Last updated
Mar 18, 2021
How it's used?
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 10
On-device encryption
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Smart App Control
Network firewall
Real-time security
BitDefender
Firewall security
About custom security
Default Setting
Periodic malware scanners
BitDefender (Manual Daily Scan)
EmsiSoft E.K.
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
TOR
BRAVE
GOOGLE CHROME with AdGuard AdBlocker
MICROSOFT EDGE with AdGuard AdBlocker
Secure DNS
NextDNS (FREE)
Desktop VPN
iVPN
Password manager
SecureSafe
Maintenance tools
Disk CleanUp
Defragmentation And Optimize
File and Photo backup
SecureSafe
System recovery
Macrium Reflect
VeraCrypt
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Working from home
    • Requesting and accepting remote access
    • Gaming
Computer specs
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
Notable changes
- Login Security (Windows Hello)
- UAC
- Device Recover & BackUp
- Periodic scanners
- Browsers, Search and Addons
- Personal Files & Photos backup
- DNS (nextDNS free version)
- Periodic scanners (EmsiSoft E.K.)
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Yes, although it can be a PassWord Manager, it can be uses also to store/sync user documents, if You also use it for this, just add to the field: Personal Files & Photos backup, I see for private use can use 100GB as maximum...

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Hi guys !

i am just wondering if there is a need for (iVPN) if i have (nextDNS) to basically protects me from all the possible threat?

Though VPN does provide a (masking) of identity. :oops:
A VPN isn't for privacy nor security.
You only (completely) moving your trust from ISP to that VPN provider and 99% user doesn't need that and is even a disadvantage.
VPNs are designed to work with company files from home.

So, no you don't need a VPN. NextDNS isn't also one but a DNS provider ;)

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
A VPN isn't for privacy nor security.
You only (completely) moving your trust from ISP to that VPN provider and 99% user doesn't need that and is even a disadvantage.
VPNs are designed to work with company files from home.

So, no you don't need a VPN. NextDNS isn't also one but a DNS provider ;)
A little misleading but I get your point. VPN does encrypt internet traffic anc change the IP adress. this can be useful in public networks where anyone can connect. With a VPN you are protected from possible hackers who want to steal your unencrypted data. It can also be used for unblocking geo restricted content.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

A little misleading but I get your point. VPN does encrypt internet traffic anc change the IP adress. this can be useful in public networks where anyone can connect. With a VPN you are protected from possible hackers who want to steal your unencrypted data. It can also be used for unblocking geo restricted content.
What's not really how it works.
Connections to websites are always encrypted (at least for important ones like banking).
The only weak part here are untrusted networks like public ones but even than a attacker can't easily hack your connection because of certificate pinning. So you get a browser warning if someone is modified.

People doesn't know that and fall into VPN marketing trap.

Also encrypted DNS got more and more so even less attack surface in public Networks.
No normal guy can do anything malicious in a public network with your data, unless you use unencrypted sites.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Connections to websites are always encrypted (at least for important ones like banking).
Doesn't mean that you don't type important messages in unencrypted chats within a game etc.
Also encrypted DNS got more and more so even less attack surface in public Networks.
No normal guy can do anything malicious in a public network with your data, unless you use unencrypted sites.
Encrypted DNS is more useful for day to day use I agree, and I would always pick it over a VPN, but for some tasks like streaming (Proxy works too), browsing unknown sites or running malware like in the Hub, a VPN is essential.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Doesn't mean that you don't type important messages in unencrypted chats within a game etc.
i don't think that anyone playing games over VPN.

Encrypted DNS is more useful for day to day use I agree, and I would always pick it over a VPN, but for some tasks like streaming (Proxy works too), browsing unknown sites or running malware like in the Hub, a VPN is essential.
As i said, a VPN isn't designed for security nor privacy.
Read Don't use VPN services.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
i don't think that anyone playing games over VPN.
Talking bout public wifis as mentioned above.
As i said, a VPN isn't designed for security nor privacy.
Read Don't use VPN services.
You will find pro VPN opinions and con VPN opinions. They can see your traffic and keep logs but so can your ISP. I respect your opinion and also agree that VPNs in many cases aren't delivering more privacy or security but there are tasks where it's useful like for torrenting and the ones I mentioned above.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Talking bout public wifis as mentioned above.

You will find pro VPN opinions and con VPN opinions. They can see your traffic and keep logs but so can your ISP. I respect your opinion and also agree that VPNs in many cases aren't delivering more privacy or security but there are tasks where it's useful like for torrenting and the ones I mentioned above.
Our friend @SecurityNightmares exists as a con VPN opinion :ROFLMAO:, but with good reasoning!

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Our friend @SecurityNightmares exists as a con VPN opinion :ROFLMAO:, but with good reasoning!
Don't get me wrong, I totally understand what hes saying, but I think it's unfair to say that every VPN provider is just using your data to share with third parties and that they have no value at all etc. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that proxies can replace a VPN in many things actually. 😄

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.