Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
"I was suprised to find out that both Google and Facebook were still tracking me after I installed “Ad Block Plus” with the “EasyPrivacy” subscription."

"Ghostery to the rescue
What I did is that I installed Ghostery. It is another tool that promises to block tracking efforts. Make sure you configure it correctly:

1. Options – General – Sharing options – Disable GhostRank
  2. Options – General – Blocking Options – Trackers – Select all
  3. Options – General – Blocking Options – Cookies – Select all
  4. Options – Advanced – Display Options – Select none
  5. Options – Advanced - Performance Options – Select all"

More here:
http://www.leaseweblabs.com/2014/02/blocking-google-facebook-using-ad-block-plus-ghostery/

Last edited:

Myna

Level 10
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
I've been using Ghostery for quite some time now. Its like my basic need when it comes to browsing.
I've marked 'select all' for everything. And if I have to let something loose, I do it manually from the ghostery icon.
I use one more addon.... Self-Destructing Cookies. You might want to try that as well, if you haven't.

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I tried "ghostery" but the damn thing slowed me down!;)

Reactions: Infrared

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
I see. If u didn't tried Disconnect, then try it & tell me results . thnx :D
there is a addon for firefox called " Google Disconnect". It blocks mostly google trackers then others addons as i saw user reviews but it also have bugs like it blocks recaptcha, so i won't recommend you.

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I'll give it a shot!

Reactions: Infrared

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Ghostery is my friend, and Self-Destructing Cookies is my ex(is)tension(tial) friend with a wild spirit! I keep my eyeo_O on Ghostery to make sure "Select All" settings are checked & re-checked. Are there gremlins or something else that slips by unseen to undo this? Outside the sandbox I let Self-Destructing Cookies detonate every crumbly cookie it finds, but while browsing inside with Sandboxie it takes a siesta thus avoiding overkill seeing as cookies get deleted along with everything else in the sandbox at session's end!:)
Thanks for listing your settings venustus! Reading them prompted me to get back under the Ghostery hood to mark "Cookies – Select all"!:D

Last edited:

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
i just lurking in wilder forums & notice that someone said ghostery sell data to ads company? thnx :D

"Ghostery does not make a secret of their business model":
"…it’s is made by an advertising company called Evidon … it is a Web tracking blocker that actually helps the ad industry"

"Hey everyone. This is Adam from Ghostery.
Ghostery is indeed owned by Evidon - formerly called Better Advertising, which is why Hungry Man probably couldn't find the info he was looking for. BA changed its name because, as he pointed out, we sounded like an ad company when our mission is actually to make advertising better by providing privacy solutions. Ghostery keeps its code open for public viewing (and soon it will be open-source), so if anyone is curious they can look. The only info the extension collects is anonymous data that are "donated" via an opt-in feature called GhostRank. This is how we pay for development costs.

Finally, Ghostery is both a privacy tool as well as an educational tool. Our core philosophy is that people should be informed about what's happening behind the scenes on the sites they visit, and also that they should be able to control this tracking. All of the extensions mentioned above work well, and can be used in conjunction with Ghostery or not depending on individual preferences. Each has their strengths and weaknesses - Ghostery's are blocking tracking and providing transparency/education into what's going on in the "invisible web."

Read this:
https://purplebox.ghostery.com/post/1016022414

Myna

Level 10
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
Disconnect Block 2,000 + tracking sites, more then ghostery. thnx :D
Its not like I'm saying Disconnect is inferior. Its good. Maybe better than ghostery (in blocking). But Ghostery has been doing the job fine for me. The one thing that I personally find more helpful in ghostery is... Its easier to select an individual tracker to let in to your system. Sometimes I have to do that.
Disconnect is good as long as you have to block all the trackers. But if you have to let a few come in, that's a pain.

And if for some reason, some trackers slips in, I got the big gun too "Self-Destructing Cookies" lol.... :D

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Its not like I'm saying Disconnect is inferior. Its good. Maybe better than ghostery (in blocking). But Ghostery has been doing the job fine for me. The one thing that I personally find more helpful in ghostery is... Its easier to select an individual tracker to let in to your system. Sometimes I have to do that.
Disconnect is good as long as you have to block all the trackers. But if you have to let a few come in, that's a pain.

And if for some reason, some trackers slips in, I got the big gun too "Self-Destructing Cookies" lol.... :D

I like to block all the trackers & if i face any problems with loading my page ( which i never faced ) coz disconnect blocking some essential trackers then il'l have the addon " Incognito This" :D & i already set my browser to delete all cookies after i close my browser . Also have "click & clean" & vanilla cookie manager & adblock with 16 filters included it. talking about chrome addons. thnx :D

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I like to block all the trackers & if i face any problems with loading my page ( which i never faced ) coz disconnect blocking some essential trackers then il'l have the addon " Incognito This" :D & i already set my browser to delete all cookies after i close my browser . Also have "click & clean" & vanilla cookie manager & adblock with 16 filters included it. talking about chrome addons. thnx :D
With this many filters I'm surprised you're loading the website at all!!:p
I have found that ghostery does break certain websites, for example comments not loading and some video content not playing.

Myna

Level 10
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
Maybe you don't enter a lot of online contests. That's why you CAN block all the trackers/cookies. :D
Btw aren't you just over flooding your browser !!! lol.... :D
I have found that ghostery does break certain websites, for example comments not loading and some video content not playing.
Don't know about the comment thing, but the video is blocked cuz ghostery blocked the youtube tracker. You can enable it from the ghostery icon. :)

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
hehe, i added many filters in adblock coz i surf random sites & found chinese, russian, german & other language ads which is really annoying. so after adding filters, it blocks well XD Oh i see. I using disconnect from many months & never saw it's break any page. Don't sure about others.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Maybe you don't enter a lot of online contests. That's why you CAN block all the trackers/cookies. :D

My browser running fine brah & not slowing down anything :D Just too paranoid & want maximum security ;)

Myna

Level 10
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
My browser running fine brah & not slowing down anything :D Just too paranoid & want maximum security ;)
If all those heavy loads aren't hampering your browsing experience, it great for you. Its always good to have max security. :)

And now that you mentioned it, ghostery blocked one tracker too :p

Reactions: Venustus

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012

Don't know about the comment thing, but the video is blocked cuz ghostery blocked the youtube tracker. You can enable it from the ghostery icon. :)

Here's an example of it blocking comments on a website I visit regularly:
lt-zexyppxuyqxmpchodptu.jpg

But as you can see "ghostery" does give you the option (via the little arrows) to reload the page and allow the comments if you want:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.