Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Informative - BitDefender Security Scan presents information about your machine in a way that makes it easier for you to take appropriate action.

Convenient - BitDefender Security Scan is built to supplement your current security setup – there will be no unwanted interactions between it and any security software you may have installed.

Fast - Simply download and run a security scan – you'll have the information you need in minutes!

Features of QuickScan include:

AV QuickScan - scans your PC for running viruses, spyware and other online threats – usually in less than a minute!

Registry Tuning - scans your PC for invalid registry entries that can cause slow downs, freezes or crashes.

Update watcher - checks for Windows updates which have not been applied yet.

Security status - checks for the existence and status of security software on your system.

Scheduled Scanning - sets up recurring scans to ensure your system is safe. QuickScan will automatically scan your PC on startup.

Antivirus Spot Check - on demand, instantly scans a suspicious file (such as something you've just downloaded) for viruses.

Link

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Description from Task Manager:
BitDefender PC TroubleSweeper

BitDefender Security Scan:
[attachment=199]
Scan Options:
[attachment=201]
About:
Code:
Version 1.0

Fix All (launches default web browser and shows results and offers for 3 months protection):
[attachment=200]

Similar to the web browser version BitDefender QuickScan, but Security Scan requires installation and scans on start-up. It also minimises to system tray after a period of time and runs no service processes.

Attachments

• bt_ss_gui.png
    bt_ss_gui.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 686
  • bt_ss_scan.png
    bt_ss_scan.png
    154.3 KB · Views: 709
  • bt_ss_opts.png
    bt_ss_opts.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 705

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You are right, they are pointless. They scan your system to find any problems, then recommend you to buy their product.
Just like McAfee and Norton Security Scan.

Rogue-y-ness-like software :p

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Agree, Bitdefender Security scan is similar like Mcafee and Norton which is not allowed to remove those detected threats.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Yep second storm, Just another cheap way of making money... :dodgy:

I hope they don't try to sell their product through TrafficLight add-on.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
stormgtr said:
You are right, they are pointless. They scan your system to find any problems, then recommend you to buy their product.
Just like McAfee and Norton Security Scan.

Rogue-y-ness-like software :p

I hate to see BitDefender join this what I call "bait and hook method" to increase sales. To myself this is rogueware since most of these free scans list many false positives to make users think they need to buy it to remove non-existence infections. I have compared scans results in the past from many of these free scanners (McAfee, Norton, BitDefender, etc.) to the results from their free online scanners which will remove infections for free.

The results are different. What is different? the free scanners have false positives that are not present in the online scanners. Sounds very fishy to me.

Free BitDefender online scanner that removes infections for free.

Thanks.:D

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
They make some free tools and software but having Security Scan is like no other reason beside in nagging advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.