Product name
Bitdefender Total Security
Pros
  • Signatures.

Web blocking signature.

On access scanning.

Active Threat Control.

Intrusion Detection System.

Automatically handle the threats with no questions.

Easy to use and understand.

Less complicate settings.

No slow down on my part.

No bugs at all according to my end.
CONS
Moderate/high RAM usage.

User interface.

Literary no Bitdefender staffs on their forum.
BOTTOM LINE
At the end of the day, Bitdefender will protect you from internet threats that try to get into your system with its superior modules and signature. In addition with Autopilot, Bitdefender will never bothering you because Autopilot mode design to automatically handle the threats by itself according to Bitdefender, and it does help out a lot of average users who don't know if this application is safe or not. Also, the down sides of Bitdefender is moderate/high RAM usage, no customer support staff on their forum, and their user interface is somewhat okay, but i prefer Kaspersky 2016 user interface over Bitdefender 2016 user interface.

Should i recommend my family or members? Maybe, because this RAM usage can impact some system performance.

Is it worth the money? Ofcourse, if Bitdefender runs fine on your system with no bug nor performance impact then why not?

My rate is 4/5..

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
At the end of the day, Bitdefender will protect you from internet threats that try to get into your system with its superior modules and signature. In addition with Autopilot, Bitdefender will never bothering you because Autopilot mode design to automatically handle the threats by itself according to Bitdefender, and it does help out a lot of average users who don't know no if this file is safe or not. Also, the down sides of Bitdefender is moderate/high RAM usage, no customer support staff on their forum, and their user interface is somewhat okay, but i prefer Kaspersky 2016 user interface over Bitdefender 2016 user interface.

Should i recommend my family or members? Maybe, because this RAM usage can impact some system performance.

Is it worth the money? Ofcourse, if Bitdefender runs fine on your system with no bug nor performance impact then why not?

My rate is 4/5. I deduct 1 point for the cons.

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
It's not bad, better handle signatures in memory;)
Know the Difference Between Good and Bad High RAM Usage

The only Bitdefender process that consume a lot of RAM is Bitdefender Security Service.
Yes, RAM consumption is often quite high, but the UI isn't bad in my opinion.

Ehhhh.......Bitdefender can do a lot better than that. Kaspersky 2016 heck have better UI than Bitdefender, even Emsisoft UI is not even that half bad than Bitdefender. So i think Bitdefender just too lazy to make better UI, so they just create a square box and put something in just to call it a day.

Reactions: DardiM

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
thats the problem here, bitdefender photon adapts your pc with usage, so thats means that over the days the program will adapt to your pc... and that is true, the problem with these types of test is that they dont last enough to measure if bitdefender is really able to do what it claims.

Captura de pantalla (1).png
Here is a screenshot of bitdefender in a normal day usage after one or two weeks of install, as you can see despite the high ram usage at first instance, it then reduces to more or less 104-200 mb, just to compare eset service eats 104 mb of ram... so, for me is not high

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
i think Bitdefender just too lazy to make better UI
would you mind if you share with us, your thoughts about a "better UI" since for me is just okay simple and nice at least i dont get lost with settings like with kaspersky, in first instace it looks nice, but then as always you get lost... bitedefender, emsisoft etc focus on simplicity and i think that they are doing a nice job at it...

Reactions: Davidov and DardiM

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
thats the problem here, bitdefender photon adapts your pc with usage, so thats means that over the days the program will adapt to your pc... and that is true, the problem with these types of test is that they dont last enough to measure if bitdefender is really able to do what it claims.

View attachment 77126
Here is a screenshot of bitdefender in a normal day usage after one or two weeks of install, as you can see despite the high ram usage at first instance, it then reduces to more or less 104-200 mb, just to compare eset service eats 104 mb of ram... so, for me is not high

Mine still at 200MB RAM usage with max settings, and i believe Bitdefender Photon will kick in later in this week or next week.

would you mind if you share with us, your thoughts about a "better UI" since for me is just okay simple and nice at least i dont get lost with settings like with kaspersky, in first instace it looks nice, but then as always you get lost... bitedefender, emsisoft etc focus on simplicity and i think that they are doing a nice job at it...

Well, i'm not good at photoshop, but i can describe basic main user interface for Bitdefender, and it does sounds silly, but why not give it a try? 4 medium size square boxes. 1st box = Check for Updates, 2nd box = Privacy&Optimization, 3rd box = Quick Scan&Vulnerable Scan, and 4th box = Quarantine. Simple and easy to access. And Bitdefender Central Account box, they just put that on top of the little click dude where you can access main general settings, or make a little person next to minimize bar, and that would be your Bitdefender Central Account access area.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
As for the GUI of Bitdefender, I like the main panel.
However, I don't like the GUI of its panels for the different functions. They just are not arranged, to me. :D

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Mine still at 200MB RAM usage with max settings, and i believe Bitdefender Photon will kick in later in this week or next week.

I have the same situation like yours when I was using BAV previously. Initial usage is about 350MB and after 2-3 weeks, it drops to 185MB -190MB approximately.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
I had my intense hate towards Bitdefender because last two times when I installed it made my Internet Surfing horrible. And also I am not fan of Bitdefender UI. Too simple for me. I want notifications when something gets blocked but this stupid Auto-pilot mode always keep dominating.

But after reading your review I now want to try it again. May be they have improved now.

Reactions: SloppyMcFloppy

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
I had my intense hate towards Bitdefender because last two times when I installed it made my Internet Surfing horrible. And also I am not fan of Bitdefender UI. Too simple for me. I want notifications when something gets blocked but this stupid Auto-pilot mode always keep dominating.

But after reading your review I now want to try it again. May be they have improved now.

No internet surfing impact after i installed Bitdefender Total Security 2016 on my part.

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
Mine still at 200MB RAM usage
mine is also with custom settings, in general it will depend upon which settings you have changed and what you are doing, in a daily basis the screenshot shown below is the general ram consume

4 medium size square boxes.
maybe like bitdefender 2014?

Auto-pilot mode
as said before they focus on simplicity and automated systems, that doesnt bother the user, so then, they are good doing so :D

No internet surfing impact
Can confirm that too, while i am using 2015 vers. i havent notice a major downgrade in internet speed (of course there is, but no like others versions)

i think that bitdefender just recently upgraded their engine or something because after an update i notice that everything when down and smooth :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.