Bloat AV vs simple and ligth? What i need to have security.

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
I am worried about my PC security when it comes to financial data.

I have 2 long term licenses: 1 of Norton and 1 for Emsisoft . I have Norton installed now because i think is more comprehensive and complete than.

The other day i have to took a screenshot of my bank page to send my account number to a friend who need it to make a payment. I edited the screenshot and only sent him the number who he need it, no another data. I did not worry because I've performed this action but then i started to think. What if someone else (a hacker) takes a screenshot of my PC and send my data to another people. So I've started to look for some security suites like Avast or Kaspersky who have screen protection and privacy data protection. I see Avast has "Privacy data protection" they check all files and block these to be sent. They detect name or bank cards and block files (i really does not know how it works), and Kaspersky has webcam protection and another things like safe browser.

Now my question is. Am I good with Norton or Emsisoft when it comes to keyloggers and personal data protection? Or I need another AV or a combo like Comodo Firewall + Emsisoft, or Kaspersky, Avast..

Last edited by a moderator:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Imo banking & shopping online are two different things, but having basic antivirus and using bit of common sense basic user have nothing to worry about

I seriously know people with their pcs full of malware and avast beeping 247 they dont care, but they still do banking etc without any problems

I do not have credit/debit whatever card myself so i cant comment on that

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Thanks for your opinion bro. As I said i am worried because . What happen if someone hack me and take a screenshot. I really do not browse on extrage sites and does not give personal data, and at minimum risk activity i contact av support one time i contact because i click on a facebook scam and chancgue all passwords. I does not install extrange things.

I think Emsi + comodo are very agresive and no know conflicts (Ugly interface) Norton Horrible quarintine Kaspersky If i do not use TAM adecuatly and allow everything the protection are useless

Reactions: Moonhorse

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Comodo firewall does have secure shopping, that '' stops hackers and malware taking screenshot of your session''

Comodo is strong even standalone, so any antivirus you decide to go with is good solution

Reactions: Weebarra

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
- Just use an AV that it makes you feel comfortable (stay away from avast these days)
- Scan your pc using second opinion scanners like Zemana Antimalware, Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro at least once a week.
- Sandbox your browser using Sandboxie.
- Clean up temporary files etc.. with Privacy Eraser, or CCleaner.
- BACK UP your data weekly (just in case)
- do NOT share passwords, card numbers and other sensitive data with other people (even with friends)

And if you're a careful user then you have nothing to be afraid.

P.S. DO NOT use security programs that you don't know how they work (anti exe, pc lock, hips etc) otherwise you'll crash your system sooner or later

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Thanks for your opinion bro. As I said i am worried because . What happen if someone hack me and take a screenshot. I really do not browse on extrage sites and does not give personal data, and at minimum risk activity i contact av support one time i contact because i click on a facebook scam and chancgue all passwords. I does not install extrange things.

I think Emsi + comodo are very agresive and no know conflicts (Ugly interface) Norton Horrible quarintine Kaspersky If i do not use TAM adecuatly and allow everything the protection are useless
- Just use an AV that it makes you feel comfortable (stay away from avast these days)
- Scan your pc using second opinion scanners like Zemana Antimalware, Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro at least once a week.
- Sandbox your browser using Sandboxie.
- Clean up temporary files etc.. with Privacy Eraser, or CCleaner.
- BACK UP your data weekly (just in case)
- do NOT share passwords, card numbers and other sensitive data with other people (even with friends)

And if you're a careful user then you have nothing to be afraid.

P.S. DO NOT use security programs that you don't know how they work (anti exe, pc lock, hips etc) otherwise you'll crash your system sooner or later
Why stay away from avast? other could stay away from malwarebytes. I dont have anything against both of these and they are good products that im using aswell

You have good tips, but really the only way to learn how hips, locking etc works is trying them out

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
Why stay away from avast?

Latest versions are problematic (such as UI failed to load, pc freezes, black screen on windows start up, behavior shield inactive, and more....)
From my experience and many others in avast forum, Avast seems to have serious problems with the latest versions and there is no an official fix yet from the avast team.
Please check their forum.

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
the only way to learn how hips, locking etc works is trying them out

If you don't know what this kind of software can do to your pc there is always a possibility to damage to pc by blocking something that not meant to be blocked. That's why all these software has been made for experienced users. That's my opinion, maybe i'm wrong....

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
If you don't know what this kind of software can do to your pc there is always a possibility to damage to pc by blocking something that not meant to be blocked. That's why all these software has been made for experienced users. That's my opinion, maybe i'm wrong....
Never had any problems with avast, and usually they fix bugs very fast. Default comodo settings doesnt even have hips on and still is superior for home users over other products, if you dont have common sense to see what hips is doing you wont compete with any other av when you run into problems

No point to blacklist any software since everyone have their pros & cons and people using their different devices different way, just find best solution for you

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
An updated browser at this point is quite a substantial level of protection.
^ this aswell, personaly i do banking on default chrome and for browsing internet i have comodo dragon. Best would just be having some cheap pc to use for banking/shopping only and have main computer for other stuff, but basically common sense is better over paranoid security

I

illumination

I truly hope i did not read this right above, but you sent your bank account number to a friend via screenshot?

Never give your personal credentials to anyone, ever... Risky behavior as such, is not able to be protected by any security product. Screen shots of the account number are not a good idea either.

Instead of giving you advice on security applications, i'm going to advise you to reconsider what and how you divulge important personal information. Learn some safer habits.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
No point to blacklist any software since everyone have their pros & cons and people using their different devices different way, just find best solution for you

First of all what i wrote was stay away from avast these days, talking from my personal experience and many many other user in avast forum who have serious problems (which i also mentioned) with latest avast installation.

Of course avast is one of the best free av but it seems they need to fix some serious bugs these days, and so far there is no any official fix especially for ''UI Failed to load'' thing.

As for anti exe, hips, pc lock etc... there is a reason that many people say that is for advance users in general. If a person has some experience with his pc then yes why not to try them.

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
First of all what i wrote was stay away from avast these days, talking from my personal experience and many many other user in avast forum who have serious problems (which i also mentioned) with latest avast installation.

Of course avast is one of the best free av but it seems they need to fix some serious bugs these days, and so far there is no any official fix especially for ''UI Failed to load'' thing.

As for anti exe, hips, pc lock etc... there is a reason that many people say that is for advance users in general. If a person has some experience with his pc then yes why not to try them.
When 1803 build came out and i was using avast, the ui caused me to switch back to comodo antivirus, they fixed ui day after tho. So i dont think this bug currenly exist at all.

Theres novice people on every forum messing up with any antivirus its not just avast

Personaly i find agressive mode avast pretty effective against new threats, but downsides are the ads and bloatware that comes with it liek ccleaner, chrome etc etc wich novice user may install. Therefore there is better antivirus alternatives free of bloatware that might be more user friendly than avast

Reactions: MikeV

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Hi, hi, thanks for your answers guys. First the bank account only are need it for give me money and not for another thing. Include i have my card whitouth the cvv numbers i earase it because i am too paranoid. I know that risk i take was performed by me but i am worry about. What happen if some one hack me and do something i like a software who alert me about downloads i dont make by me like kaspersky who says "Download blocked by...Kaspersky" Web cam use try blcoked by" something who protectsme about that things what i do not do and i can see if i really do that.

I am gammer and my pc not are 7 wonder (A good computer) but let me play everything i want.

I am atracted about spyshelter but for me is very expensive and i think i never can buy it. I do not know if someone have here a licence who give me or sell me. Maybe this will be a good combo whith emsi.
I do not know if comodo + emsi have perfomance issues. I use it whith comodo proactive protection enabled and not see unnecesary popups.
About kaspersky i dont think i am very secure because ihave to allow too many things in TAM mode and I think kaspersky Whotouth TAM are useless and very simple product. ¿Am i wrong?
I think bullguard are very simple and now buggy and the thing about their fw is like binisoft are for me a lie and a escuse for a buggy program and lazzy developers
And about avast for me is buggy i like their features but if no one works is usseles.
Bitdefender for me is a litle expensive but they have promos and i do not know if are good products or only bloatware.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Well if youre worrying about downloads, you can allways try voodooshield and lockdown your system. anything you run or download is scanned throught 65 engines

Pretty much if you have any antivirus + antimalware and you run scans occasionally you dont have to be paranoid about getting hacked

comodo firewall + system lockers are taking care only if your antivirus let something throught

Goodluck getting infected with comodo firewall + kaspersky

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Simple, just dun screenshot a banking page. User awareness and education take precedence over antivirus performance.
well you wont get 'hacked' if you dont do anything shady in internet .common sense with not clicking every ad or opening every email that seems fishy just keeps avoiding from adware . you have to mess up really bad to get ransomware etc on your pc

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.