Not open for further replies.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Welcome!
I am pleased to share with you an open source disk cleaner for Windows and Linux.

Home Page: http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/
And here is a screenshot of the program:
bleachbit-081-Windows-7-en-Firefox.png

Hope you like it :)

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Great find, thanks. I haven't deleted anything yet, just using the preview button, and boy, is there a lot of junk on my system.
Before I delete anything, is there some things I should not delete under pain of death of my pc? Eg: under SYSTEM, if I check all boxes, I can delete 1.31GB of data. Which are the SAFE and UNSAFE categories any sub categories to delete?
I obviously don't want to destroy my pc!

Thanks

ps: I only want to delete unnecessary files

eXPerience

Level 1
Mar 7, 2011
Hi viking, it should be safe to select all boxes, however I would sujest you deselect the 7th and 9th option (I have it in dutch so I'll try to make a decent translation for the 2 : delete software-uninstallers, free empty space) because they can cause issues when deleting software and the other one will just take a loooong time to complete.
All the rest should be safe as far as I can see.

best regards,
eXp

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Viking said:
Great find, thanks. I haven't deleted anything yet, just using the preview button, and boy, is there a lot of junk on my system.
Before I delete anything, is there some things I should not delete under pain of death of my pc? Eg: under SYSTEM, if I check all boxes, I can delete 1.31GB of data. Which are the SAFE and UNSAFE categories any sub categories to delete?
I obviously don't want to destroy my pc!

Thanks

ps: I only want to delete unnecessary files

I check all boxes, but excluding the ones that bleachbit warns me about them. Also create a system restore point before cleaning the system for the first time.

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Very nice tool, ive used it on linux before and it does a nice job at cleaning :) but for windows i still love ccleaner lol

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Managed to find an application for Puppy Linux and just checked only for Firefox and Pidgin for cleaning the temp/caches.

D

Deleted member 178

damn it, i have forgotten this one ! thanks to remind me with it !

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Made a simple review about Bleachbit :) have to say its definitely a must application for anyone. This would my primary cleaning application for Linux.

Thread

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
BleachBit portable cleaner latest version

BleachBit portable cleaner latest version : BleachBit v0.9.6 latest stable version : on bleachbit.sourceforge.net : http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/

F2RLheV.jpg

BleachBit pale blue download button.jpg

After click on this 'Download now' big pale blue button, you have the next page, with download links for Linux and Windows. After click on 'Windows' link, click on 'BleachBit portable' link, like me, and download BleachBit-0.9.6-portable.zip file from katana.oooninja.com
After extraction, I have the BleachBit portable version folder in My Documents, of 7.53 MB.
Then make bleachbit.exe shortcut on your desktop, and go to notch the boxes (or unnotch some ..).

BleachBit is developed by Andrew Ziem, thank you!

I notched all possibilities, and then cleaned more than 62 MB from my Windows, NO problems. It's safe.

1* If you wish speedy clean: in System, unnotch 'Free disk space' box , because overwriting of free disk space takes about 45 minutes ..
2* If you want to keep your Restore Points - in Deep scan unnotch: 'Backup files' box.

The way I see it BleachBit is much more efficient than CCleaner, and more efficient than KCleaner. 62 MB more than these two, here.

Look too on Bill Mullins blog, about BleachBit:
Open Source BleachBit 0.9.3 – Deletes HTML5 Cookies: http://billmullins.wordpress.com/2012/07/12/open-source-bleachbit-0-9-3-deletes-html5-cookies/

Yes, it deletes super cookies, evercookies, easily!
Chris A. wrote in the comments:
'Hello again Bill,
I now feel fully educated about evercookies thanks to you. I use a few other browsers other than the ones that BleachBit is capable of cleaning so I decided to check for evercookies. SlimBoat (portable version) had evercookies present in a couple of locations ..
I simply added the location of the folders/ subfolders containing the evercookies to be cleaned by other software. ..'

Edit:

* After cleaning with BleachBit and restart Windows, I created the Restore point because all my Restore points are missing, and I do not know why .. --> yes I see now: under 'Deep scan' unnotch: 'Backup files' box, if you want to keep your Restore Points .. and click on 'Wipe free space' under 'File' tab (if you're cleaned with 'Free disk space' box notched ..) '

- But it's not problem for me, because my Windows is clean.
And much faster now! Faster start of PC, because it clean NTOSBOOT file in Prefetch .. and this file reborn much smallest (from 500 KB, it reborn to 320 KB approx.).
Windows Non-Paged Usage 7.39 MB 204x20.jpg
4zO7f1t.jpg

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
BleachBit System preferences Free disk space box.jpg
bAvOF06.jpg

BleachBit 'Free disk space' overwrite free space with random data.jpg
y0u6DjS.jpg

If you notch 'Free disk space' box, BleachBit overwrites the free space of hard disk, with random data.

So Windows System Restore are not able to automatically create the Restore Points, and simultaneously purge all existent Restore Points, because all free space is overwrited with this random data, so taken. For System Restore, there is no free space.
Now you don't have the Restore Points, but you're able to create Restore Points manually.

To find the solution to this problem, click 'File' tab, then: 'Wipe free space' ..
After run 'Wipe free space', the problem is solved.

Look too on this topic: System Restore not auto creating Restore Points (Solved) : http://malwaretips.com/Thread-System-Restore-not-auto-creating-Restore-Points-Solved

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
BleachBit portable cleaner latest version : v1.0

BleachBit 1.0 makes it easier to shred any file; adds three cleaners; improves cleaners for Google Chrome and Adobe Flash; has a digitally signed installer for Windows; and more.
BleachBit version 1.0 is available today. Rather than a marketing gimmick or a sign of a quantum leap in features, it is a mark of maturity. The first BleachBit was released five years ago on December 24, 2008, and much has changed since then.

Changes (for Windows):

These are the changes since version 0.9.6:

•The command line option --shred now shreds arbitrary files.
•Add Octave cleaner
•Add Warzone 2100 cleaner
•Clean recently played in VLC (thanks to nolme/Vincent DUVERNET - Nolmë Informatique)
•Google Chrome: Fix errors "Favicons is version 26" and "DatabaseError: no such column: full_path"
•Google Chrome: delete more cache
•Remove auto-hide option. (Before, it was a default.)

The BleachBit executable and Windows installer are cryptographically signed, so you are sure no one has tampered with them. Windows should NOT give you the unknown publisher warning
◦Register verb (shortcut menu item) for shredding files
◦When updating winapp2.ini, automatically load changes without GUI restart
◦Delete more system logs
◦Clean more Adobe Flash

◦Fix error "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" when cleaning .ini with overwrite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.