Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Microsoft implemented a new security feature in Windows 10's November update build that added an option to the operating system to block the loading of untrusted fonts.

The use of fonts has always been problematic in the Windows operating system from a security point of view as bugs in font-handling code could give attackers high-level privileges.

Bulletins such as MS15-078 indicate that the Windows font system is targeted regularly, and one way to mitigate the impact of these attacks was the new untrusted font blocking security feature built-into Windows 10.

I have mentioned the feature when I reviewed the new version of Microsoft EMET, as it shipped with support for it, but it has been likely missed by at least some users, hence this new article.
font-mitigation-options-768x457.jpg

Article

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Wow interesting . So since November this feature isn't enable yet? I have to enable it manually?

I also have emet 5.5 but I can't use it so I left recommend settings.
So to enable this feature I can just click a button without risk of messing up? Thank you very much

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Almost missed out on this one. Thanks for the share! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.