Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
BitTorrent Sync for your device gives you access to all of your synced folders when you’re on the go.

Download Mobile App
Features:
  • Access all your Sync folders and files from your device.
  • Add photos from your device to any of your Sync folders.
  • Automatically back up your Camera Roll to a folder on your computer.
  • File transfers are encrypted and protected by secure keys.
  • Your information is never stored on a server in the cloud.
  • Connecting the Sync application to other Sync folders is as easy as taking a picture of a QR code with your camera.
To get the best performance and avoid running up your data charges while syncing your mobile device, we recommend leaving the "Use cellular data" setting off.

Please note that BitTorrent Sync is a personal file syncing application. It is not compatible with torrent file sharing applications and is similar to Box and Dropbox.

BT Sync is also available for platforms. Discussion for BTSync on desktop is here. BETA software, use at your own risk.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I've heard about this before, but never got around to trying it... So i guess it is time to try it now.

SyntaxTerror

Level 1
Verified
Apr 28, 2014
I just wrote a synopsis of this program for a friend. I think it's a gamechanger. They could charge money, and once people see what it does, and how fast it does it, without data hitting GDrive, OneDrive, etc.'s servers, people would get in line to pay it. I wouldn't, but many would.

Reactions: Ink

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Sure is fast and snappy at transferring data. Instead of transferring files via OneDrive, I can sync my Camera Roll directly to my PC. Awesome, because it's now available on Windows Phone. :cool:

SyntaxTerror

Level 1
Verified
Apr 28, 2014
I put it on my girlfriend's laptop and copied a music folder (already on the laptop HDD) to the BTSync folder it made, which was synced to my desktop, and I had the contents in my PC before her HDD could finish copying the contents into the BTSync folder within itself. It was virtually instantaneous.

SyntaxTerror

Level 1
Verified
Apr 28, 2014
There was an update that I didn't receive via the built-in updater on Windows PC, it was released in March. Here's a link, in case you're running an older version. http://malwaretips.com/threads/bittorrent-sync.15422/#post-188935

I'm planning to transferring GBs of video files soon, did you have to tweak your home network router?

Thanks. I have Ninite Updater though. BTSync is amongst the list of files it will update. And it did, IIRC.

And, no, I did nothing. It happened as if it were hard lined to my PC or using a homegroup, so I was wondering if it could have used my network, as well. Although, I'm not quite sure how, with gathering quite a bit of info and making decisions without informed consent.

Also, I do not remember the size of what I synced. it was intentionally larger than a document folder though. However, it didn't finish because I stopped it after I observed the speed. Her HDD was copying too slow. ...gawd, HDD's annoy me sometimes... I mean, ya gotta use 'em for large-scale storage, unless you're rich, but sheesh...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
BTSync works like magic, I believe it does use the network especially for devices on the same network. I'll need to find out how the software works. It's brilliant! :D

It transferred 60 MB from iPhone to Windows PC in less than a minute, and then I sync'd a 350 MB folder from PC to phone in less than 90 seconds.

No more relying on the "cloud", but I could always leave the Sync folder in the "backup to cloud service", so I have a spare copy - but PC needs to remain on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.