"Blocking Google and Facebook using Ad Block Plus and Ghostery"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SifhX

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2014
I have both Ghostery and AD-Block plus , I use them mostly because some web pages are so much crowded of ads that its horrible :p
on other way I hope it blocks malicious ads.

Reactions: Koroke San
I

illumination

Sir, not everyone in this world is a fan of firefox like you , they use random web browser coz everyone have different taste & noscript is for firefox only. what if i use only chrome & not firefox? then no noscript for me. Noscript also annoys me & blocks too much on some websites which makes the page not works properly so i need to enable the whole page or enable mostly "scripts & cookies" to load that page successfully. Cookies won't track me, my browser cleaned every cookies before i closed it or i can use " securely close browser " in click & clean also have vanilla cookie manager and i use browser mostly in incognito mode. About tracking i use, disconnect in chrome. If Nocript & self destruction cookies are so good then everyone in this world will use this 2 addons only for privacy & won't download millions times other addons. & post thousands of nice reviews about other addons comments. many peoples wants to try new addons :D

Also Firefox is buggy & freezes & take high cpu usage. Chrome is better then firefox for me :)

Most people can not either "properly use noscript" or do not want the inconvenience themselves with having to mess with it so much. It is not a matter of not working. it was just a suggestion, to those that have issues with tracking. Using google chrome, as you stated, you will not find extensions that do as good a job as you will find with firefox, it is why i prefer it.

Cleaning the cookies after your browsing session will not stop tracking, the cookies need to be cleared as soon as you leave the site, or it will indeed collect information.

It is your choice what to use for your web adventures, i only made an observation, and responded.

You want true privacy on the internet, i can make it simple for you, privacy is based 100% on what you divulge..

Myna

Level 10
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
Koroke San give self destructing cookies a try (if you haven't) Trust us, you'll just LOVE it. It clears the cookies the moment you close the tab and sometimes you don't even have to close the tab. It deletes the cookies where it feels necessary.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Most people can not either "properly use noscript" or do not want the inconvenience themselves with having to mess with it so much. It is not a matter of not working. it was just a suggestion, to those that have issues with tracking. Using google chrome, as you stated, you will not find extensions that do as good a job as you will find with firefox, it is why i prefer it.

Cleaning the cookies after your browsing session will not stop tracking, the cookies need to be cleared as soon as you leave the site, or it will indeed collect information.

It is your choice what to use for your web adventures, i only made an observation, and responded.

You want true privacy on the internet, i can make it simple for you, privacy is based 100% on what you divulge..

When u r on internet, how much u try, u can't 100% sure about ur privacy. As that guy Grelos suggest me to use HTTP Switchboard addon for chrome. I saw comments, most peoples posted it works better then noscript . I tried it & it's blocks more then noscript but i don't want to clicking every time to allow in every single page which is time wasting.

And no, Chrome also have great extensions & mostly which extension i use in firefox , same i use in chrome. Only noscript & googleprivacy is lacking in chrome IMAO & now chrome have it's HTTP Switchboard addon. I searched google & saw many peoples reviews that firefox hangs & freezes mostly when they opens too many tabs, same here for me. for u it'll work good as u prefer. and i know that cookies will collect information that's why i hit "clear unwanted cookies " in vanilla cookie manager before closing the website.

There is nothing called " true privacy" in internet, u just know it. addons won't save u. and about my web adventures u better don't ask :D

Last edited:

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Koroke San give self destructing cookies a try (if you haven't) Trust us, you'll just LOVE it. It clears the cookies the moment you close the tab and sometimes you don't even have to close the tab. It deletes the cookies where it feels necessary.

Sir, i tested that addon & i'm not follow what other use. I prefer my choice. when i open a website it loads cookies & before closing tab, i just click " clear unwanted cookies" in vanilla cookie manager, it's so simple. And i already said here, i use chrome so there is no "Self destructing cookies". Think twice before u post comment :D

Myna

Level 10
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
After this discussion, I've tested both Disconnect and Ghostery extensively on different webpages. And my latest find is, Disconnect is better than Ghostery. Even though both works well, webpages load faster when I use Disconnect. Thanks Koroke San. :)

Reactions: Koroke San

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
After this discussion, I've tested both Disconnect and Ghostery extensively on different webpages. And my latest find is, Disconnect is better than Ghostery. Even though both works well, webpages load faster when I use Disconnect. Thanks Koroke San. :)

U r welcome.

tucfawa

Level 1
Verified
Feb 17, 2014
This addon blocks too much & i don't like too much clicking on it every time to allow everything to load page successfully. I'm not so "extreme" paranoid. thnx :D

It can be used in "allow-all/block-exceptionally" mode (see https://github.com/gorhill/httpswit...iki-the-allow-allblock-exceptionally-approach), and you are still protected from a of of nuisance.

This was true in 2009. The Chrome add-on I am using reliably block javascript (inline or external).

Last edited by a moderator:

Myna

Level 10
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
Found this on the link provided by bo.elam
Eight months later, Chrome extensions are here but NoScript is not among them yet, and people are asking why. The reason is very simple: Chrome is still lacking the required infrastructure for selective script disablement and object blocking.

Maybe Google plans to implement the missing stuff later, maybe they’re still trying to figure out whether it can be done without enabling effective ad blocking, but in the meanwhile the pale AdBlock and FlashBlock imitations which have been hacked together by overwhelming popular demand, are forced to use a very fragile CSS-based hiding approach, ridiculously easy to circumvent
Now that we still don't have Noscript for chrome, I wonder, has anything changed ??? If so, then why we still don't have Noscript for chrome !!!

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
I normally prefer FF-based browsers, Pale Moon 64-bit in this case. I tried Ghostery, it's good, but indeed slowed me down a bit. I will try Disconnect too. AdBlock Plus is excellent, I use it to speed up browsing and remove unwanted elements (with the Element Hiding Helper) but your browser's memory usage and startup time will increase a lot. And mostly for nothing: if you have ABP and EasyList or any other filter, just go to your Filter Preferences and sort the block list by the hits each entry got. You will see that most of the list never got a single hit. So what I do is install ABP and the list(s) of my choice, browse my usual websites plus a few more, and then I go to the filter preferences, copy all entries that have at least one hit, and paste them all into a custom filter. Then I delete the main filter and use only the custom filter with the much smaller list of items that are actually working. This works very well and can be even more powerful coupled with a tool like Ghostery or Disconnect.

tucfawa

Level 1
Verified
Feb 17, 2014
Found this on the link provided by bo.elam

Now that we still don't have Noscript for chrome, I wonder, has anything changed ??? If so, then why we still don't have Noscript for chrome !!!

The post is outdated, as I mentioned above. Chromium has proper API to block javascript since Chrome 17 (see http://developer.chrome.com/extensions/webRequest#). It is used in the blocker I mentioned above and it works reliably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.