sources, only extension from Google Web Store are allowed and they are all reviewed by Google before they are allowed to be listed in the store. Of coarse in the past some have got by Google but now Google has cracked down on most of them. Still if anyone has doubts, they can run Google Chrome in Sandboxie or BufferZone Pro which will protect their computer. Also can add Trusteer Rapport banking protection which is free which will protect all browsers and allow users to keep their settings and extensions.
Extensions can still be added to Chrome via registry and extension list manipulation (but that's not the point here).
Again, I'm sure there are alternate ways to life a more secured life :) - about Trusteer Rapport I heard is very obtrusive (Sandboxie and BufferZone I don't know). Protect all browsers is not Safepay purpose - when you begin tamper other browsers, user data, HTTP traffic, you're opening new possibilities to problems.
Safepay takes a different route: 1. minimize attack surface (disable extensions, hooks, keyboard); 2. remain as light as possible (60 seconds scanner at startup - optional) and scan in cloud URLs 3. does NOT interfere with user's other browsers and data. It's more a virtual environment for use when you need, not a general purpose browser or a protection tool for all user traffic.
These differences noted, you may like or not Safepay, that's entirely up to you :) - and judging from the first comment, you do not - which is absolutely fine. I'm just pointing out on differences, and hope to bring some more details about what Safepay is - and what is not.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
@ camarie,

It is appreciated that you took your time to explain about Safepay.
I just don't think the product is going to do very well for most users, because they like to use what they already have for online banking.
I have been doing online banking for 11 years my way and I have never had any problems. Maybe it could be beneficial for some members that might of had bad experiences with online banking. I have been keeping up with software for many years working with different download sites, it looks to me that Safepay will eventually end up in BitDefender's discontinued products vault.

Reactions: tapoo

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
BitDefender Support team did not help! Just wanted to play E-mail tag. Back and forward! It is because they
do have a uninstall for their Beta Version & Final Version of Bitdefender Safepay. This is the 2nd time support had
play this game. I am total finish with any BitDefender software product, period! At this point, I would not care if
their software score a 1000%. Their support = Junk in my book. Their BitDefender Free Edition has uninstall problems also, and require a special tool to uninstall completely!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.