App Review Bitdefender's challenge.

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Andy Ful

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I created this video as the continuation of the AVs challenge to show that Antimalware kernel drivers and protected services of popular AVs can be tampered with (from Userland with high privileges), assuming that they are not protected by VBS.
The presented method could be used in the wild because the most important part of it is documented. If so, it was used rarely because I did not see any reference on the web.
It does not use vulnerable drivers and does not abuse PPL.

The presented method is not a full attack, and it is not probable that it can affect home users. However, it can probably be used as a part of targeted attacks in businesses.
Bitdefender is taken only as an example. The presented method was tested by the author on several well-known Antiviruses, with similar effects.

App Review - The Comodo's challenge.

App Review - Comodo's challenge part 2.

App Review - Eset's challenge.

App Review - Microsoft Defender's challenge.​

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Nice test.

I wonder how Emsisoft holds up to this. I read somewhere on their website that it's self protected, particularly if a password is set.
The password is probably to protect the current settings and not to protect kernel drivers. :)
It would be strange to leave the choice of protecting kernel drivers with a password to the customers.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.