Blog 1Password: Should I protect my 1Password account with two-factor authentication?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
You’ve probably heard or read the advice: ‘Turn on two-factor authentication (2FA) everywhere it’s offered.’ After all, it’s a great way to add an extra layer of protection to your online accounts.

But should that include your 1Password account?

The short answer is no, it’s not necessary. But there’s also no harm in enabling 2FA if you have a special set of circumstances, or think it will give you a little more peace of mind. To explain why, we need to unpack what 2FA does, and how your data is protected by 1Password’s security model.
Why you don’t need to protect your 1Password account with 2FA

Let’s run through some (highly unlikely) scenarios, and how your data would stay secure - even if you didn’t have 2FA enabled on your 1Password account.

Scenario 1: A criminal manages to obtain an encrypted copy of your data from our servers.

All of your saved items are encrypted, which means the criminal would only have access to scrambled gibberish. The data would be useless because they wouldn’t have access to both your account password and Secret Key, which aren’t stored on our servers.

Scenario 2: A criminal guesses your account password.

They wouldn’t be able to sign in to your account from a new device without your Secret Key. That piece of information is only stored on your devices (so you don’t have to type it in every time you unlock 1Password) and your printable Emergency Kit.

Scenario 3: A criminal steals one of your devices.

In this situation, a criminal likely won’t waste time trying to unlock your device and guess your 1Password account password. Instead, they’ll use a different method to extract an encrypted copy of your 1Password data. (This local copy is how you can access your passwords without an internet connection.)

They would then have to unscramble the encrypted data, which would require both your account password and Secret Key. The latter might be stored on your device, but the former isn’t.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
My 1password account froze, as it is a family account, my brother did not renew the license, good thing it was a test account, it was not my main PM, even more I can say it is an excellent password manager.👍
I have a 1Password family account, I am the admin. My brother uses it with me. Is it easy to enable 2FA for my 1Password account?

Reactions: piquiteco

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
I have a 1Password family account, I am the admin. My brother uses it with me. Is it easy to enable 2FA for my 1Password account?
Yes, it is super easy, you login to your account 1Password — Password Manager for Teams, Businesses, and Families then on the right side of your profile right below click on My Profile and then go to More Options -> Click on the three dots to expand and then go to Manage two-factor authentication and then choose Authenticator Application or Security Key as 2FA in your account or if you prefer when logged into your account go to this URL 2FA 1Password which will take you straight to the 2FA settings. All 1passsword URLS passed here are official. I will leave some screenshots in the spoiler below to confirm the authenticity and to make it easier to explain to you. Good luck! Any questions leave a comment here, as far as possible I will answer. ;)
1680505065684.png
1680505149737.png

1680503715946.png
1680503862710.png
1680503928126.png

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Yes, it is super easy, you login to your account 1Password — Password Manager for Teams, Businesses, and Families then on the right side of your profile right below click on My Profile and then go to More Options -> Click on the three dots to expand and then go to Manage two-factor authentication and then choose Authenticator Application or Security Key as 2FA in your account or if you prefer when logged into your account go to this URL 2FA 1Password which will take you straight to the 2FA settings. All 1passsword URLS passed here are official. I will leave some screenshots in the spoiler below to confirm the authenticity and to make it easier to explain to you. Good luck! Any questions leave a comment here, as far as possible I will answer. ;)
Thanks a lot, dear @piquiteco Can you send you a direct message as well to ask a brief question on 1Password please?
I used MS authenticator instead of Google authenticator. It has a backup and I like that fact.
In this part below, should click on the right section?

1680556106620.png

Then my brother has to ask me my MS authenticator code when he used 1Password at is phone and PC?

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Q: I also noticed that possibly I have to contact 1Password team in order to change my account email, is that correct?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.