Not open for further replies.

Faybert

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
The makers of the password manager Bitwarden have released desktop versions of the application for Windows, Linux and Mac OS.

The password manager was previously available as a browser extension for major web browsers, as mobile applications for Android and iOS, and a web-version that users could access using any modern browser.

The installer, at least the installer for Windows is offered as a web-installer. This means that the installer requires an active Internet connection to download program components during setup.

The size of the full package, a 30 Megabyte download, hints at the use of Electron. A quick check on GitHubconfirms it: "The Bitwarden desktop app is written using Electron and Angular". Electron is a popular choice for the development community but some users feel that it bloats programs and impacts performance.
Full article: Bitwarden Desktop App released - gHacks Tech News

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Fantastic! Thanks for posting. I've been waiting for this. Bit Warden is by a longshot, the best PW manager IMO..

This was one of the only things holding it back from greatness. Now the secured notes are actually usable and not pinned to specific accounts or hidden behind multiple menus. Also I like how he allows disabling of analytics via a checkbox. I'll run a PCAP on it tonight and see what it's up to and report back.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Three issues I see so far;

1) Closing the app should give you the option to always minimize it to tray, rather than simply closing it.
2) Option to Minimize to tray, not the toolbar.
3) A little slow to load, I'm sure they will optimize it.

Also, I would like the option for it to auto-run on boot and pop up asking for the master password like Sticky Password. Maybe I can tweak it to do that via tasks.

Last edited by a moderator:

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Ah cool thanks for sharing! i'm gonna download it..

Edit: Hmm really? false?
cf78a5d7d99bb3e7ee30259d924a53ba.png

Edit: Never mind yea that was false i dont know why! i shut down my computer i went to sleep then woke up and start the PC i thought i would try see again what happens!

Last edited:
Reactions: Weebarra

jrw666

Level 2
Verified
Oct 24, 2016
Think I'm being really dumb but I don't get how the desktop version works? Do you still need the browser extension?

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Ah cool thanks for sharing! i'm gonna download it..

Edit: Hmm really? false?
cf78a5d7d99bb3e7ee30259d924a53ba.png

Edit: Never mind yea that was false i dont know why! i shut down my computer i went to sleep then woke up and start the PC i thought i would try see again what happens!
same happened with Emsisoft in my VM, it's being flagged by a few AVs.

Think I'm being really dumb but I don't get how the desktop version works? Do you still need the browser extension?
no, it's running on its own, only downside right now is that you can't minimize it to the task bar.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyberTech

jrw666

Level 2
Verified
Oct 24, 2016
Thanks but how do you fill passwords with just the desktop app? If I open the site from BW app it still asks for login details.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Thanks but how do you fill passwords with just the desktop app? If I open the site from BW app it still asks for login details.
it doesn't autofill, you have to copy the passwords.
it's for having your password at your hand without the need to open your browser.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Hmm i think there's a problem i have two notes in the folders i added a new note to the folder which its 3 folders in the extension ok when i go to bitwarden desktop there are two folders? i synced it its 2 folders :unsure:

Edit: never mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.