Open MalwareTips from your Home Screen or desktop. Follow discussions, find answers and pick up where you left off.
If you cannot find an install option, update your browser or use its bookmark option to keep MalwareTips close.
Installation is optional. Your notification settings stay under your control.
i'm having trouble seeing any difference, but that might just be my eyes....
Both youtube vids are on 1080P.
Can you spot any differences in the images below?
Taking images may not show it. This is why I said this above. Did you try the "Alt+Tab" method after going full screen? Focus mainly on the first music video since that's where the difference is huge in my PC.Even in my PC when I put them side by side and take a screenshot the difference isn't too noticeable.
This is why I suggest to enlarge the video player/go full screen and use "Alt+Tab" method. Captured image/recorded video to compare is not going to work.
Brave and FF are pretty similar, with Edge being worst.
This doesn't make sense if it's really a driver problem.Firefox renders everything (image+video) perfectly no matter what the driver is.
Firefox is a different browser using a different engine with different implementation of hardware acceleration. So it's not surprising. Whatever problem current AMD drivers have is not affecting Firefox in this case.This doesn't make sense if it's really a driver problem.
I also own AMD hardware and doesn't see any problems in Edge.
Have you tried setting up Edge/Chrome to use Intel graphics instead of AMD in display settings? Maybe that can fix rendering issues.Update:
I have found out the culprit behind my washed out video color on YouTube and possibly other sites too on Chromium browsers.
It's AMD's graphics driver which is responsible for this. AMD are always known to be awful at making drivers for their GPUs so looks like they are still lagging behind Nvidia & Intel in this department even though they have improved over time.
Check out this Reddit thread. Here users are quite disgusted & frustrated at AMD. The post itself is 6 months old, and it was also reported to AMD engineers but yet to be fixed. This is very disappointing.
Possible fix for grey or washed out colors in YouTube videos observed by some in the 20.5.1 beta and in 20.7.1 drivers. : Amd (reddit.com)
The proposed solution on there doesn't work anymore. So it's up to AMD to fix it.
One of the user suggested that older driver version 19.8.2 fixed it for him and I can confirm that he's right. This version is problem free, but this driver is almost 2 years old.
Maybe this doesn't happen on every AMD GPU but many users reported this, so it's quite common I guess.
The image rendering problem still remains and that is not related to any drivers. It's chromium itself.
Firefox renders everything (image+video) perfectly no matter what the driver is.
Both image & video rendering issue for all Chromium browsers goes away if hardware acceleration is turned off, but it's not recommended as CPU's are more power hungry.
I'll post more updates here once AMD release a driver fixing this issue.
I don't have an Intel GPU. I use an AMD APU, 3400G.Have you tried setting up Edge/Chrome to use Intel graphics instead of AMD in display settings? Maybe that can fix rendering issues.
I see.I don't have an Intel GPU. I use an AMD APU, 3400G.
Looks like you haven't read all of my comments in this thread so let me make everything clear again.Seems another case of misusing drivers and user error, you can easily setup your colour accurary in AMD Display Settings (in Radeon Software), so there's no problem with AMD drivers.
Anyone who understands half of the options will disable Custom Color and change the Pixel Format to Full RGB (or even HDR if you have it).
I have no washed out colours in neither Firefox nor Chrome, as for image "blurryness" I would call it post processing and I like it, sharp images don't always equal to better quality images, so for me is Firefox that looks inferior.
Plus being a driver problem that affects colour accuracy, the problem wouldn't be exclusive to Chrome (since is system wide), if you all read the topic in question the users also confirm this.
You cannot change colour settings for specific applications, the drivers use a global switch to tweak your monitor (not software), it affects the entire system and is entirely unrelated to Chrome.Looks like you haven't read all of my comments in this thread so let me make everything clear again.
First, why would I want to change color settings for Chromium only! There's no color issue on Firefox, no issues on games, no issues on video players, no issue on Windows itself. Everywhere colors are alright except Chromium browsers. A user shouldn't mess with color settings for Chromium only.
I also said that an older driver version 19.8.2 don't have this issue. The issue also goes away if I disable hardware acceleration. So it's 100% a driver issue. Maybe it's not happening on every AMD GPU, but it happens on many/some GPUs including mine. Anyway, this is AMD's issue not Chromium's so ignore it for this thread.
The image blurriness is absolutely 100% problematic. There's nothing to like about it. It looks way too blurry here. Sometimes I can't even properly read images where there are texts.
Like I said above, even this problem goes away if I disable hardware acceleration. If I turn that off then there's no difference between Chromium and Firefox in image rendering. Everything looks the same. So surely Chromium don't render blurry images by default/by choice. This has something to do with their hardware acceleration. This has been reproduced by everyone on this thread including you, my real life friends and many other users around the world. It's not just about sharpness. Images are losing details, making clear things unclear, degrading quality of images. This is not a pleasant experience at all. The example car image from the CNN article is a very good example. I can share more example images if required.
I will repeat once again, "Images looks normal, sharp & clear like it's meant to be if I disable hardware acceleration"
I know I can't do it for specific applications that's why I said I'm not going to change color for the sake of seeing proper color on Chrome only. Everywhere else color looks alright except Chromium browsers.You cannot change colour settings for specific applications, the drivers use a global switch to tweak your monitor (not software), it affects the entire system and is entirely unrelated to Chrome.
Chrome has no issue with the older 19.8.2 AMD driver version. Later versions create this issue. So it seems AMD's driver related. Many users who reported this on Reddit using totally different AMD GPUs. But ok I'll try my luck posting it on Chrome subreddit to know if Chromium is the guilty party here.If your Chrome has colour issues, you should contact Google, is the same as trying to contact AMD when a game crashes, the issue is in the game.
You're right. But that's not the main point. The point is how images look on the device with hardware acceleration on. I shouldn't need to disable hardware acceleration to get the accurate image.Plus you just proved further what I said earlier, post processing is being applied to your Chrome browser, which doesn't degrate image quality contrary to popular believe.
Is this suppose to be an excuse or what! If your software has a problem then you should try your best to fix it. Chrome has issue with hardware acceleration, and it needs to be fixed. That's it. It's 2021 and post-processing or whatever that is, I want images to look good in Chromium browsers like it happens on Firefox. Disabling hardware acceleration is not a solution.If I worked at AMD, I would blacklist Chrome and let only experienced users use hardware acceleration on it, problem solved for the casuals.

Are talking about the attached image? In that case it will always look worse since it was captured from Firefox and Chrome respectively demonstrating their difference.OK, thank you for the image comparison. Firefox's image does look qualitatively better.
On both of my chromium browsers, gpu rasterization was set as "default" or in Opera--default-undefined. So, I disabled this in both Edge and Opera and the image is still poorer in quality than Firefox's rendering. Specifically, the crimson area around the end of the fencing sword at the extreme left is still blurred.
Can someone further confirm this observation, please? Or did disabling the gpu flag make it all better? I mean, this has been a consistent thing for months now.![]()
You're right. Applying "image-rendering: -webkit-optimize-contrast;" does fix the problem in most cases. I also mentioned it in my initial post. But applying it now often over sharpens images but if the site owner does that then probably the result will be better.Images rendered in Chrome with default settings seem to lose both contrast and sharpness...
As a result, much more details are noticeable in Firefox.
This can be seen on any website that hasn't implemented image-rendering: -webkit-optimize-contrast.
It can't be seen on the Apple and Samsung websites for example. I can't notice it on MalwareTips either.
The following content is from Bittdefender.co.uk page.
Chrome:
View attachment 253696
Firefox:
View attachment 253697
Notice how "Comparatives" and "NSS Recommended are far more readable on FF. The blue shade in "Wave Leader" + Black text are far darker and more contrasting too.
Overall, the whole graphic has lost contrast in Chrome.
Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes
Continue exploring the conversation.