May 2, 2022
How it's used?
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 11
On-device encryption
N/A
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Access Control
Always notify
Smart App Control
Off
Network firewall
Enabled
About WiFi router
RT-AX86U
Real-time security
Microsoft Defender
OSArmor
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
RunBySmartscreen added to context menu
Periodic malware scanners
ESET, EEK, Malwarebytes, NPE
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
none
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome -
uBlock Origin
1Password
Bitdefender Trafficlight

Edge Chromium -
uBlock Origin
1Password
Smartscreen - On

Firefox -
uBlock Origin
1Password
Malwarebytes Browser Guard
Secure DNS
Quad9
Desktop VPN
none
Password manager
1Password
Maintenance tools
HWiNFO
Process Explorer
Everything
Bandizip
File and Photo backup
OneDrive
Macrium Reflect
Active subscriptions
    • Microsoft 365 Family 6TB
System recovery
Macrium Reflect
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
Ryzen 7 5800X
ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro Wifi
32GB G.Skill Trident Neo 3600 cl16
RX 7900XT Merc
500GB WD SN550 NVME
2TB SN850X
500GB WD Blue SSD
1TB WD Blue HDD
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Added DarkReader finally. Some sites were just burning my eyes out. Also using ISP DNS for router which improves streaming experiences and Quad9 DoH in my browsers. Quad9 DoT wasn't stable enough for whole router. Had random drop outs, and the ISP gets me to the edge hosted CDNs for streaming sticks.

F

ForgottenSeer 94943

In the browser settings they are a set to quad9 with ECS. (9.9.9.11)

For Firefox I set TRR mode to 3 so it forces DoH with no fallback (mostly works). I don’t use Firefox much these days.
So you do not have DoH set system wide?
Firefox is a disappointment. Vivaldi is much better, at least for me.

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Back to Microsoft Defender for my main desktop. Mostly for compatibility and ease of use. I like F-Secure and will keep in on my laptop while we see how the WITH Secure changeover shakes out.

Back to Malwarebytes Browser Guard for url filtering.

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
*You mean compatibility.
Malwarebytes Browser Guard blocks malicious sites as soon as I try to access it. Ridiculously fast. I heard it's not cloud-based, downloads data locally. This could be the reason behind its speed. Do you know anything about it? I think checked it in the past in Firefox and didn't see it making network requests while visiting webpages.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
see how the WITH Secure changeover shakes out.
Also curious on that even if they officially flagged about it on the investor levels, but I doubt it would suddenly break either of them and leave one in the dust and useless. It's been a round a little too long and it's integration even in the home user market is still huge, either one like it or not. They are still far from market tactics like McAfee, but it's much more common today to see them being offered then just a few years ago. I'm of course thinking about F-Secure and their SAFE and TOTAL solutions. 1 year free subscriptions along with a new PC/laptop purchase is very common here in Scandinavia. WITH Secure is today their new business/corporate brand for those that missed out.

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
*You mean compatibility.
Malwarebytes Browser Guard blocks malicious sites as soon as I try to access it. Ridiculously fast. I heard it's not cloud-based, downloads data locally. This could be the reason behind its speed. Do you know anything about it? I think checked it in the past in Firefox and didn't see it making network requests while visiting webpages.
Thanks for the catch on my autocorrect mistake!

I’ve always found the Malwarebytes extension to be very fast. And a long time ago in a thread with Fabian Worsaw he mentioned it was one of the few extensions that respected privacy the most. I have no idea how they store the data though.

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Thanks for the catch on my autocorrect mistake!

I’ve always found the Malwarebytes extension to be very fast. And a long time ago in a thread with Fabian Worsaw he mentioned it was one of the few extensions that respected privacy the most. I have no idea how they store the data though.
Yeah, they do respect privacy. I checked again today in Edge. After installing, on the very first and second visit to a webpage, it downloaded separate data for phishing, malware, whitelist, etc. categories. After that, no more connection was made upon visiting other sites. So it's a bit like Google Safe Browsing. Database are downloaded on the disk at certain intervals. That's why it's superfast with basically no measurable delay. It used to have an impact on CPU, but I'm not seeing that anymore.

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
Yeah, they do respect privacy. I checked again today in Edge. After installing, on the very first and second visit to a webpage, it downloaded separate data for phishing, malware, whitelist, etc. categories. After that, no more connection was made upon visiting other sites. So it's a bit like Google Safe Browsing. Database are downloaded on the disk at certain intervals. That's why it's superfast with basically no measurable delay. It used to have an impact on CPU, but I'm not seeing that anymore.

This one right?

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Oh I also had to switch to 9.9.9.9 instead of 9.9.9.11 with ECS. It seems there are one or two authoritative name servers that aren't compatible with ECS and just fail. I had never noticed until two different sites in one week wouldn't work. Unfortunately one of them was part of my bank, so I have to give up some streaming snappiness on my desktop to use Quad9. But, I really like their approach so I am using that for now.

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Yes there any advantage of using it over Configure Defender? I never tried it as I didn't see the point of keeping another program always running just to manage MD.
It has some experimental protection for protecting Defender from being disabled. It also will re-enable Defender when it get's disabled intentionally or maliciously.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.