Not open for further replies.

Faybert

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Security company Bitdefender has releaser Bitdefender TrafficLight for Firefox 2.0, a security extension for Mozilla's Firefox web browser today.

The new version of Bitdefender TrafficLight for Firefox is the first version that is based on the WebExtensions system.

It introduces new functionality such as whitelist functionality and a system and design update among other new features.
Full article: Bitdefender TrafficLight for Firefox 2.0 released - gHacks Tech News

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Bitdefender TrafficLight is truly light on my web browser and in return on my system. I'd highly recommend anyone to add this on to their configuration as it is quite accurate. Personally, I recommend this add-on for all of my end users based on good results and accuracy.

Thanks for the nice write up @Faybert !

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
For BitDefender TrafficLight users take note
BitDefender TrafficLight for Firefox offers security readings for sites that you visit and sites listed by supported search engines. The extension is an informational tool only, it does not block you from visiting flagged sites.

The extension does display an intermediary page when you visit a flagged site. You can still proceed or whitelist the URL in question.

The tracker feature is limited to the detection of trackers; functionality to block some or all trackers is not available.

Bitdefender TrafficLight for Firefox version 2.0 released - gHacks Tech News

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I'm getting the following results for 'IDN Safe' extension test

FF Quantum - Icon turns Red with counter showing 1 blocked
Chrome - Icon remains GREEN with counter showing 1 blocked

I think the extension has a color issue in Chrome browser

Actually, without using the extension, in FF Quantum v58.0.2 it shows

https://www.xn--pple-43d.com/ at the address bar when I clicked 'www.apple.com' (with Unicode domain) and the below message appears. It's the same in FF Quantum for Android v58.0.2.

Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

We can’t connect to the server at www.xn--pple-43d.com.
If that address is correct, here are three other things you can try:

Try again later.
Check your network connection.
If you are connected but behind a firewall, check that Firefox has permission to access the Web.

And, in Chrome the error message
This site can’t be reached
www.xn--pple-43d.com’s server IP address could not be found.

Try:

ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
HarborFront, on apple.com your link I have apple.com website on CENT...no problem.

TEST phishing website stopped, blocked by TrafficLight (on CENT here):

"Bitdefender blocked this page
This page is part of a phishing attempt.
Web page:
hxxps://xxx.xn--80ak6aa92e.com/ <--- this is "IDN Homograph Example" website...
Take me back to safety"

so thanks to TrafficLight for block this bad website "IDN Homograph Example"... it blocks.
Thank you!

EDIT:
Hmm my test website has changed its address -original address is hxxps://xxx.xn--80ak6aa92e.com/ - but now the address is apple.com with unicode sign for "l' letter...what is this hack
surely cause I first clicked on the HarborFront link, and transmitted infection to my link in this post...

Last edited:
Reactions: Syafiq and frogboy

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
HarborFront, on apple.com your link I have apple.com website on CENT...no problem.

TEST phishing website stopped, blocked by TrafficLight (on CENT here):

"Bitdefender blocked this page
This page is part of a phishing attempt.
Web page:
hxxps://xxx.xn--80ak6aa92e.com/ <--- this is "IDN Homograph Example" website...
Take me back to safety"

so thanks to TrafficLight for block this bad website "IDN Homograph Example"... it blocks.
Thank you!

EDIT:
Hmm my test website has changed its address -original address is hxxps://xxx.xn--80ak6aa92e.com/ - but now the address is apple.com with unicode sign for "l' letter...what is this hack
surely cause I first clicked on the HarborFront link, and transmitted infection to my link in this post...
You need to test the www.apple.com from the below link instead (not the one in post #10 before your post)....the one with the Unicode

How to protect your browser from Unicode domain phishing attacks

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016

1.png 2.png

BD is still useless against malwares, tested 5 minutes ago
only good against phishings

don't use it

Last edited:

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
I'm getting the following results for 'IDN Safe' extension test

FF Quantum - Icon turns Red with counter showing 1 blocked
Chrome - Icon remains GREEN with counter showing 1 blocked

I think the extension has a color issue in Chrome browser

Actually, without using the extension, in FF Quantum v58.0.2 it shows

https://www.xn--pple-43d.com/ at the address bar when I clicked 'www.apple.com' (with Unicode domain) and the below message appears. It's the same in FF Quantum for Android v58.0.2.

And, in Chrome the error message

So, Chrome and FF Quantum v58.0.2 are blocking. IMO, no need to use the 'IDN Safe' extension

It's blocked by Opera indeed!

wCgouvH.jpg

Reactions: frogboy

DavidLMO

Level 4
Verified
Dec 25, 2017
That site xn–pple-43d.com seems to have vanished. Heh

BTW - I use the TL Extension on Chromebook. Works well for me.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Add to your test "Browser JSGuard"
- link for Chrome extension found by search engine: Browser JSGuard
- link for Firefox add-on: Browser JSGuard – Add-ons for Firefox
I tested it with chrome 1 minute ago with ~30 links: a lot of phishings and downloadable malwares in vxvault. It blocked nothing. It seems that it would score 0% in my test
I don't think this is the proper way to test it. It doesn't work the same way as avira, BD or norton

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
I tested it with chrome 1 minute ago with ~30 links: a lot of phishings and downloadable malwares in vxvault. It blocked nothing. It seems that it would score 0% in my test
I don't think this is the proper way to test it. It doesn't work the same way as avira, BD or norton
"I don't think this is the proper way to test it. It doesn't work the same way as avira, BD or norton" - I think too like you
He saved me two times...I don't remember what it was.

Well I have Redirect Control which save from bad redirections
...and SuperStop (FF add-on) with work if press Shift+Esc

Last edited:
Reactions: harlan4096
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.