Ubuntu, MX and Manjaro: Firejail and ufw with "Deny" Incoming
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
ZAM PRO and EEK
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox: Gnome Shell Extensions, BitWarden, Grammarly, HTTPS EveryWhere, Enhancer for Youtube and Video DownloadHelper
Opera (rarely used): HTTPS EveryWhere, its own advertising blocker and Flash Video Downloader
Maintenance tools
Wisecare 365, Reg Organizer and Clover
File and Photo backup
Windows Backup
System recovery
CloneZilla

Black Wings

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 20, 2018
I use the following software in Windows: Kaspersky Software Updater, Iobit Driver Booster, Soft Organizer

And the following in both, Ubuntu and Win: LibreOffice, Xtreme Download Manager, PeaZip, Audacity, XnViewMP, Wavebox, VLC ...

In my desktop computer (the one I'm writing from) I prefer to keep my Win8.1 version, as the latest updates of W10 broke my system and yet, with Win 8.1, the system runs smoothly and without any apparent problems.

My current version of Linux is Ubuntu, as it allows me to work without distractions and everything works correctly without having to learn how to configure or work too much with the terminal.

Then:
  • I try to use the same programs on Linux and Windows, so as not to waste time on learning curves.
  • I love using free software, but I'm always on the lookout for giveaways, promos, deals and Beta versions.
  • My preference is to have a computer that is easy to use and with which I feel comfortable to work.

Thanks for reading and for your advices

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@Black Wings: there is a slight inconsistency in the data of your config:

If you are in W8, then the data in the field: Device Security: Not applicable (Windows 7, Linux) -> SmartScreen for applications is available in W8 also (not in W7), please clarify if You have it enabled or not...

Thanks for sharing :giggle:

Last edited:

Black Wings

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 20, 2018
@Black Wings: there is a slight inconsistency in the data of your config:

If you are in W8, then the data in the field: Device Security: Not applicable (Windows 7, Linux) -> SmartScreen for applications is available in W8 also (not in W7), please clarify if You have it enabled or not...

Thanks for sharing :giggle:

Oops! My fault.

Thank you for notifying me it. Changed. I have SmartScreen enabled. Mistake corrected

Black Wings

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 20, 2018
Hi :)

I recently installed W10 x64, my computer used to work better with W8.1, but it was a pleasant surprise to see that it now runs smoothly.
When changing the operating system, I also wanted to "play" with different settings to protect the computer and now is the time to doubt and ask you what option you think is best.

I like to run my browser virtualized in certain cases and I have doubts about using Sandboxie, Shade Sandbox or Comodo Firewall.

I want a strong and light defense (y)... and free :p... and safe ... :cool: and... and that it brings me breakfast in bed. :D well ... the last point may be optional. :emoji_flushed:

I'm thinking one of these possibilities:
  • Kaspersky free + OSA + SysHardener
  • Forticlient free + OSA + SysHardener
  • Comodo Firewall (CS Settings) + Windows Defender + Syshardener
Thanks for reading and for your advice :)

Black Wings

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 20, 2018
Last Windows partition changes

Removed:
  • Windows 8.1
  • Kaspersky free
  • OSA
  • Macrium Reflect free
Added:
  • Windows 10
  • Comodo Firewall (CS Settings + HIPS Safe Mode)
  • Configure Defender
  • Windows Defender Highest level
  • Easeus Todo Backup Home
  • Decentraleyes and Netcraft extensions for Firefox
When I changed my version of Windows, I wanted to play with other possible settings. I love NVT ERP and NVT OSA, but I don't see interesting running them with Comodo Firewall.

Changing my backup program has not been easy either, in fact, I have my doubts about whether I have succeeded, but I have to admit that Easeus has interesting advantages for me (speed, a report by email and incremental copy), so I decided to try it.

Your comments and advice are welcome. Thank you :)

Black Wings

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 20, 2018
Hi :)
I have upgraded my system to Win 10 1803 x64

Lately I have had problems with my old (and very dear) Win 8.1. I have done several clean installations, but the error persisted (delay in opening certain programs, which were only solved with a system reboot).

My backup programs have failed me in one way or another, so now I only make backups of my Data.
Lately I only use Windows to run certain games, so I'm seriously thinking about removing it and running it only in a virtual machine.

Ubuntu, Manjaro and MX make me enjoy the experience. In fact, I'm getting to change the OS in some computers of the company where I work. (computers that are only used as a query)

Thanks for reading and for your advice :)

Black Wings

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 20, 2018
How you feeling upgrading from 8.1 to 10?

~LDogg

I didn't like the change. In this computer, the performance of Win 8.1 is significantly better both in system startup and shutdown, as well as speed when opening pages on the Internet, loading games, etc..

I have done several clean installations of Win 8.1 and at the end (two or three months), there are applications that take a long time to open and other times, Windows update literally breaks the system, so I have migrated to W10.

The system seems stable, is not as fast as Ubuntu or Manjaro or MX, but at the moment I use it mainly to play.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Hopefully you can get win 8.1 back onto your config, as it seems like this can help you a lot better the current installation of win 10. Hope all gets sorted out for you in the mean time though.

~LDogg

Black Wings

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 20, 2018
Hopefully you can get win 8.1 back onto your config, as it seems like this can help you a lot better the current installation of win 10. Hope all gets sorted out for you in the mean time though.

~LDogg

Reactions: Vasudev

Black Wings

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 20, 2018
Due to Black Friday I have made some changes

Removed:
  • Comodo Firewall
  • Windows Defender
  • Configure Defender
  • Easeus Todo Backup Home
  • Decentraleyes and Netcraft extensions for Firefox
Added:
  • Trend Micro Maximum Security
  • Adguard Desktop
  • NVT OSArmor
The Adguard option was not really necessary, but @Telos and @crezz have shared a really good offer to get a lifetime license

The first thing I felt was that the computer was running pretty smoothly. (y)

The second thing is that my wife took my credit card until the next Black Friday, :rolleyes: but that's another story. Wifeware I think it's called :ROFLMAO:

Black Wings

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 20, 2018
Nice changes! Adguard is worth every penny! And trends gui is pure design p#rn! The best designed interface out there! How does it perform?

It's perfect. I have restarted a couple of times the computer to observe the Windows startup time, as well as the time to open pages on the Internet and everything runs smoothly.

I think it's an excellent purchase, especially considering it's a lifetime license.

Thanks @Mr.Wave :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.