Chromium Blurry image rendering in Chromium browsers

mkoundo

Level 4
Verified
Jul 21, 2017
i'm having trouble seeing any difference, but that might just be my eyes....
Both youtube vids are on 1080P.
Can you spot any differences in the images below?

pic1.png
pic2.png

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 34
Verified
Mar 16, 2019
i'm having trouble seeing any difference, but that might just be my eyes....
Both youtube vids are on 1080P.
Can you spot any differences in the images below?

Even in my PC when I put them side by side and take a screenshot the difference isn't too noticeable.
This is why I suggest to enlarge the video player/go full screen and use "Alt+Tab" method. Captured image/recorded video to compare is not going to work.
Taking images may not show it. This is why I said this above. Did you try the "Alt+Tab" method after going full screen? Focus mainly on the first music video since that's where the difference is huge in my PC.

SeriousHoax

Level 34
Verified
Mar 16, 2019
Forgot to add, I also downloaded videos from YouTube to compare and here VLC and Pot Player rendering is as same as Firefox. Both showing accurate color and details. K-Lite Codec and MPC-BE has just a slight white balancing issue but not bad as Chromium. I remember Pot Player had a white balancing issue a few years back, but they fixed that later on. VLC has always been good for me.

Ok, so the image rendering issue is universal, true for everyone but the video rendering thing varies from device to device it seems. The graphics card makes a difference in rendering probably and the output of everyone's monitor is different too of course.
But trust me the difference in my PC is worthy of me not using Chromium browsers. Worse image rendering and now worse video rendering. So, I'm gonna stick to Firefox which is already my main browser anyway.

Maybe I'll post these problems in Chrome and Edge subreddits. The devs themselves browse there so this should give the issues more exposure and hopefully something positive will happen.

SeriousHoax

Level 34
Verified
Mar 16, 2019
Update:
I have found out the culprit behind my washed out video color on YouTube and possibly other sites too on Chromium browsers.
It's AMD's graphics driver which is responsible for this. AMD are always known to be awful at making drivers for their GPUs so looks like they are still lagging behind Nvidia & Intel in this department even though they have improved over time.
Check out this Reddit thread. Here users are quite disgusted & frustrated at AMD. The post itself is 6 months old, and it was also reported to AMD engineers but yet to be fixed. This is very disappointing.
Possible fix for grey or washed out colors in YouTube videos observed by some in the 20.5.1 beta and in 20.7.1 drivers. : Amd (reddit.com)
The proposed solution on there doesn't work anymore. So it's up to AMD to fix it.
One of the user suggested that older driver version 19.8.2 fixed it for him and I can confirm that he's right. This version is problem free, but this driver is almost 2 years old.
Maybe this doesn't happen on every AMD GPU but many users reported this, so it's quite common I guess.

The image rendering problem still remains and that is not related to any drivers. It's chromium itself.
Firefox renders everything (image+video) perfectly no matter what the driver is.
Both image & video rendering issue for all Chromium browsers goes away if hardware acceleration is turned off, but it's not recommended as CPU's are more power hungry.

I'll post more updates here once AMD release a driver fixing this issue.

SeriousHoax

Level 34
Verified
Mar 16, 2019
This doesn't make sense if it's really a driver problem.
I also own AMD hardware and doesn't see any problems in Edge.
Firefox is a different browser using a different engine with different implementation of hardware acceleration. So it's not surprising. Whatever problem current AMD drivers have is not affecting Firefox in this case.
You can't know for sure if you're having this issue or not if you don't compare Firefox vs Edge. I wouldn't know there's a problem if I didn't have Firefox. But the difference is quite huge once you see it. Besides, it's possible that not every GPU is affected by this. But many other users complained and reproduced in that Reddit thread as well as I found few more in their forum. So it's obvious that there's a problem. Also like I said, I installed an older driver which doesn't have this problem.

Deletedmessiah

Level 24
Verified
Content Creator
Jan 16, 2017
Update:
I have found out the culprit behind my washed out video color on YouTube and possibly other sites too on Chromium browsers.
It's AMD's graphics driver which is responsible for this. AMD are always known to be awful at making drivers for their GPUs so looks like they are still lagging behind Nvidia & Intel in this department even though they have improved over time.
Check out this Reddit thread. Here users are quite disgusted & frustrated at AMD. The post itself is 6 months old, and it was also reported to AMD engineers but yet to be fixed. This is very disappointing.
Possible fix for grey or washed out colors in YouTube videos observed by some in the 20.5.1 beta and in 20.7.1 drivers. : Amd (reddit.com)
The proposed solution on there doesn't work anymore. So it's up to AMD to fix it.
One of the user suggested that older driver version 19.8.2 fixed it for him and I can confirm that he's right. This version is problem free, but this driver is almost 2 years old.
Maybe this doesn't happen on every AMD GPU but many users reported this, so it's quite common I guess.

The image rendering problem still remains and that is not related to any drivers. It's chromium itself.
Firefox renders everything (image+video) perfectly no matter what the driver is.
Both image & video rendering issue for all Chromium browsers goes away if hardware acceleration is turned off, but it's not recommended as CPU's are more power hungry.

I'll post more updates here once AMD release a driver fixing this issue.
Have you tried setting up Edge/Chrome to use Intel graphics instead of AMD in display settings? Maybe that can fix rendering issues.

Reactions: venustus