Bose Accused Its Headphones Spy on Users

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
bose-accused-its-headphones-spy-on-users.jpg

Wireless headphones company Bose is being sued for allegedly tracking the music, podcasts, and other audio users listen to, putting that information to use by selling it.

The accusations were included in a complaint that was recently filed in a federal court in Chicago. Millions of dollars in damages are demanded for Bose users.

The lawsuit states that Bose used the Bose Connect app to spy on users. This is the tool that customers use to pair the headphones to their devices in order to manage software updates and more. Bose has pushed users to install this particular app in order to "get the most" out of their headphones, asking for people's information when signing in, such as their email address, name, and the headphone's serial number.

The individual signing the complaint is Kyle Zak, who accuses Bose of completely disregarding their users' privacy. Lawyers reprezenting Zak ... (read more)

Last edited by a moderator:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I don't know if this one will fly legally as it depends on the actions of third parties:

From the Bose privacy policy:

"These third parties may use SDKs or other tracking mechanisms to collect information from the app and from your device. Such parties may include crash and bug analytics providers like Crashlytics and service providers like Segment that enable us to better control data from the app and direct it to third-party analytics providers."

The above will be the case for just about everything you use so should not be considered specific for Bose.

So, yeah, Bose is responsible, but only Kinda-Sorta (this being said, I am glad I'm not a Shareholder!)

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I personally thing (just like with Trump) it's all allowed of nonsense. The whole world listening to Edward Snowden is fixed on every company and everyone obsessed with being spy'd and listened to.

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
And with hacking those apps is it posible to eavesdrop someone. Someones life could be ruined for no reason other than greed of those companies. First vere cameras now headphones.

It is not the question will it happen but when will it happen.

There is no international law that safeguards privacy on the internet. Which is grey area where companies now play their game of colecting informations for advertising and comercial uses.

I'm felling robed somehow, why should someone get rich over my privacy. If we can not stop this trend then at least give us 50% of the income that they got beacause of our personal information.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Irresponsible and possibly intentional.

Headphones, earphones, headset are already possible from a research testing about hacking the sound communication with a nifty vulnerability; and not surprise if a single concept may use for gathering information.

There are so many ways to make the product as a smoke screen for such interest.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.