Battle Bitdefender Total Security 2018 x Kaspersky Total Security 17

legendcampos

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
Which of these 2 have best performs for old machines? I had tested Bitdefender Total Security 2017 but I noticed a lot of consumption around 600mb all set using the processexplorer program, I heard about Bitdefender having improved its performance with the 2018 version, I'm currently with kaspersky Total security would be worth abandoning? And adventure with Bitdefender?

Ps: Kaspersky (default config with private browsing disabled) has left a little slow navigation. Maybe it is the adblock default of the Opera Navigator, the Ublock origin does not work well for me, some pages fail..

Reactions: bribon77 and MWNu72

dmzbg79

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 28, 2014
Both programs are very good indeed...Kaspersky and Bitdefender have very good proactive detection...But to be fair in terms of definitions,Kaspersky is ahead of Bitdefender...Also Kaspersky does not have heavy impact on system startup...And Bitdefender is slow when windows starts...That makes me decide and to give my vote to Kaspersky...Even though ,both programs can do their job well...From my point of view there is not an antivirus that works perfectly...Greetings!!!

legendcampos

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
Aa8gA5o.jpg

Consumption still remains a bit high in version 2018, however the system does not get too slow and also did not resolve the problem of the clock-side startup program that delays to start. Kaspersky has less consumption, but leaves the browsing of the websites somewhat slow.

legendcampos

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
I personally use Emsisoft(no advertism or manipulation from my side),
but the reason for me showing You this,
is that EmsiSoft has licenced their AV-signatures from BitDefender.
As You may see, I am up at 420 MB because of it.
That is generally not the main issues, as long as You have at least 2048-4096MB RAM.
The issues comes mostly in how different antimalware engines are compiled, optimized and debugged.
Kaspersky are Orthodox Russians who know their AT&T Assembly Synthax optimiziation routines to their fingertips,
in their sleep, forwards and backwards, I believe D _ Bugging is no mare for them.
I wish the same for BitDefender and all other antimalware Developers as well.View attachment 160656

Bitdefender has always had this problem of consumption, maybe it is the autopilot, there is a way to improve, just good will. There are softwares with enough resources and low consumption is the case of Eset, Avast, Panda...

Reactions: MWNu72

kamla5abi

Level 4
Verified
May 15, 2017
when you look at RAM usage, are you looking at "working set" only right? And how much RAM do you have in that computer?
i have 1 computer few years old
i7 4500U
mx300 SSD (upgraded myself)
12GB RAM (upgraded myself)
On this computer Bitdefender Total Security 2017 runs like this
BDTS.2017.RAM.Usage.png
as you can see, most usage according to task manager for vsserv.exe was abt 550MB at peak
currently vsserv.exe is sitting at 373MB, the others are all quite low ram usage (and it just did an update right before i took screenshot)
task manager says BIOS time 2.9 seconds (ive seen 2.5-3.0 seconds)
and i have ransomware protection on and also startup protection in that module enabled

legendcampos

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
when you look at RAM usage, are you looking at "working set" only right? And how much RAM do you have in that computer?
i have 1 computer few years old
i7 4500U
mx300 SSD (upgraded myself)
12GB RAM (upgraded myself)
On this computer Bitdefender Total Security 2017 runs like this
View attachment 160657
as you can see, most usage according to task manager for vsserv.exe was abt 550MB at peak
currently vsserv.exe is sitting at 373MB, the others are all quite low ram usage (and it just did an update right before i took screenshot)
task manager says BIOS time 2.9 seconds (ive seen 2.5-3.0 seconds)
and i have ransomware protection on and also startup protection in that module enabled

Version 2018 is already enabled for native protection against ransomware besides the protection of folders, files...

kamla5abi

Level 4
Verified
May 15, 2017
remember that RAM is meant to be used by programs and is blazing fast compared to SSD or older harddrives (HDD)
as long as you have enough free RAM that you are not using the page file on your SSD/HDD, then a program consuming RAM won't really make much difference user experience (assuming it isn't a memory leak or using up many GB's of RAM - but even if it is using many GB of ram, as long as it doesn't force other programs to use page file more and more it shouldn't really matter. Load up adobe photoshop or lightroom and some large picture files and you will see photoshop/lightroom using multiple GB of ram...but if you have many GB still free, it is ok)

if your older computer still has older HDD (not ssd) then an upgrade to any SSD would make the difference of night & day
//edit

i just looked at other programs using that peak working set tab, and noticed ZAM (technically its ZAL i have installed but it shows ZAM in task manager)
ZAM has used almost 500MB peak in the past too
currently both ZAM process are using 405MB together in working set
and usually people say ZAM is light in usage, but i think they refer to user experience, because clearly ZAM can also use up many hundreds of MB of ram ;)

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

if your older computer still has older HDD (not ssd) then an upgrade to any SSD would make the difference of night & day

This.. Upgrading to SSD is the single most important thing anyone can do. I put an SSD in my mother in-laws 9 year old laptop and it was really quite speedy, certainly far far faster than it was when new.. It blew her mind and well, it was a $50 upgrade so.. Everything gets quick with a nice SSD.

kamla5abi

Level 4
Verified
May 15, 2017
A Mature PageFile has never hurt any of my HDD's or SDD's performance as I am aware of yet.
Call me kraaaahz if anyone wishes to do so, welcome.
what do you mean "mature pagefile" ?
and i am not saying using the pagefile or having a large pagefile will hurt the HDD or SSD performance at all.
I am saying RAM is many times faster than a HDD (even SSD) and it is best to make use of your RAM, so a program using a few hundred MB of RAM does not mean it is slowing down your computer or user experience, UNLESS you are running out of RAM....
If you are running out of RAM, then the OS has no choice but to move things out of RAM onto HDD/SSD. Then back to RAM. Then back to HDD/SSD. etc. Which ultimately WILL slow down your computer and user experience.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
YUWbZzy.jpg
}

Kaspersky Internet Security with tweaked protection to achieve maximum protection. Though File Antivirus is set to normal instead of High (for dangerous enviroment). If i set it to maximum, RAM would remain the same and CPU consuming will vary from 0% to 2.5% each 10 seconds.

kamla5abi

Level 4
Verified
May 15, 2017
}

Kaspersky Internet Security with tweaked protection to achieve maximum protection. Though File Antivirus is set to normal instead of High (for dangerous enviroment). If i set it to maximum, RAM would remain the same and CPU consuming will vary from 0% to 2.5% each 10 seconds.

I am using Bitdefender Total Security 2018 and this is what I can show you:
View attachment 160747

I think this is not bad for Bitdefender Total Security 2018, right?
Both of you are showing only task manager "Processes" window
that doesn't show the true picture of RAM usage
that only shows the amount of RAM which is Private Memory

See my instruction below to see in task manager
See.Actual.RAM.Usage.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.