Bitdefender vs Products Using Bitdefender Engine Explained

Bitdefender or Other Bitdefender-Based Products?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
Bitdefender is a great program, but with still some cons with it. That's why people started releasing AV with Bitdefender's native engine but with different UI. Most come with dual-engines, one being the company's and one being Bitdefender's. The most popular ones are: F-Secure, Emsisoft, and Bullguard. You might ask, "Hey, but why won't people switch to these instead of using Bitdefender, since they come with Bitdefender's essential protection added with their own security options?" A big con of these alternatives are that they are usually outdated, because Bitdefender updates its own products first, then push it out into the other vendors.
So...
Pros of Bitdefender:
-More staff and faster updates
-Always up-to-date
Pros of Other Bitdefender-Based Products:
-Generally more features
-Generally slimmer (less bloated)

Reactions: conceptualclarity

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
BitDefender develops all of its real-time protection features, they only lease their scanning engine to other vendors which is usually an older version but has the latest signature updates. F-Secure, Emsisoft, Qihu 360, Bullguard and others develop their own real-time protection features and implement the scanning engine.

The most bloated part of BitDefender's own product is its real-time protection features that is why other products that using its engines have less bloat and bugs. Just because they use an older scanning engine doesn't mean that the detection is inferior since the signature updates are the same. Newer engines are also much heavier, older engines are more stable.

BitDefender also is known for poor custom support and resolved bugs another benefit for using another product with the BitDefender engine.

Enjoy!! :D

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
BitDefender develops all of its real-time protection features, they only lease their scanning engine to other vendors which is usually an older version but has the latest signature updates. F-Secure, Emsisoft, Qihu 360, Bullguard and others develop their own real-time protection features and implement the scanning engine.

The most bloated part of BitDefender's own product is its real-time protection features that is why other products that using its engines have less bloat and bugs. Just because they use an older scanning engine doesn't mean that the detection is inferior since the signature updates are the same. Newer engines are also much heavier, older engines are more stable.

BitDefender also is known for poor custom support and resolved bugs another benefit for using another product with the BitDefender engine.

Enjoy!! :D
After reading a few posts on their forum, I knew that the technical support wouldn't cut it for me. Some staff seemed rude and closed the thread for no reason.

M

Manzai

Bitdefender : AVC is awesome
F-Secure : DeepGuard :D
Emsisoft : Hight detection rate
BullGuard : Proactivity and light RAM Usage :p

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
If somebody took Bitdefender's Active Virus Control, Comodo's Firewall, Sandboxie's Sandbox, and VirusTotal's 52 engines for cloud on-demand scanning, that would be an antivirus that would be the best!

Reactions: avast! Protection
D

Deleted member 178

Bit Defender = high FPs ratio and many bugs
Emsisoft = BD high FPs ratio - Emsi own engine = less FPs than BD

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013

Once again, very useful info from Littlebits.

i cast my vote for Advanced System Care Ultimate since I enjoyed it when trialing it. I plan to trial Emsisoft on my next system.

Reactions: Nico@FMA
F

ForgottenSeer 19494

Bitdefender or Emsisoft. The one i use is below.:D

Emsisoft has a good HIPS and an antimalware network. Bitdefender has Active Virus Control and B-Have and Intrusion detection system. You can't go wrong.

souhrid

Level 5
Jun 29, 2012
I believe ashampoo av also uses bitdefender scanning engine. But I didn't find any major bugs for a new software like ashampoo compared with age old bitdefender products.

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
I choose Emsisoft hands down :) Why? Bad Support! Lot of promises but just promises and not only in the BD forums but also with their tech support. Have not gotten over when I tried BIS / BAV Pro sometime ago and the help was pffffft.....

Reactions: FreddyFreeloader

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Personally i understand that BD is making a ton of money by selling AV engine modules and such.
Yet the market is flooded with hybrids and such.
Which IMO gets out of control, look at virus total like sites.
Out of the 50+ engines at least 6 or 7 are BD.
There is no point scanning the same file with 6 the same engines and signatures.
Also what i do not like is some brands boosting kickass detections and such while they only made the GUI as the rest is scrapped together from other vendors.
But ill guess everyone is trying to make a buck or 2.
However for the end user it is really wild wild west out there.
Thats just my opinion, yet i think BD is a respectable brand which is being brought down by these wannabe antivirus brands.
Granted there are a very small amount of AV vendors that use the BD engine and made it better or make it work nice alongside their own product..

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
BitDefender 2015 seems a lot better to me than previous versions.

Rus Anca

Level 25
Verified
Jun 18, 2014
Bitdefender is a great program, but with still some cons with it. That's why people started releasing AV with Bitdefender's native engine but with different UI. Most come with dual-engines, one being the company's and one being Bitdefender's. The most popular ones are: F-Secure, Emsisoft, and Bullguard. You might ask, "Hey, but why won't people switch to these instead of using Bitdefender, since they come with Bitdefender's essential protection added with their own security options?" A big con of these alternatives are that they are usually outdated, because Bitdefender updates its own products first, then push it out into the other vendors.
So...
Pros of Bitdefender:
-More staff and faster updates
-Always up-to-date
Pros of Other Bitdefender-Based Products:
-Generally more features
-Generally slimmer (less bloated)
If you are really interested in reading this article, following an opinion endorsed:http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/secu...-antivirus-protection-test-winners-and-losers

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.