App Review Bitdefender Traffic Light Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Which Security Extension do you use?

• Total voters
M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Hi all,

Bitdefender Traffic Light, a free, easy to install Chrome Extension to help protect you from malicious + phishing URLs. But seriously, how good is it?

Thanks for watching, hopefully you've enjoyed & more videos coming soon!

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Why didn't you do the compare test with same links (Avira Browser Safety, Avast Online Security & Bitdefender Traffic Light)???
Maybe that's coming ;) Several people have just wanted to see a test of Bitdefender Traffic Light. It's obvious from other tests that Avira Browser Safety has a better detection rate, but I may do a comparison test at some point.

Thanks for watching!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why didn't you do the compare test with same links (Avira Browser Safety, Avast Online Security & Bitdefender Traffic Light)???
From experience, it's easier to throw links rather than following methodology(?) to get fair results across a range of products. Also they would need to tested within a few hours of each other.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
I voted Other
Common sense works for me.
No offence but this is kind of a poor argument since "common sense" doesn't really help protect you at all. Nobody gets infected whilst they are aware they are getting infected - unless they are testing. You could visit a site with malicious script in the adverts on that site & then get infected - your common sense wouldn't save you then.

Also Phishing URLs can be hard to even spot, if you visit a URL & see that it's for example a PayPal login then unless you are looking at the URL itself, your AV detects the Phishing URL or you notice that the site isn't https:// then you will probably think it's a legit site.

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
No offence but this is kind of a poor argument since "common sense" doesn't really help protect you at all. Nobody gets infected whilst they are aware they are getting infected - unless they are testing. You could visit a site with malicious script in the adverts on that site & then get infected - your common sense wouldn't save you then.

Also Phishing URLs can be hard to even spot, if you visit a URL & see that it's for example a PayPal login then unless you are looking at the URL itself, your AV detects the Phishing URL or you notice that the site isn't https:// then you will probably think it's a legit site.
Ok fair point, but i tried Bitdefender traffic light last year and never had any notifications for it and the icon remained green even on websites that have a bad rep like download.com.
I installed ublock origin and i find that works better for me.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
I have a problem with Avira and uBlock origin, any idea?

Clipboard01.jpg

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I have a problem with Avira and uBlock origin, any idea?

View attachment 137802
it's fine don't worry. They both were trying to block the same link so there was this message. In fact, this kind of message doesn't affect anything. I have got several like that but have never had any problem

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I use Avast Online Security only because I have the antivirus.
in avast 2017, they move phishing protection into web shield
Major differences: Avast Online Security and Avast Web Shield

it means you can only gain minimal level of protection if you have web shield + avast online security plugin (adds only tracking blocker and reputation rating)

It's better to use avast web shield + avira browser safety because they will improve your security more (adds more blocking ability, also tracking protection and rating)

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I voted Other
Common sense works for me.
That would also require infallibility, which none of us have as a trait.

For example, today I wanted to update my NIC driver, so I started to type "r-e-a-l-" and my browser filled the rest in (realtek dot two-letter-top-level-domain-for-Taiwan) and I hit enter. Bitdefender Free (NOT Traficlight) blocked a trojan and Chrome had an obvious phishing prompt (I really wish browsers did not have modal dialog boxes). The real URL is realtek.com.tw.

Additionally, some of us look for products to recommend to or implement for others, who are likely not as savvy, if at all.

A client googled "iTunes login" and clicked on the link that said it was official. It wasn't official. Neither uBlock Origin, SmartScreen, Google or Chrome blocked this obvious (to me and to you) site.

After this event is when I tested all these browser extensions and WoT is the only one that flagged this and other fake sites. I am surprised how many go unchecked.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Way back before, I feel that Bitdefender Trafficlight is something passive on the protection addon which perhaps different from Bitdefender's actual web filtering of Pro/IS.

I don't want to think that it may lead on marketing strategy, to urge customers on purchasing the actual product. ;)

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Way back before, I feel that Bitdefender Trafficlight is something passive on the protection addon which perhaps different from Bitdefender's actual web filtering of Pro/IS.

I don't want to think that it may lead on marketing strategy, to urge customers on purchasing the actual product. ;)
It is pretty much a marketing tool for them, and frankly it isn't a very good one in my opinion. I've noticed it sometimes takes a good few seconds for pages to get blocked with Traffic Light. It also doesn't stop malicious drive-by downloads, so those few seconds that the page is allowed to load gives it a chance for the download to take place.
Avira Browser Safety is a much superior product in my opinion, which blocks pages instantly and stops drive-by downloads. (Still a marketing tool but less so being that it's given as the only form of web protection to their free product users.)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.