Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Visit Blacklight – The Markup

How it works?

Updates: May 31, 2023
One key feature of Blacklight is showing users which companies’ trackers are present on a website. Blacklight determines this by comparing a website’s network traffic with two regularly updated “tracker lists.” One is called the EasyPrivacy list, which is maintained by EasyList and used in a number of ad blockers. The other is called DuckDuckGo Tracker Radar and is provided by the search engine DuckDuckGo (disclosure: DuckDuckGo is a contributor to The Markup).

We are also updating Blacklight to detect trackers against a recent version of these lists, and added an additional tracker list: EasyList’s main eponymous list, which is focused on detecting network requests to advertising sites. Previously, we only used EasyList’s EasyPrivacy list, which specializes in detecting network requests to trackers not included in the main list.
Blacklight launched in September 2020, and since then has completed over 10 million scans. In addition to showing users the trackers present on a website, it also lists who gets the visitor data the trackers collect (for example, companies such as Meta and Google, and many less well-known ad-industry companies).

We’re also upgrading to a more recent version of Chromium, the open-source browser Google Chrome is based on, which Blacklight uses to visit the sites it scans. In another change, this browser now pretends it’s running on an iPhone 13 (it used to pretend to be an iPhone X).

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
tried scanning malwaretips.com and blacklight returns

There is an issue with Blacklight. Please try again later​

:unsure:

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
This is what I got.
1688936907680.png

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I cleaned out Edge and tested MT url again and this time Blacklight finished very quickly and gave MT a clean bill of health, no trackers... I did get a few positive hits on a webmail site that I was not expecting, so a nice tool.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.