Request Blocking Option

I

illumination

Thread author
After viewing available options to strengthen privacy, especially those of unwanted contact and began to wonder if it was possible to implement a "Block" option such as Facebook has to block unwanted contact from other users, where it blocks any and all interaction. I do believe an option as such, would lower arguments and problems in the forum by quite a margin, removing the need for Bans and other issues that stem from heated discussions, also stops harassment from taking place out in the open and behind closed doors.

This of course would not include the ability to block staff ... :)

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
What does that function? Remove that users posts from threads? :eek:
It hides those users posts and threads but only for the user that enables it. It's still viewable for anyone else.

I believe what @illumination is perhaps after but please correct me if I'm wrong, is an option where for example a spammer or a bully etc and no staff around and if a certain amount of users report, that specific member and actions gets blocked until the staff can investigate. More then fair enough IMO but it been suggested before if I recall correct.

Last edited:
I

illumination

Thread author
You can always "Ignore" the member, the button/option can be found on a member's profile page, next to "Follow" button
This does not stop the ignored user from harassing you, as they can still post on your profile and other posts, while you may not be able to see it signed in, it is very much still doable. @upnorth is correct, this option is to stop bullying/harassment as staff can not always be on, and sometimes staff is placed into awkward positions trying to mediate an issue, this option would resolve the need for any of it much as it does for Facebook. If a user where to use this option, it will stop correspondence between the 2 users, and effect no one else.

I

illumination

Thread author
Very, very bad idea. :(
This is no safe-space and should never become one.
Safety should always be applied, especially here, this is after all a security advising forum, that teaches about security and privacy.

Oh no, come on! :(
What is wrong with people... :cry:
Why would you respond this way to stopping bullying and harassment?

Or you ignore it until they are online...
The whole point of this suggestion is to take extra load off of staff, while providing a way for users to protect themselves.

Reactions: frogboy and slash/

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
This is a good idea. I don't think it creates a "safe space", but rather it creates a personalized safe space that prevents individual harassment and bullying. Hiding someone's threads/posts is much different than preventing a person from contacting you.

The current privacy options are two extremes; "only people you follow" to contact you, or allow everyone to contact you. The former becomes a hassle since you'd have to effectively create a "whitelist" of members that you want to contact you, by following all of them.

Reactions: RoboMan

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
I'm not against blocking personal messages.
Safety should always be applied, especially here, this is after all a security advising forum, that teaches about security and privacy.
This is not the correct way of handling such issues. Although this forum is mainly about security, it is just as much about responsibility.
Why would you respond this way to stopping bullying and harassment?
(It was in response to hearing about being able to block user posts - which is what I thought you wanted until I heard it is already possible)
Because it is identical to the idea of implementing "safe-spaces" on campus. It enables people to block everyone who disagrees with them. All possibility to ever change your perspective is nullified if you do so. Not having this mechanic is a way of protecting them from themselves. It is sometimes the responsible way to let them sort it out themselves.
It may stop bullying and harassment, but on the other hand they don't learn from any of this. And you do learn from conflicts very much. You develop character and social-skills. Just look at SJW or LGBT-people that oppress everyone because they think they are oppressed. They can't handle conflicts and then escalate them until they put new laws are in place!
Furthermore, you won't be able to follow and have discussions if all you see is one side.
The whole point of this suggestion is to take extra load off of staff, while providing a way for users to protect themselves.
I'm sure they are doing a good job. Let them do it. Unless they are hopelessly under-staffed. :)
But, yes, I am pro-blocking if it comes to personal messages. And user should be able to decide themselves in this case.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
@Yellowing I know where you're coming from, but I don't think this is the space that a person needs to grow and gain perspective, nor do I think that should be a goal for the forum. Character building should be done on a personal level, not on an internet forum. Even reddit, the supposed cornerstone of internet free speech, has a "hide" button on every thread and post.

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
@root/ Yea, that's pretty sad that reddit does that. (I assume they did that ironically though)
If it isn't for character building, which should never be stifled, then it is for proper discurs. As I said: People blocking others are unable to follow anything because they don't know if there was a post by someone they blocked that altered the context in a sense that the outcome of the thread is in opposition to what they actually see.
EDIT: Even though this isn't a scientific forum, we should still strive to follow scientific intercourse.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
@root/ Yea, that's pretty sad that reddit does that. (I assume they did that ironically though)
If it isn't for character building, which should never be stifled, then it is for proper discurs. As I said: People blocking others are unable to follow anything because they don't know if there was a post by someone they blocked that altered the context in a sense that the outcome of the thread is in opposition to what they actually see.
EDIT: Even though this isn't a scientific forum, we should still strive to follow scientific intercourse.

I think you are right here overall but at the same time you are regularly a bitter pill, members will not want to ignore other members if left with a viable alternative, if you yourself leave no room for discussion you can't be surprised by indifference, you are obviously very bright, know when you're lucky, you might be here in 10 years and highly revered, I hope you are.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
+1 on this. I have suggested it to @Jack via PM not so long ago. Ignore button just hides everything from that user from you, but everyone still can see if he's harrassing you. Or even when he's replying to your comments in a thread, you can't even refute and most of the times it's just like you have no arguments to debate so you just skip it.

Block option is a good addition in my opinion.

Attachments

• 2018-07-18 20_55_45-About blocking a user _ MalwareTips Forums.png
    2018-07-18 20_55_45-About blocking a user _ MalwareTips Forums.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 339

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.