New Update Bitwarden to add support for passwordless login to vault, and even more features

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
" The Bitwarden roadmap for 2022 has been updated, the company plans to implement some interesting features in its password manager. "
Bitwarden-roadmap-2022.png

Bitwarden to add support for passwordless login

One of the upcoming features that we can look forward to in Bitwarden is passwordless login. This probably isn't what you're thinking, it's not for websites. This option will allow you to approve a login to your Bitwarden vault on a new device from an existing one. Here's an example given by a Bitwarden employee, the passwordless login can be used to sign in to your browser extension by confirming it from your mobile phone.

Bitwarden 2022 Roadmap

Per the roadmap that has been published on its site, these features will make their way into the password manager sometime in the 2nd half of the year.

Bitwarden wants to introduce additional item types for users to add to the vault. Vault item labels is a tool that can help users organize their content. Though it sounds like Tags, it will actually be a replacement for vault folders. Vault item sharing will let users send items that they have in their vault to other users.

Enhanced Localization will provide a more efficient way for translators working on different languages. Bitwarden will get a notification center, though it is unclear what it will do, perhaps it might provide alerts for unsuccessful login attempts? Users will be able to gift Bitwarden premium subscriptions to others, and a referral system is coming.

The company will also update its desktop apps with new features. The main issue with the password manager is it's unusable offline unless you are already signed in to your account, but even that has some restrictions. This might change, as Bitwarden will include support for offline editing, which sounds good.

Not all of these features will be available for everyone. Passwordless login options, additional item types, and vault item labels will be available for free users, while the rest are heading to the premium tier.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Ha......ha........ha..............BW missed its deadline. Those mentioned features still not implemented. Maybe by 1st quarter of 2023

I would like to see those features implemented before going for premium plan. Others include

1) use passkey instead of password
2) support desktop application access
3) support tracking of which provider you sign in
4) support multiple logins/passwords for the same visiting website
5) share public link and can type email to send an item to the other party’s Bitwarden account
6) have multiple vaults for different purpose with individual master password
7) recovery option of master password if lost. Want to know what happens if passkey doesn't work for some reasons
8) use of secret key to reinforce the master password

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
9) support for 2FA TOTP on websites
AFAIK, it's possible to use TOTP for any website where 2FA is supported, probably you need a subscription of Bitwarden Premium. I can see the TOTP ability on my iphone (iOS 16.2) but looks like doesn't work as feature for me as free version user of Bitwarden.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
AFAIK, it's possible to use TOTP for any website where 2FA is supported, probably you need a subscription of Bitwarden Premium. I can see the TOTP ability on my iphone (iOS 16.2) but looks like doesn't work as feature for me as free version user of Bitwarden.

Thanks. Revised my list

BTW, do you know whether autofilling password for a website is automatic or I need to go through a couple of clicks? For example, if I go to MWT forum, it'll detect and autofill the password. Or I need to choose the MWT displayed and click to autofill the password? Is there a feature to enable autofill to perform the task?

Thanks

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Thanks. Revised my list

BTW, do you know whether autofilling password for a website is automatic or I need to go through a couple of clicks? For example, if I go to MWT forum, it'll detect and autofill the password. Or I need to choose the MWT displayed and click to autofill the password? Is there a feature to enable autofill to perform the task?

Thanks

This feature we have to enable manually via Bitwarden browser extension/addon: Settings => OTHER: Options => AUTOFILL: Auto-fill on page load ✅

BW.png

Zeitas

Level 2
Verified
Apr 27, 2014

Downside Bitwarden:

:Extra data may be collected about you through promotions

:Your personal data may be sold or otherwise transferred as part of a bankruptcy proceeding or other type of financial transaction

:You are tracked via web beacons, tracking pixels, browser fingerprinting, and/or device fingerprinting

:This service gives your personal data to third parties involved in its operation

:The service provider makes no warranty regarding uninterrupted, timely, secure or error-free service

:This service throttles your use

:Users are responsible for any risks, damages, or losses

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

Downside Bitwarden:

:Extra data may be collected about you through promotions

:Your personal data may be sold or otherwise transferred as part of a bankruptcy proceeding or other type of financial transaction

:You are tracked via web beacons, tracking pixels, browser fingerprinting, and/or device fingerprinting

:This service gives your personal data to third parties involved in its operation

:The service provider makes no warranty regarding uninterrupted, timely, secure or error-free service

:This service throttles your use

:Users are responsible for any risks, damages, or losses

As far as privacy policy is concerned, more or less password managers speak the same language

Last edited:
Reactions: I Walk MY Way

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Bitwarden introduced its passwordless login method a couple of months ago, for its mobile apps.
Now, the password manager has expanded the new web vault login experience to its desktop app.

How to enable passwordless login in Bitwarden on desktop

1. Open the Bitwarden desktop app on your PC.

2. Unlock your Vault using your master password.

3. Go to the File > Settings page.

4. Click the checkbox next to the option that says "Approve Login Requests".

How to enable passwordless login in Bitwarden for Desktop

5. Switch to your web browser, and access the Bitwarden web vault Bitwarden Web Vault

6. Enter your email address in the username field.

7. Click the continue button, and the page will prompt you to enter your Master Password. It also has an option to "Login with Device". (1st screenshot)

8. Select the option, and the page will display a message that reads "Log in initiated", and says that a notification has been sent to your device. It also shows a fingerprint phrase, which is a combination of random words.

Bitwarden passwordless login fingerprint phrase login request

9. Switch out to the Bitwarden desktop app, and you should see a pop-up window that gives you the details of the login attempt. This push notification lists the IP address where the request was made from, the time, and the browser used for signing in. The fingerprint phrase is also displayed in this panel. You can use this information to check whether it is a legitimate login attempt or not, i.e. if it is from your device or elsewhere.

10. Click the confirm login button to allow the passwordless login attempt. Or, hit the deny login button to block access to your account.

Bitwarden passwordless login fingerprint phrase confirm or deny login

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.