Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

Homepage: Secure, Fast & Private Web Browser with Adblocker | Brave Browser

Latest release notes: Brave Release Notes | Brave Browser

Desktop Release Notes v1.1.20​

• Added Privacy Preserving Product Analytics (P3A). (#6285)
  • Added auto-contribute support for GitHub. (#5120)
  • Added separate tip banner for monthly contributions to creators. (#5996)
  • Added the ability to opt-in to user private Brave ads for Cayman Islands. (#6006)
  • Added fingerprinting exception for 1Password. (#6007)
  • Added setting to “Use Google Services for Push Messaging” in brave://settings. (#2301)
  • Updated ads confirmations to redeem with the server every 24 hours instead of 7 days. (#5999)
  • Updated brave://rewards to show monthly tips in a separate panel. (#5957)
  • Improved accessibility on brave://welcome page. (#5504)
  • Improved accessibility on Brave Rewards tip banners. (#6147)
  • Removed known user tracking parameters from query strings. (#4239)
  • Disabled Safe Browsing for downloads. (#4341)
  • Disabled Motion Sensors by default. (#4789)
  • Disabled Web Background Synchronization by default. (#4709)
  • Fixed certain cases where users are stuck in the wallet verification flow for Brave Rewards. (#7122)
  • Fixed inability to tweet after completing an inline tip on Reddit. (#6223)
  • Fixed ad notifications being displayed while browser is in full screen mode. (#5559)
  • Fixed inability to import from Firefox. (#6521)
  • Fixed Tor windows not respecting custom global shields settings. (#2978)
  • Fixed Tor windows not respecting the globally set option for “Block Scripts” in brave://settings. (#4191)
  • Fixed download not cancelling in Tor window when the window is closed. (#5367)
  • Fixed CORS issue with atlassian.net. (#4419)
  • Upgraded Chromium to 79.0.3945.74. (#7282)

ErzCrz

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Having given it a try earlier this evening, quit liking it. I'm still not convinced by brave rewards apart from tipping back to sites automatically. I don't use online currency so any I'd earn wouldn't be much use to me really but I have it enabled and I'll just give it back automatically I guess.

TOR feature is cool though ISP blocks TOR so not much use but great browser all in all :)

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Brave is now supported by the free Wise Disk Cleaner X for any that require it ~
Wise Disk Free Site
Hmm, interesting.

You can use CCleaner too if you want.
In the options tab, go to advanced section and check to use the .ini file. Open where Ccleaner is installed and than open ccleaner.ini and add this after the
[options]
CustomLocation1=CHROME|C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default

Now the options used to clean chrome will clean Brave as well.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
It's a fast browser but I can't use it as my daily driver because the sync feature is horribly broken, sporradically it works but most of the time it does nothing.

Reactions: Nevi and Cortex

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Desktop
Release Notes v1.3.113

• Added New Tab Page Sponsored Images. (#7883)
  • Added the ability to opt-in to user private Brave ads for over 30 new regions. (#6825)
  • Added the ability for multiple segments to trigger ad notifications. (#6256)
  • Added OS level targeting for ads. (#4761)
  • Added server configurable default tip amounts. (#6011)
  • Added web compatibility reporter on Brave Shields. (#4262)
  • Added additional zoom levels. (#6943)
  • Added the ability for users to disable autocomplete. (#843)
  • Added the ability to disable Tor via Admin policy. (#454)
  • Added auto-compaction for sync to reduce transferred data amount. (#6552)
  • Updated permissions for Uphold user wallets for Brave Rewards. (#7713)
  • Updated UI for the Brave Rewards widget on the New Tab Page. (#7885)
  • Updated text to indicate that wallet verification is optional. (#7102)
  • Updated “Thank you” text on monthly contribution banner. (#6744)
  • Updated ads panel on brave://rewards to display BAT with 1 decimal place. (#6774)
  • Updated speaker button on pinned tabs so it cannot be clicked. (#6358)
  • Updated Widevine setting to be install specific instead of profile specific. (#6747)
  • Updated the New Tab Page to be more dynamic. (#7884)
  • Updated sync chain preferences. (#6504)
  • Disabled out of process rasterization by default. (#7581)
  • Fixed crash which occurred when extensions-toolbar-menu is enabled in brave://flags. (#5646)
  • Fixed ads crash in certain cases. (#6880)
  • Fixed Brave Rewards widget not reflecting auto contribute amount. (#6740)
  • Fixed wallet balance not updating dynamically on the tip banner. (#7047)
  • Fixed incorrect balance displaying when rewards is toggled off. (#6335)
  • Fixed claim banner not being removed from brave://rewards in certain cases. (#6741)
  • Fixed the tipping banner always showing a disabled vertical scrollbar. (#6222)
  • Fixed multiple entries displaying in ads history for the same ad notification. (#6205)
  • Fixed inability to open ad notifications from notification center on Windows. (#4102)
  • Fixed certain cases where browser doesn’t retry to get new signed ad tokens. (#6647)
  • Fixed global shields setting for “Only block cross-site cookies” not working. (#6804)
  • Fixed missing context menu items. (#6513)
  • Fixed inconsistent naming for Site Settings in brave://settings/clearBrowserData. (#6627)
  • Fixed exported password file name. (#629)
  • Fixed “Add to Chrome” being displayed instead of “Add to Brave” in Chrome Web Store. (#5730)
  • Fixed inability to login to Expensify with Google Authentication. (#5869)
  • Fixed certain cases where bookmarks are missing from sync after chain creation. (#7251)
  • Fixed certain cases where bookmark location changes are not synced to other devices on chain. (#8065)
  • Fixed issue with sync chain reset when device is offline. (#3628)
  • Fixed webview crash on dobreprogramy.pl. (#7453)
  • Fixed display glitches in certain cases. (#6979)
  • Fixed top sites widget not moving up when stats widget is hidden on the New Tab Page. (#7855)
  • Fixed typescript files not displaying syntax highlighting in Developer Tools. (#5618)
  • Upgraded Chromium to 80.0.3987.87. (#8058)

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
I want to give Brave another try but I've read the last week's that sync was horribly broken and the devs decided to hide it from the UI. Can anyone tell me if it's available again?

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I want to give Brave another try but I've read the last week's that sync was horribly broken and the devs decided to hide it from the UI. Can anyone tell me if it's available again?

It was removed in the last update and has not returned. Can't find it in Settings. I'm sure they realize this is an important feature to many users and hopefully they get it right soon.

Here are today's release notes:

Desktop

Release Notes V1.3.118

• Added flag under brave://flags to re-enable sync. (#8187)
  • Improved P3A metrics for wallet states. (#8187)
  • Reduced interval between P3A pings from 1 hour to 1 minute. (#8084)
  • Fixed tokens not being successfully unblinded in certain cases leading to reduced balances. (#8207)
  • Fixed sync crash when re-creating a new sync chain. (#7412)
  • Fixed three consecutive sync updates will result in data deletion. (#8203)
  • Fixed sync crash in certain cases. (#8228)
  • Fixed incorrect Terms of Service link being used during onboarding and the rewards panel. (#8229)
  • Upgraded Chromium to 80.0.3987.116. (#8304)

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
block scripts ver 1.3.118 seems to work ok, and safer way to surf until you get to a page that needs scripts and you understand what you're doing. BUT annoyance for me. I see the notification that scripts are blocked, and I right click the notification and it pops down as white or transparent, and too often the webpage background is white and I cannot see the options in the popdown. This happens most of the time. Seems like an easy fix, but wonder if this is just me as it should have been noticed by developers or other users long ago. I went to the Brave community forum to make a suggestion to fix, and that was its own little nightmare of BS, my draft post was deleted after typing out a description of the problem because they required a "tag" and rather than letting me add a tag, my draft was deleted. Very rare for me to redo my work or typing, so I logged out, and unlikely I'll return. I get to rant here. If you like Brave and know how to give them feedback, please ask them to fix this. or why not feedback selection in the "about."

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
block scripts ver 1.3.118 seems to work ok, and safer way to surf until you get to a page that needs scripts and you understand what you're doing. BUT annoyance for me. I see the notification that scripts are blocked, and I right click the notification and it pops down as white or transparent, and too often the webpage background is white and I cannot see the options in the popdown.

Is your mouse customized? I left-click on Brave icon and flyout appears without issues. You can "allow once" and it will auto-reload the page. If you choose to allow via the <> icon for JS and "allow", then you need to reload page from the usual refresh icon (upper left). If none of this is working for you then you likely have either a 3rd party conflict or you can uninstall/clean install Brave. Have you tried checking any of these? Otherwise, this is the first I've heard of this "bug".

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Is your mouse customized? I left-click on Brave icon and flyout appears without issues. You can "allow once" and it will auto-reload the page. If you choose to allow via the <> icon for JS and "allow", then you need to reload page from the usual refresh icon (upper left). If none of this is working for you then you likely have either a 3rd party conflict or you can uninstall/clean install Brave. Have you tried checking any of these? Otherwise, this is the first I've heard of this "bug".

mouse is normal, so I left click, and the popdown (popup / flyout) appears, but still appears transparent with white lettering against white background of the webpage and the flyout options are "invisible" -- where's the switch to make that popup not transparent? You can only click "allow once" if you can see it -- my experience here. other than this snafu, I'm mostly using brave .

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
mouse is normal, so I left click, and the popdown (popup / flyout) appears, but still appears transparent with white lettering against white background of the webpage and the flyout options are "invisible" -- where's the switch to make that popup not transparent?

There is no switch to make the flyout transparent.

Either a security soft is interfering with Brave or your installation is corrupted, which is why I suggested troubleshooting and doing a clean install of Brave. I see a lot of security softs on your profile and don't know if you're using them all. And if all those extensions are on Brave then troubleshooting your issue becomes even more complex than it already appears.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
There is no switch to make the flyout transparent.

Either a security soft is interfering with Brave or your installation is corrupted, which is why I suggested troubleshooting and doing a clean install of Brave. I see a lot of security softs on your profile and don't know if you're using them all. And if all those extensions are on Brave then troubleshooting your issue becomes even more complex than it already appears.

I'm sure my security page is not up to date, running win10 in vmware workstation 15, WD (+configuredefender -- probably on default), & voodooshield 5.63 beta. I did add WiseVector just because and I"m not seeing any conflicts. What is "new" is only a few days I changed Brave settings to block scripts and I manually added 1 or 2 URL to script whitelist. Set to advance view, I just changed it to simple view, and still the flyout is transparent against a white or light colored webpage. unclear why a security app would render a Brave flyout transparent. Against a black or dark webpage I clearly see the flyout. I've been running Brave for some months now, mostly updates itself. In the scheme of things this is very minor issue, so no intent to bad mouth Brave. So your experience is that the flyout is not transparent or semi-transparent?? , so I can see why you suggest some security app, just does not "feel" like that to me. Against a dark page I see 2 options: always allow JavaScript on <current URL> or continue blocking JavaScript, which is the default selection. I vaguely recall seeing "allow one time" or something like that but I think that was in Settings somewhere.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
So your experience is that the flyout is not transparent or semi-transparent?? ,

No, it's blue-ish/purplish.
I vaguely recall seeing "allow one time" or something like that but I think that was in Settings somewhere.

No "allow once" is in the drop-down when you click on Brave icon in address bar. JS switch to "always allow on xxx URL" or "Continue to block" is to the left of the Brave icon.

Reactions: Cortex

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.