Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Prospective testers will undoubtedly be struck by the utter lack of new browser toolbars, following installation. It's alright, it's all part of the new approach, says project manager Alexandru Balan: "the team went all- out and moved everything to the protocol level. TrafficLight is browser- agnostic and will soon be OS-agnostic. That's because everything, from filtering to presenting the interface, happens to the HTTP traffic. The only task left to the browser is to render the end result - a safe browsing experience."

http://www.malwarecity.com/blog/social-web-security-re-invented-1040.html

Just found in:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?s=e963ccc4245e1e7eb352d08058783c56&p=1844933#post1844933

ghost

Level 1
Jan 16, 2011
Just installed and tested it on 25 new malware links. Blocked 11 so their weak detection is seen in this product. The good side it installs a hidden toolbar, you can bring it upfront set your protection and then hide it again. Works also on FF4.0 RC,IE 9 and Chrome 10. It scans the webpages so i feel slowdowns sometimes ,maybe on unknown sites. Nice interface but still in beta and i wont keep it on my host, BitDefender is known for causing problems sometimes.

After 14 minutes of using FF 4.0 RC , RAM usage raised to 54000 MB. Huge for a plugin.

ghost

Level 1
Jan 16, 2011
Testing Chrome extension! Works great , no web browsing slowdowns, almost all features added , using 14672 MB of RAM.

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
Interesting they are creating a product with the ability to work on multiple browsers, usually it is IE and FF supported and that is about it so I give them credit for offering for as many as they currently have made available. Maybe it will improve and eventually be worthwhile, 11 of 25 in a single test doesn't 100% confirm its ability or lack of it and to be in beta almost half is at the least ok and could be so much worse so I hope for improvements.

(Ignore if my comments seem a little incoherent, I haven't lost my mind just trying to do way too many things at once, thanks)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
So in the web installer version -which runs a process on your computer- does it provide those two extra features?

79uad

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well there is a adblocker which is coming soon probably might interest. It is also include in trafficlight when installed

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
I feel there is a little bit of a noticeable slowdown with it installed, I do like the interface and see it is obvious it is in BETA form as not all is enabled yet, the ad blocker for example. I do like the blocking page though, it is nice to have the option to decide for myself if I wish to proceed or not, decided to test it with the EICAR test file to see what would happen, feel free to checkout the block page yourself for those that decided to install it.

http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.com

*UPDATE*
While I find the browser support and ambitions as well as apparent abilities of this program I dislike its design to run as a service at all times and not only being active when a browser is open, also the lack of choice on which browsers actively use it makes me less than happy with the installation options. The main reason however I decided to remove this is the slowdown, I tested just prior to install and right after and the loss of speed is simply too great. Ping time increased from 30ms to 531ms and not only does the lost speed become obvious during testing but it is very easily noticeable during browsing. I am hopeful the final version can address the option for which browser gets used and the speed problems, like K9 Web Protection the fact it is an always running service will not change. Great efforts and abilities but until they can resolve the dramatic performance loss in browsing the BETA tag certainly needs to remain on it, look forward to seeing the final release. (Obviously this is just what I personally experienced so many or maybe most others would not experience similar slowdowns).

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well i tested this last friday and just have a bit slow in browsing.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
elliotcroft

I'm not sure about this but is this an error that you execute to install and the bitdefender trafficlight was appearing in the taskbar and you cannot see the installer pop up?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Tweak, is your experience with just the Web Installer version and not the extension-only version?

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
stormgtr said:
Tweak, is your experience with just the Web Installer version and not the extension-only version?

Web installer buddy, that was all I have as of yet bothered trying out. (Due to my intended usage of Opera as my primary browser my only option with Opera is the web installer).

G

Guest28

This, looks very interesting thank you for the heads up on this. I'm going to wait till it's out of beta to test it out.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
My current feedback on using this.

Any browser slowdown? Such as web pages loading slower? Increased RAM?

No slow down with web pages loading, I did a comparison with multiple webpages first before installing TrafficLight and there is little difference. RAM Usage how ever has increased from 140K to 320K.

How about its blocking of malicious/dangerous web pages?

I grabbed 30 links from various sources such as Malc0de and in total it blocked 18/30. Most of them were allowed to load and there seems to be a delay before TrafficLight alerts the user of the dangerous page.
It appears to not block a direct page link to an .exe but it will block the websites main page or subpages.

I do like that they have made the attempt to cover multiple browsers, Yes this is a beta so there will be room for improvement.
I very much likes its GUI and the drop down idea.

Will be watching this one closely. ;)

- I will continue to use it with auto-updates.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Did you use the Web Installer or web-browser specific extension?

I think the Web Installer has the option to scan SSL connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.