bo.elam Config

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Nice, seems like you have a very safe system. So no antivirus?

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I like it. It is simple and secure. Sandboxie is a huge step to keeping your system clean. I like that you use MBAM and HitMan Pro. I personally believe that SAS is a colossal waste of time. The only thing that I would add is KeyScrambler for your browsers. It is great for online purchase and banking security in the event that a keylogger has been installed on your system prior to your weekly scans. Don't forget GMER. Run it once a month, or when things are suspicious. Get a good process viewer like SpyDLL Remover or Process Hacker 2 if you want to gather quick and reliable intelligence outside of your on-demand scanners. I like Avira free edition for AV. Avast free is all the rage though, according to many. If you need a good defragmenting program, Smart Defrag 2 is a good one. SpyDLL remover can be acquired at www.resplendence.com. Everything else should be at www.download.com (CNET). Both are trusted and secure. I have used them for years with no issues. Good day sir.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You can add EMET (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit) to maximize the protection against exploit.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Don't use Avast in light of what you just stated pertinent to your MSE experience.

AVIRA FREE EDITION is the one for you, so long as you do not mind and occasional false positive on agressive mode. I have been using Avira for over 2 years. I love it. It does not drag my system down whatsoever. I am the type of person that will not tolerate even a 1 or 2 second hang. Window hangs, sticking virtual buttons and general slow downs drive me nuts, so you can trust me when I say Avira WILL NOT slow you down. Besides that, it has been a solid AV program.

You will want to disable the splash screen that will appear at start up. It is a simple registry tweak:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"

the "value" for the avira "avgnt" "regkey", there, would be:

"C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium\avgnt.exe" /min /nosplash"

note that there is a space between "/min" and "/nosplash"

(Splash screen removal complements of Avira support) http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=89419

I use 2002 XP sp3, so this method should work for you as well.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
What can I say? Good for you. :cool: I admire your determination to keep things simple, yet secure.

FYI: My experiences with Sandboxie have been flawless. I have used it in the worst environments with my AV turned off and come out smelling like a rose every time.

blues

Level 1
Apr 30, 2011
bo_knows.jpg

:cool:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Sandboxing can be an excellent way to protect your system but some advanced malware has proven to be able to bypass sandboxing. If you Google you should be able to find examples on how advanced malware can still infect your system.

I have read several articles on how users got infected because advanced malware was able to escape out of the sandbox. Just remember malware is always a step ahead of any way to detect or block them.

I suggest adding a real-time antivirus for just in case. It wouldn't hurt anything.

Thanks.:D

blues

Level 1
Apr 30, 2011
bo.elam said:
Hey, What you doing over here blues?
Welcome

Bo

Thanks, Bo. I got an invite via PM a few weeks ago and wandered on over to have a look. :cool:

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
We are like two peas in a pod. lol I am not a gamer at all, but I surf a ton. I am an information junkie, so I like to be lightning and grease.

The only reservation I have about Sandboxing is a scenario from the Live Free or Die Hard movie--delete the contents of the sandbox as to shatter the hacker's dreams, and your computer blows up and kills you. ROFL

blues

Level 1
Apr 30, 2011
bo.elam said:
You should add your name to the DefenseWall giveaway.
Its another great program, as solid as SBIE.

Bo

I tested it a few years ago, Bo (as well as GeSWall). I agree, it's a great program and very effective. But for me, I really like and am comfortable with the combo and features of Sandboxie along with Online Armor.

(Plus I'm not looking to add any security apps I have to subscribe to yearly at this juncture).

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I see that you use OA. I used to and I think it is great.

FYI: I always delete the content as well. I also delete forced programs.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.