Vivaldi
Platform(s)
  1. Microsoft Windows

Alexai

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 12, 2023
Hello all!

I used for many years Vivaldi with satisfaction, even if it crashed so many times that suddenly I lost my open tabs.
Then I read that 12 Secure Browsers That Protect Your Privacy in 2023 , and other sources like that Which browsers are best for privacy?

Then I've using edge, is so performing and userfriendly in my opinion. I use group-tabs and I've opened something like 200 tabs.

Then there is Brave. On the web is the most recommended about privacy, referring to chromium browser.

I'm in the middle of a doubt:
the performing edge
the useful resizeable sidebars of vivaldi
or the so-called privacy-respecter Brave
?

:)

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I would ditch brave for being crypto friendly
Edge is too bloated, not features just bloat

Vivaldi is my favorite chromium browser
- you can edit ui to match firefox theme or anything you want it to look like
- Feature rich browser, as easy to set up as other browsers, cant call it bloated there are just features you either use or not
- only downside of vivaldi is that its ram hog compared to google chrome or edge

So i think vivaldi is most balanced, its privacy friendly, feature rich, not bloated with crypto crap, most antiviruses can function with it, built-in adblocker , performance wide as fast as competors and extension support fully from google chrome

Personally i have given up with chromium based browsers and using firefox nowadays

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I used Edge for a long time but dumped it earlier this year. Sure it's performance is great, but you have to endure Microsoft endless nags and manipulation in trying and get you to adopt their garbage services. If you're willing to put up with all that, then more power to you, but I'm done being tolerant towards it. (It's also not private; telemetry can't be turned off, new tab page connects to a third-party analytics company, and plenty of its features/settings transmit URLs to Microsoft.)

I want to like Brave and I've tried using it multiple times over the years, but every time I do it ends up being just as buggy as the last time I used it. Until the bugs are ironed out, it's not for me. But if you aren't experiencing any bugs, or can deal with any you run into, then it's a good candidate if you're looking for a private browser.

I can't comment on Vivaldi as I've never used it.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For disclosure, I am a Brave browser user across desktop and mobile. I would recommend anyone to try Brave browser for the inclusion and ability to block trackers and ads without needing to install one from a third-party. Custom filters can be added at brave://settings/shields/filters (eg, Adguard filters).

It has optional privacy and Web3 features from VPN in partnership with Guardian , Non-custodial Crypto Wallet , Get Paid to View Ads , Brave News, Talk and Search.
  • All Brave features - LINK
  • All Brave privacy features - LINK
On iOS, users of Brave browser can use the Playlist which allows offline playback from media such as Twitch, YouTube, YT Music and Soundcloud, all without a subscription and is ad-free from it’s native ad-blocking ability. Similar to above, Android users can benefit from Background Audio playback.

Many of the optionals features are opt-in, and can be disabled from the Settings.

No comment regarding Edge or Vivaldi.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I don't understand, why the hell is everyone calling Edge a "privacy" browser? The browser constantly sends data to Microsoft, including full URLs of every website you visit. Microsoft went as far as claiming they aren't associating collected data to your account while it was caught doing just that.

While I was looking for the article I linked above, I just found that in April Edge was caught sending URLs to Bing. It's one heck of a privacy browser. It's literal spyware; even worse offender than Chrome. Because, unlike Edge, Chrome actually lets you to disable everything Google related, including tracking. 🤦‍♂️

Alexai

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 12, 2023
I don't understand, why the hell is everyone calling Edge a "privacy" browser? The browser constantly sends data to Microsoft, including full URLs of every website you visit. Microsoft went as far as claiming they aren't associating collected data to your account while it was caught doing just that.

While I was looking for the article I linked above, I just found that in April Edge was caught sending URLs to Bing. It's one heck of a privacy browser. It's literal spyware; even worse offender than Chrome. Because, unlike Edge, Chrome actually lets you to disable everything Google related, including tracking. 🤦‍♂️
I didn't say that :)

ddave

Level 2
Verified
Nov 17, 2014
IMHO nothing that is chromium-based is anything "concerned about privacy."
Firefox, again IMHO, is the right choice if you are concerned about privacy, and if I had to choose a chromium browser at any cost it would be ungoogled-chromium.

Alexai

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 12, 2023
Firefox, again IMHO, is the right choice if you are concerned about privacy, and if I had to choose a chromium browser at any cost it would be ungoogled-chromium.
Yeah, probably the better is hardened firefox or librewolf (my second browser).

But I need well-done sidebars of opened tabs and favourites.

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
I've been using ViValdi for quite a long time for me this browser is very good in its settings you can do many things, do, set as you want and as for privacy, today and in times on the Internet there is no privacy, it's a myth.
so you don't have to worry about being private.
Vivaldi is the best for me when it comes to handling and settings.

• Thanks
Reactions: Alexai

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Firefox is so private it literally sends constant requests to Mozilla Location Services thingy without ability to turn it off, at least on Android. If that's the most private browser, I'm speechless. Mozilla cares about privacy in a way that it collects data, but doesn't share it with 3rd parties. They still collect very good amount data on you.

The best part–privacy policy of Mozilla Location Services:
Screenshot_1.png

The most private Firefox fork is Librewolf and it's meant for people that are privacy control-freaks. For those that care about privacy, but also care about usability, Waterfox is the alternative.

Last edited:

Alexai

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 12, 2023
For disclosure, I am a Brave browser user across desktop and mobile. I would recommend anyone to try Brave browser for the inclusion and ability to block trackers and ads without needing to install one from a third-party. Custom filters can be added at brave://settings/shields/filters (eg, Adguard filters).

It has optional privacy and Web3 features from VPN in partnership with Guardian , Non-custodial Crypto Wallet , Get Paid to View Ads , Brave News, Talk and Search.
  • All Brave features - LINK
  • All Brave privacy features - LINK
On iOS, users of Brave browser can use the Playlist which allows offline playback from media such as Twitch, YouTube, YT Music and Soundcloud, all without a subscription and is ad-free from it’s native ad-blocking ability. Similar to above, Android users can benefit from Background Audio playback.

Many of the optionals features are opt-in, and can be disabled from the Settings.

No comment regarding Edge or Vivaldi.
Does brave blocking cover third part frame 'n script like ublock origin medium mode?

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
Does brave blocking cover third part frame 'n script like ublock origin medium mode?
You can add custom rules. To simulate uBO MM: ||*$script,frame,third-party
I don't recommend it. It will break many sites. If you whitelist a site, all protection will be gone.* That's a big difference with uBO MM, where you can disable the MM dynamic rule and maintain all other protection.

*Edit: I meant disabling Shields on a site. Of course it's possible to add a whitelistrule like this @@visitedsite$script,frame,third-party

Last edited:

Alexai

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 12, 2023
You can add custom rules. To simulate uBO MM: ||*$script,frame,third-party
I don't recommend it. It will break many sites. If you whitelist a site, all protection will be gone. That's a big difference with uBO MM, where you can disable the MM dynamic rule and maintain all other protection.
So Am I not wrong if I disable tracker protection by brave and use ubo in mm?

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
So Am I not wrong if I disable tracker protection by brave and use ubo in mm?
Brave's ad- and trackers protection is similar to uBO with default settings. In addition Brave offers fingerprint protection. If that's relevant for you, I shouldn't disable Brave shields. Of course you can add uBO. But in that case I should only use Medium Mode, eventually with noop rules for often visited TLD's (so-called easy MM). Further you have the choise to add filterlists to uBO ór to Brave.

Alexai

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 12, 2023
Brave's ad- and trackers protection is similar to uBO with default settings. In addition Brave offers fingerprint protection. If that's relevant for you, I shouldn't disable Brave shields. Of course you can add uBO. But in that case I should only use Medium Mode, eventually with noop rules for often visited TLD's (so-called easy MM). Further you have the choise to add filterlists to uBO ór to Brave.
Exactly, I only disabled ad 'n trackers protection, no fingerprint nor the others

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
Exactly, I only disabled ad 'n trackers protection, no fingerprint nor the others
Indeed, inside Brave Shields 'Trackers & ads blocking' can be separately disabled. A little warning: the combination Brave + uBO makes you more fingerprintable. Though I'm not sure if a testsite notices this (edit: because Brave randomizes the fingerprint, so it's never the same).

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.