Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I recently discovered tor being integrated with Brave, and was quite amazed at the functionality of it. Seeing that the normal tor browser has to take some time to start up and connect to the tor nodes while Brave on the other hand is able to start the tor mode almost immediately.

I was just wondering the implications of using tor mode on Brave, does it provide the same level of protection as the normal tor browser? Is my browsing data still protected from my ISP?

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I was just wondering the implications of using tor mode on Brave, does it provide the same level of protection as the normal tor browser? Is my browsing data still protected from my ISP?
Quote from a Brave employee on the matter:

So no, it doesn't provide the same level of protection as the Tor Browser, and it does hide your browsing activity from your ISP.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I recently discovered tor being integrated with Brave, and was quite amazed at the functionality of it. Seeing that the normal tor browser has to take some time to start up and connect to the tor nodes while Brave on the other hand is able to start the tor mode almost immediately.

Here's some more info. Just know that your browsing will be much slower and some sites may not work.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I was testing Brave again, then Brave Private Tor window (over vpn) and went to dnsleaktest_dot_com, and see various dns ip. as if a leak. Made me wonder. Went to different pc, open Tor Browser 9.0.1 over vpn and went back to leak test and I see 6 different Google dns servers. But then close Tor browser, go online using chrome via my vpn and run the same leak test and just 1 dns server related to the vpn. So... with Tor all those Google dns servers are tracking where you go but they are not sure who you are, but seems more private and secure using chrome (any browser) with just my vpn. Yes?? (ps I've read something similar before but the above test really made me stop and consider this enough to post here for network gurus to chime in.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Using Tor alone isn't private enough, remember Tor was made by the Navy for the "3 letters" agencies and those own many exit nodes which defeats its purpose.
To have a minimum of anonymity with Tor, you must throw a VPN into the mix.
But it is not good to use a VPN with TOR. In fact, the recommendation is to use bridges with TOR. Read below

FI, TOR has 1500+ bridges

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.