Cybercrime Bluetooth Locks

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015

Quote : " One of Amazon's top-selling electronic gun safes contains a critical vulnerability that allows it to be opened by virtually anyone, even when they don't know the password.

The Vaultek VT20i handgun safe, ranked fourth in Amazon's gun safes and cabinets category, allows owners to electronically open the door using a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone app. The remote unlock feature is supposed to work only when someone knows the four- to eight-digit personal identification number used to lock the device. But it turns out that this PIN safeguard can be bypassed using a standard computer and a small amount of programming know-how. "

Issues with Bluetooth locks ain't new news as even a year ago it was reported. Researcher finds huge security flaws in Bluetooth locks

Here's another nasty thing that can hit bluetooth users.

Even I can appreciate a smooth and fast bluetooth connection that automatically connects with my car stereo and the music just starts play. But open my door at home or elsewhere or a gun safe? Way too skittish IMO. Btw did Bluetooth 5 that was introduced about a year ago ( scroll down to Similar Threads ) help solve this issue or is it even worse nowdays? What's your thoughts?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.