Solved Brave browser in Linux flatpak updating in the flatpak container?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LennyFox

Level 7
Thread author
Jan 18, 2024
I am not using Firefox (on my desktop video playing lags terribly).

I hae been looking for an alternative Chromium browser available in flatpak and it seems that Brave updates much faster than other Chromium based browsers in flatpak(e.g. Chrome).

Today (9 feb) the Update Manager informed me that I has an update (to 121.0.6167.160) and Chrome needed a SUDO approval to update, while Brave already ran 121.0.6167.161 (since 7 feb) and did not ask for update approval. So it seems that Brave updates in the flatpak container. When this is true than Brave really offers an advantage over other Chrome/Chromium browsers in Linux.

Questions:
  1. Any other MT members using Brave on Linux in a flatpak? If so, is my conclusion correct (Brave does not need SUDO to update in the flatpak)?

2. Also considering the seamlessly zero update lag, is Brave itself distributing the Linux flatpak version?

Thanks

Reactions: oldschool

LennyFox

Level 7
Thread author
Jan 18, 2024
I already looked at their forum. I don't want to sign up, that is why I asked in the Linux forum.

Don't think moving it to the brave section wil increase the chance of getting an answer.

Reactions: oldschool

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I already looked at their forum. I don't want to sign up, that is why I asked in the Linux forum.
There community is not the best in terms of reliability, activity and developer or support response. I was active for a long-time but became disenchanted, though I still check in now that I'm using Brave and Firefox.

• Applause
Reactions: LennyFox

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Here are some alternative settings you can try shared by @oldschool (Serious Discussion - Brave feature and settings review).

@LennyFox I just posted your question in the BraveCommunity, so we shall see ... 🤔
I asked Brave Leo (Mixtral, Free).

Does Brave need SUDO to update in the flatpak?
Leo (Brave AI) said:
No, Brave installed via Flatpak should not require sudo to update. Flatpak is a system for building, distributing, and running sandboxed desktop applications on Linux, which manages its own set of permissions and does not require sudo to update the installed applications. If you're having issues updating Brave in Flatpak, try running `flatpak update` in the terminal to see if that resolves the issue. If the problem persists, you may need to check the Flatpak installation and configuration for any potential issues.

LennyFox

Level 7
Thread author
Jan 18, 2024
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.