Blur (Formally DoNotTrackMe by Abine)

What's your favourite feature of Blur Free (Formally DNTMe)?

• Tracker Blocking

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Masked Emails

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Accounts (Password Management)

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Landing Page: https://dnt.abine.com
Blur: Protect your passwords, payments, and privacy

Download from Chrome Web Store:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/blur-formerly-donottrackm/epanfjkfahimkgomnigadpkobaefekcd

Better than a password manager: Blur makes it easy to keep track of and secure all your personal information online.

What's in the Free version?
  • Password management
  • Masked emails
  • Private browsing with tracking protection

Compare between Free and Premium (subscription) - https://dnt.abine.com/#premiumreg
upload_2014-11-9_15-10-46.png

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you for the share, Huracan.
Is Blur (formerly DNTM) among your choices of preferred extensions?
A merged plug-in is always better than multiple. :)
NullPointerException, do you find multi-functional extensions to be light on system resources too?o_O

Is their Password Management good and strong as Lastpass?
If so, I would remove Lastpass + Ghostery

Edit: Gave it a try, decided to remain w/Lastpass and Ghostery :)
This brought further thoughts:confused: to the forefront of my mind!;):p
LastPass with Ghostery have worked well together for me; and yet,
staff member, @Umbra Polaris , pointed out on a separate occasion (..if I remember correctly..) how similar funtioning extensions which may look quite different might not be needed when using just one of them. IE: Such as using only (1), NoScript or Ghostery.
..though I'll confess to having used both at once.:oops: ;):D

Last edited:

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014

NullPointerException, do you find multi-functional extensions to be light on system resources too?o_O

staff member, @Umbra Polaris , pointed out on a separate occasion (..if I remember correctly..) how similar funtioning extensions which may look quite different might not be needed when using just one of them. IE: Such as using only (1), NoScript or Ghostery.
We could delete unwanted (and similar) extensions and use DNTM instead...but now it has gone "Premium", I'll doubt i'll ever you use. I just hate limited "free" software.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
We could delete unwanted (and similar) extensions and use DNTM instead...but now it has gone "Premium", I'll doubt i'll ever you use. I just hate limited "free" software.
Yes, I've noticed their hard sell to go premium. I did however add the free extension under the new name blur (shorter and simpler was what they probably wished for) onto Firefox this morning. So far is seems identical as it did in it's former guise, DNTM.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

I was a previous user of MaskMe extension for Chrome, but stopped using it after a few months - this was about 1.5/2 years ago. So the MaskMe function is nothing new.
Here's the thread from 2012/2013: http://malwaretips.com/threads/mask...e-credit-cards-and-encrypted-passwords.12047/

But to answer your question about DoNotTrackMe (aka Blur), no I do not use any Anti-Tracking or Tracking Blocking software in my web browser. Only AdBlock and LastPass.

Kent

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 4, 2013

Ghostery is better alternative than Blur;as it blocks more.............

PrivacyAdvocate

Nov 23, 2014
...but now it has gone "Premium", I'll doubt i'll ever you use. I just hate limited "free" software.

I'd rather a company make their revenue transparently by selling a premium version than behind the scenes by harvesting data and selling it to ad companies (as Ghostery does), with obnoxious ads, or worse. With the exception of open source software there's very little *truly* free commercial software that's worthwhile.

Abine is a significant company with many employees. They have to make money somehow. Viewed another way, it's generous of them to offer a free version alongside their paid version.

RequestPolicy is probably the most non-commercial of the free add-ons in this category and its open source. It's sort of a cross between Ghostery and NoScript and is nicely stable but, like NoScript, requires some effort to whitelist what's needed for many sites.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
I'd rather a company make their revenue transparently by selling a premium version than behind the scenes by harvesting data and selling it to ad companies (as Ghostery does), with obnoxious ads, or worse. With the exception of open source software there's very little *truly* free commercial software that's worthwhile.

Abine is a significant company with many employees. They have to make money somehow. Viewed another way, it's generous of them to offer a free version alongside their paid version.

RequestPolicy is probably the most non-commercial of the free add-ons in this category and its open source. It's sort of a cross between Ghostery and NoScript and is nicely stable but, like NoScript, requires some effort to whitelist what's needed for many sites.
But add-ons aren't what companies should rely upon.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
But add-ons aren't what companies should rely upon.
I agree. You've a good point, yet people (like us) rely on add-ons therefore companies have a better position to capitalize on the fact we grow accustomed to trusting and relying on specific quality programs, and yes, even extensions. Approaching us where our loyalties lie can sadly be as much of an advertising premium as a World Series or Monday Night Football commercial spot.
I also agree with what PrivacyAdvocate said,
"..selling a (paid) version is preferable to our data being harvested and sold".

Edit: ..and since I use blur (like @frogboy ) too, I'd also like to think it's 'not too bad',;)
..I hope!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.