Serious Discussion Blocking Mounted Volume Access

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I'm looking for suggestions on how I can block access to a mounted cloud storage volume except for what I allow; in this case rclone.exe and keepass. I wouldn't use a mounted volume at all, but it's easier for keepass having my database remote and my keyfile locally. Any ideas on how to restrict access?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
One way to restrict access to a mounted cloud storage volume is by using file system permissions. You can set permissions to restrict access to the mounted volume, allowing only specific users or applications to access it.

Here's how you can do it:
1. Identify the path where the mounted volume is located.
2. Set the appropriate file system permission, such as read-only or deny access, for the users or applications you want to block.
3. Ensure that rclone.exe and keepass are granted the necessary permissions to access the mounted volume.

By applying these restrictions, you can prevent unauthorized access to the mounted volume while allowing only the desired applications to interact with it.

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
That's the trouble; there is no blanket deny permission to which I can make exclusions. And, in case I were to get infected with some type of malware, the exe I need to block might be on my system yet.

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Choose another cloud storage with proper access controls.

And the award for the most unhelpful comment ever in the history of any and all forums and all googles and internets goes to... @Victor M! Congrats. Way to not add anything of value to this conversation!

Any cloud storage provider that is going to act as a remote keepass database storage, if that storage is going to be self-hosted, is going to need to be mounted. It doesn't matter if it's pcloud, Mega, tresorit, icedrive, box, etc., they all need to be mounted so that keepass can access the database file. The means by which the mount is created is irelevant. Both rclone or a dedicated service app result in the same mount, that would need the same restrictions.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.