Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
My laptop configuration
SECURE [STAFF] - BoraMurdar's System

This was my first computer, so I'm emotionally connected to it. It costed around 700 euros and bought somewhere in 2005. It thought me almost everything I know about computing, repair, servicing, software, hardware... I will continue to maintain it until it completely dies, as every component works and the only thing I've upgraded was when I added another 512MB RAM stick 3 years ago.
Now it's in my parents house, and it serves my mom to play some Facebook games, read the news and play some music. Dad doesn't even know to hold a mouse as he has no interest in computers.

I've inherited suspiciousness and watchfulness from my mother, so it didn't take me a lot of time to teach her some basic surfing and to educate her what is good and what is probably bad online and offline.

Be skeptical and you basically cannot be surprised or ambushed by some malicious software or activity.

Windows XP was installed on it, continuously updated with POS Ready updates, and protected with Avast Free Antivirus [All heuristics on Max, and Aggressive Hardened Mode enabled] and Private Firewall manually configured. But, more and more software, (browsers mostly) abandoned XP and security holes are bigger than ever. As Lubuntu doesn't really like my computer, (basically any Debian), I couldn't handle Linux on it mostly because of some driver problems and freezes. I've decided to install Windows 7, with all other unsuccessful tries left in the past. And I did it :)

CPU : Intel Celeron D 336 , 2,8GHz
GPU : MSI Radeon RX9550 , 128MB of SDRAM
HDD : 160GB SATA I, Seagate
RAM : 2 x 512MB DDR

Windows 7, needed to be slimmed down so I did some modifications :
  • Windows Classic theme enabled (And I like it in some strange way)
  • Wallpaper disabled
  • Hibernation disabled
  • Power Mode on Maximum Performance
  • Autorun disabled
  • TabletPC disabled
  • WifiServices disabled
  • Indexing disabled
  • Error Reporting disabled
  • Fax Service disabled
  • Distributed Link Tracking Service disabled
  • XPS Viewer and Printer disabled
  • Smart Card services disabled
  • All Windows Media features disabled (Windows Media Player, Media Center, DVD Creator)
  • Gadget Platform disabled
  • Offline files disabled
  • Disabled Remote Registry Management
  • Internet Explorer CEIP disabled
  • Windows and Messenger CEIP disabled
  • Inventory Collector disabled
  • Some unneeded schedule tasks deleted
Comodo Cloud Antivirus 1.13.424807.562
  • Action to perform when a threat is detected [Quarantine]
  • Viruscope enabled
  • Cloud Behavioral Analysis enabled
  • Auto Sandbox enabled and set to [Run Only Safe Apps] , I don't want to waste resources on sandboxing, so the untrusted apps are blocked
  • Protected folders set
  • Detect potentially unwanted apps
  • Security Essentials opted out
uBlock lists enabled everything above Regional Lists

Performance is acceptable, if I cannot say it's good. For single core CPU and a dinosaur HDD. CPU usage sits between 4-10% when idle. RAM usage is around 40%.
Thank you for reading :)

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Great configuration @BoraMurdar, but no doubt! ;)
Thanks for sharing and I appreciate so much the tips to optimize and streamline Windows 7, some of them are also applicable for Windows 10 for sure.:)
Thank you! :) Of course, especially telemetry services, and components under Programs and Features

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
My laptop configuration

This was my first computer, so I'm emotionally connected to it. It thought me almost everything I know about computing, repair, servicing, software, hardware... I will continue to maintain it until it completely dies, as every component works and the only thing I've upgraded was when I added another 512MB RAM stick 3 years ago.
Now it's in my parents house, and it serves my mom to play some Facebook games, read the news and play some music. Dad doesn't even know to hold a mouse as he has no interest in computers.

I've inherited suspiciousness and watchfulness from my mother, so it didn't take me a lot of time to teach her some basic surfing and to educate her what is good and what is probably bad online and offline.

Be skeptical and you basically cannot be surprised or ambushed by some malicious software or activity.

Windows XP was installed on it, continuously updated with POS Ready updates, and protected with Avast Free Antivirus [All heuristics on Max, and Aggressive Hardened Mode enabled] and Private Firewall manually configured. But, more and more software, (browsers mostly) abandoned XP and security holes are bigger than ever. As Lubuntu doesn't really like my computer, (basically any Debian), I couldn't handle Linux on it mostly because of some driver problems and freezes. I've decided to install Windows 7, with all other unsuccessful tries left in the past. And I did it :)

CPU : Intel Celeron D 336 , 2,8GHz
GPU : MSI Radeon RX9550 , 128MB of SDRAM
HDD : 160GB SATA I, Seagate
RAM : 2 x 512MB DDR

Windows 7, needed to be slimmed down so I did some modifications :
  • Windows Classic theme enabled (And I like it in some strange way)
  • Wallpaper disabled
  • Hibernation disabled
  • Power Mode on Maximum Performance
  • Autorun disabled
  • TabletPC disabled
  • WifiServices disabled
  • Indexing disabled
  • Error Reporting disabled
  • Fax Service disabled
  • Distributed Link Tracking Service disabled
  • XPS Viewer and Printer disabled
  • Smart Card services disabled
  • All Windows Media features disabled (Windows Media Player, Media Center, DVD Creator)
  • Gadget Platform disabled
  • Offline files disabled
  • Disabled Remote Registry Management
  • Internet Explorer CEIP disabled
  • Windows and Messenger CEIP disabled
  • Inventory Collector disabled
  • Some unneeded schedule tasks deleted
Comodo Cloud Antivirus 1.13.424807.562
  • Action to perform when a threat is detected [Quarantine]
  • Viruscope enabled
  • Cloud Behavioral Analysis enabled
  • Auto Sandbox enabled and set to [Run Only Safe Apps] , I don't want to waste resources on sandboxing, so the untrusted apps are blocked
  • Protected folders set
  • Detect potentially unwanted apps
  • Security Essentials opted out
uBlock lists enabled everything above Regional Lists

Performance is acceptable, if I cannot say it's good. For single core CPU and a dinosaur HDD. CPU usage sits between 4-10% when idle. RAM usage is around 40%.
Thank you for reading :)
Nice setup :)
Your first pc is almost same as my first pc. It was an AMD Athelon 2.66Ghz with ATI Radeon x1200 128MB graphics, 2GB Ram and 150 GB HDD. Oh man, it was a beast at its prime. Old days. I sold it 3 yrs ago, as it's MB and then PSU kept failing.

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
My laptop configuration

This was my first computer, so I'm emotionally connected to it.

Nice presentation. I am also emotionally connected to my fist laptop bought in 2004. It was IBM ThinkPad R50e. I paid about $1800 but it worked for 1.5 year :p. There was a motherboard malfunction. As I was told that the southbridge on the motherboard gone. That time I had no skills in hardware/software at all.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Nice setup :)
Your first pc is almost same as my first pc. It was an AMD Athelon 2.66Ghz with ATI Radeon x1200 128MB graphics, 2GB Ram and 150 GB HDD. Oh man, it was a beast at its prime. Old days. I sold it 3 yrs ago, as it's MB and then PSU kept failing.
Yours is a beast compared to mine :)

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Nice presentation. I am also emotionally connected to my fist laptop bought in 2004. It was IBM ThinkPad R50e. I paid about $1800 but it worked for 1.5 year :p. There was a motherboard malfunction. As I was told that the southbridge on the motherboard gone. That time I had no skills in hardware/software at all.
Those were days :) I remember I was the first one to have 512MB of RAM in my hood, all my friends had 256MB of RAM and I gave them that look "Ha! Peasants! " regularly :D

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
Those were days :) I remember I was the first one to have 512MB of RAM in my hood, all my friends had 256MB of RAM and I gave them that look "Ha! Peasants! " regularly :D

Yes, same to me. I was very proud to have a such laptop with 512 mb onboard. That time not everyone even had PC and having a lap was very cool. Nowadays even poor people have some laptops :).

T

The paranoid one

Nice config
I have an old laptop with 1 Gb RAM. W7 runs here like a demotivated snail, so I have installed XP SP3 with Comodo Firewall and Qihoo 360
But I want to copy/paste your config for if I want to try to install again W7 before long
Thanks for sharing :)

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
Paramecium is one of the simplest organisms so I've found a parable to illustrate the raw power of my dinosaur machine :)
Paramecium - Wikipedia

I also searched for Paramecium and found this. Yes, it is the simplest organism. When I was at school we learned about at biology classes.

images.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.