Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul123

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
Whilst I have ublock and other plugins in my browser to stop ads I wondered if there's anything around that can block ads in Windows apps. A few years ago I used to use Admuncher which did it in things like MSN Messenger and other programs like this as well as the browser.

The reason I ask is I like to use TuneIn radio, but they insisted on putting a really intrusive ad windows in the app on Windows 10. I have a premier account with them so I dont get ads on my iTouch TuneIn radio, (though a couple of years ago they did try it, but got rid of it when their review star rating plummeted from 5 to 1 because of it, and they eventually removed them for premier users).

Admuncher is now free (it used to be paid subscription), but its been around quite a while so I wondered if there was anything better around. I'm not even sure it would run with Windows 10.

What would be really good is if there's an app that lets you filter out specific stuff, like uBlock does with its selector option.

Last edited:

Whilst I have ublock and other plugins in my browser to stop ads I wondered if there's anything around that can block ads in Windows apps. A few years ago I used to use Admuncher which did it in things like MSN Messenger and other programs like this as well as the browser.

The reason I ask is I like to use TuneIn radio, but they insisted on putting a really intrusive ad windows in the app on Windows 10. I have a premier account with them so I dont get ads on my iTouch TuneIn radio, (though a couple of years ago they did try it, but got rid of it when their review star rating plummeted from 5 to 1 because of it, and they eventually removed them for premier users).

Admuncher is now free (it used to be paid subscription), but its been around quite a while so I wondered if there was anything better around. I'm not even sure it would run with Windows 10.

What would be really good is if there's an app that lets you filter out specific stuff, like uBlock does with its selector option.

Settings > Privacy > General

Search online for how to disable advertising in Windows

There is a Microsoft online console to turn off ads in Microsoft browser

Paul123

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
If you're an Premium customer, you should not get Ads in a service you pay for.

I would contact TuneIn Support Team.

i did ask them, but apparently it doesn't apply to the Windows 10 app, just the IoS version. I dont mind ads in a free product, but it annoys me in a paid service, and in this case its been done in a very irritating way and the adverts themselves are very dubious (things like I made $1M dollars at home just..blah blah etc).

You'd think they'd have learnt from their Apple store experience (where their rating plummeted until they removed them). I'd hoped they would encounter the same rating drop with Windows 10 users because of this, but their rating seems ok. I guess Windows 10 users are more willing to put up with things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 2913

aragornnnn

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 18, 2016
You can add it in the "Filtered Apps" section off Adguard but you have to enable WFP driver to make it "work" (i think)

xziVPGy.jpg

Paul123

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
I think there is a way to block ads in Windows Apps using Adguard.

I'd check their support forum.
I'll have a look, thanks.
You can add it in the "Filtered Apps" section off Adguard but you have to enable WFP driver to make it "work" (i think)

xziVPGy.jpg
Thanks, I'll give it a try. I hadnt realised AdGuard was more than just a browser adblocker, its useful to know

Technozz

Level 2
Verified
Jul 24, 2015

xziVPGy.jpg
I have using adguard with custom filter list for months ago and success, this is my screenshot
y3m6D0X83H53kj46TJWEjURx6QQDPry1dKDcknQGLEWPYU6Mxi8SIbEXWmRBxeJyPLC1L7xN5vAqxbDa2Xd3RK86UgvJhZB3xDOxftmgKQDpRsy12B_-9M_lBgAcWLTkz6mxpIyrasoHhxxqv83VZQb1mPmMgp_jDjZzjyilAiAlvk
y3mqkzUlBJUYe6SVhm5ytJaA-94Ir-KOC0R2aH82wAuOGIGNQF3CAnrzkMm0VwLLrFqIg2YqcXBRfBUOP54KgYUG7ENYXut_15dCfcyHKjdUIoDmJ_n_AI9srb81oVNg4vAKmpdrjqPLOTB3vsLH407BIwbnIwWxQLl599ckQpcctI
y3mkJnJTTcglPfTPCeXjqNTqn7EFzIar6uDKDwylad2ph_E_5nGpY2TImX7vJQsHSSj-mjxEGhTP2Q-PlJwRJ4mOTx6S0QAyJILJfaXb8c5kAkEJGyNlltbtgEJLQxwjHwNyEtBy211Kvfd0iY9zJLmS_qdMhmR5jzuYn9YEPH7MT8
y3mfkxrWU1U_t66vYYn6AMWV964rrPli7okrAm11fD4SbukdsB36stJvqKBMNFGEC--Rb1iNtyMa4VoJLeidD8xqjAba8SMptKCqMZvLAgyyUJrz4_NzpjmadXuD1hHNZV_F1n-yhy_mTSPuBRnjyt2t5Cl2rMw1FXn14db0HPAXjc
y3mhKgKSB6d5IeMo0EfdBffoUMgrwFaRlbFyOf-2tbIIFJ6tV-Dx6kbH2QxlamCNo2Bue7GmJbtlMLO0wCJ71kz8S44zi7dmCxSbvJfiP_MQOUsBXipPR5t9FMxJQIbXM4W7D2DvK4hTp-9w1mIfH1tcU-uZVQWbt5v4boiKRwrayk

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Paul123

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
Did you purchase from the Apple App Store via in-app purchase at the time?

TuneIn Radio has 3 tiers; Free, Pro (one-time) and Premium (subscription)
Why isn't TuneIn Premium available ...
Difference between the 3 tiers and 2 apps.
What is the difference between Pro, Prem...

For more help, please visit TuneIn | Portal

Thanks, but they specifically say they dont support an ad free version in Windows 10 on their website
I don’t like the ads on my TuneIn Radio ...

They do at least apologise on the page:D and so they should:mad: They probably think with all the Ads Microsoft are apparently inundating Windows Home users with, they won't mind another one:confused:.

Last edited:
U

uncle bill

I'm not sure if it can be of help in your case but you could try and let me know if you want. I'm the author of an absolutely free software that do web filtering and works with many winstore apps. It can be downloaded at www.urlfilterservice.net. To tell you all and be honest: this is just an hobby to me so don't expect too much..

Paul123

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
I'm not sure if it can be of help in your case but you could try and let me know if you want. I'm the author of an absolutely free software that do web filtering and works with many winstore apps. It can be downloaded at www.urlfilterservice.net. To tell you all and be honest: this is just an hobby to me so don't expect too much..
Thanks, I'll have a look:). But not sure if its worth bothering too much with this issue though, as its not major, just a bit annoying. hopefully enough people will complain (like they did on the Apple store) and they'll remove it for premium users (or at least make the adverts less conspicuous - flashing ads:mad: really irritate me, you just cant unotice them).

Paul123

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
After some research I found putting the following in my hosts file, removed the majority of the ads in TuneIn radio:
0.0.0.0 web.adblade.com
0.0.0.0 claimprizes.mobi

Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out the flashing one that pretends to be a mailbox (for the extremely gullible. it seems to be connected to the claimprizes scam - - you have won an iPad, we need a deposit (sure)!), but at least it means 9 times out of 10 there's no advert now in TuneIn

That'll do till they (hopefully) get around to removing ads for premium users. Why they allow dubious adverts like the claimprize one is anyone's guess

Thanks to everyone for their comments:)

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Make a complaint about their Advertising platform, and see what they say?

It's just business for them, making a profit and an increased user database.

Reactions: uncle bill

Paul123

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
Make a complaint about their Advertising platform, and see what they say?

It's just business for them, making a profit and an increased user database.
Looking in the settings XML file for TuneIn there is a setting 'DisableAdsNextLaunch' which is set to false. Unfortunately, even if I set this to true it gets set to false again next time I open it. But it means there is a setting for it. Making the file read-only results in the file being deleted by the app, so dont do that.

However, like you said they probably will keep the ads for revenue, they didn't get the outcry from Windows 10 users that they got from IoS users, so theres no reason for them to change their policy. I guess Apple users are a fussy lot;);)

Last edited:
Reactions: uncle bill

Paul123

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
Think the flashing mailbox advert might be eliminated by also adding:
0.0.0.0 loyaltyclaims.club
In your hosts file. Not 100% certain, as the adverts are random, but haven't seen any adverts for a while now in TuneIn

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.