Always notify
Real-time security
MIcrosoft Defender
Macrium Reflect Image Gurdian
OSArmor
Firewall security
About custom security
Configure Defender: High
OSArmor tweaked to cover extra functions I don't use.
Periodic malware scanners
EEK, MBAM, ESET online scanner
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox-
Malwarebytes Browser Guard
uBlock Origin
1PasswordX

Edge Chromium Beta-
Smartscreen enabled
1PasswordX
uBlock Origin

Chrome-
uBlock Origin
1PasswordX

Brave-
Shields on
1PasswordX
Maintenance tools
RunBySmartscreen
Process Monitor
HWinfo64
MSI Afterburner
Bandizip
File and Photo backup
Onedrive - Microsoft 365
Google Drive
System recovery
Macrium Reflect Home - weekly
Image Guardian Enabled
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
i7 6700
16 GB DDR4 3000
RTX 2060 Super
256 SSD
512 SSD
1 TB HDD

All home devices behind a Gryphon router.

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Precisely. VS seems to have fallen out of favor here on the forum but it remains a lightweight, secure option nonetheless. And it needs no configuration.
I just am figuring out autopilot vs smart. I've only left it in autopilot before. I like it, and the one advantage of VS over OSArmor is Dan is a little more active in keeping touch about development. OSArmor kind of needs less maintenance, though.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I just am figuring out autopilot vs smart
Either one is fine. Autopilot mode is recommended when testing because it behaves most like an AV. The cruel one used it in her famous "Messin' with malware" video.

OSArmor kind of needs less maintenance, though.

I disagree. You could easily use an older version, e.g. 5.0 and it works great. Dan just added WLC and has to deal with 3rd party software-related bugs on occasion.

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I disagree. You could easily use an older version, e.g. 5.0 and it works great. Dan just added WLC and has to deal with 3rd party software-related bugs on occasion.
Ah, I hadn't followed the development. He just updates so often, and is more active. I know 'Andreas' pops in now and again in different places. Both are busy with other jobs as well. So we appreciate their work when they have time.

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
My test of Voodooshield has ended, on a very positive note. I really like it. It takes a little more work with false positives for gaming than OSArmor, which is zero. OSArmor also has a stupid small memory footprint. If OSArmor stops being developed or stops working well I will move to VS. Overall I give Voodooshild an A out of 5 stars (y).

Added-
OSArmor

Removed-
Voodooshield

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I installed ESET after an update to 2004 that went pretty well. Apparently the old version of the HEIF Image Extension app isn’t compatible with ESET’s 2004 update. I reinstalled windows with a refresh and data wipe. Now reinstalled ESET and it’s working fine. Going to compare performance to Bitdefender and see which one will stay on the gaming machine. I’m inheriting my wife’s XPS 15 as she decided to go back to a Mac for better compatibility with her uses. Filming on an iPhone is a pain in the butt with a PC. But a win for me, already have new RAM in hand.

Removed-
WD

Added-
ESET IS

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Ha ha, no I think the testing is over. Watch the new laptop config for constant changes. Not much important will be on there so fresh installs will be simple ;).

Edit: Unless unforeseen BD issues appear. 😅
Ow, I see. Great then :)
The PC is for playing games and the laptop is for playing with AVs 😄

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.